Tips and Pics of custom headers

-
Grinding, sanding , and a little polishing today. You could do this forever, its easy to spend time trying to smooth every pit, angel, blend.

Attachments

• IMG_20140426_204424_240.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20140426_204448_350.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_20140426_214114_690.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 453
My welds are getting better and better. Been years before this project that I even picked up a mig welder. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_20140426_214147_454.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 438
Sweet bead! :supz:
A lot to be said about some seat time. Practice makes perfect! Do you have someone in mind for the thermal coating and what type of finish? I went with the flat silver as the chrome like finish required polishing every inch after they were coated. The flat silver has not changed or discolored after more than 2,000 mls. and requires no maintenance. Whatever you choose, they're going to look bad *** when your done! :glasses7:
Larry

Performance coatings is a company my dad used when he worked for Seattle pd. So we should get a good discount. I am hoping to do a flat copper color for the coating.

Still got a lot of work left grinding welding and polishing but I'm in the home stretch.

Attachments

• IMG_20140429_184953_229.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 397
They look beautiful! Can't wait to see them in copper! :cheers:
Almost time to listen to them. Got a plan for the rest of the exhaust? X or H pipe? Muffs?
Very nice work! :glasses7:
Larry

3" pipes to the old flowmaster with 3" turndowns under where the backseat use to be. I've had side exit exhaust before and I don't like the looks. Mine tub and leaf spring location next means there isn't enough room to go all the way out back either. I figure I got another week of cleaning them up. I can't wait to here/feel the difference form the restrictive manifolds. Turing out pretty good for using a prebend chevy kit.

I tried the side pipe thing too and hated it. Tried split tips, oval tips and slash cut tips and none of it looked right. I went with turn downs kicked out just a little bit and I'm good with that. Minis and spring relo on mine as well with frame cons. Keep the photos coming!
Larry :glasses7:

Attachments

• March 004.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 381
  • March 021.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 403
  • March 025.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 381
A few more pics of headers

Attachments

• IMG_20140502_153958_442.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_20140502_154123_361.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20140502_154340_999.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 358
This is pic of home made slip connector. Still need to fabricate a tab to bolt header together at slip joint.

Edit: I'll try again to get pic

I tried the side pipe thing too and hated it. Tried split tips, oval tips and slash cut tips and none of it looked right. I went with turn downs kicked out just a little bit and I'm good with that. Minis and spring relo on mine as well with frame cons. Keep the photos coming!

How does this sound?

I can tell ya my exhaust I had on my car was similar, except manifolds no headers was extremely loud. More so inside the car than outside. harmonics from the flowmaster with the tailpipe turned down would rattle screws loose on interior trim pieces. Side exhaust I had was quieter inside and a little louder outside the car.

How does this sound?

Didn't sound bad. I kind of like it, just couldn't get past the look. A lot quieter in the car than the turn downs. I tipped up the tips a little when I was farting around with the side pipes and learned quick to make sure no one was standing next to the car when I goosed the throttle. The condensation from the exhaust puddled in the low spot and when you hit it, boiling hot water would shoot 5ft out tips. After that I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the tips but it still shot out water. Then I gave up on the idea before I hurt someone. Live and learn.

Welder is still in the shop waiting on a part so I've been unable to make any real progress. I spent some time polishing couple drivers side pipes. Should have welder this weekend and be able to finish these up finally.

Attachments

• IMG_20140514_172904_316.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20140514_173039_959.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20140514_173031_012.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20140514_172945_807.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 328
Well I fired up the car finally with the headers on but no collectors. Sounds fantastic. Though in my rush to fire it up I forgot to tighten my oil filter adapter and made a big mess under the car. That was about 2 months ago and I haven't had the time to finish up the headers. I will be back at emerald here in the next month with pics to follow.

Really a much easier project than I thought it would be.

I'm looking for tips and pictures of weld-up header kits in the early A's. My car is a manual steering, manual break, manual transmission. I'm gonna keep them as simple as I can. I know steering shaft, starter, and z bar are things to watch for as well as spark plug clearance.

I got a flange from summit picked out
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dou-h7880

and I picked out this kit due to what I think ill need bend wise. Also from summit
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670196

So if you have pics of your custom headers or ones a shop did for you post em up please.
If you have some ideas on a good way to route that pain in a$$ drivers side lets here it.

If you have not ordered from Summit yet, hold off a couple of days. I have a custom header kit for sale. I will send pictures asap.

Anyone starting this project can get a generic set of LA headers, passenger side seems to be a universal fit. Driver side is cut and burn. Excellent work, 1 question: why did you take #1 outside the steering shaft? 1 less bend down under? That copper color will look sweet!

Cylinder 1 and 7 after they make three bend down have slip fit connectors' that with the cut flange makes for a super easy install/removal of the headers. Only requires removing the mini starter.

These headers fit great but I also made sure they where not difficult to install.

-
Back