Tips! How to roll rear wheel lip

-
Ive read the reviews on them. Seems they work great on newer cars but the older with thicker metal not so much.

Good point. I'll bet the body shops would use a hammer and dolly but you have to refinish the outside of the quarter.

Floor jack and baseball bat. Position baseball bat between tire and wheel lip then jack the rear axle up until the bat is pinched between the tire and wheel lip then trun tire by hand rolling the bat back and forth over radius of wheel opening jack and repeat until desired finish go slow and enjoy the result with no damage or cost.

Floor jack and baseball bat. Position baseball bat between tire and wheel lip then jack the rear axle up until the bat is pinched between the tire and wheel lip then trun tire by hand rolling the bat back and forth over radius of wheel opening jack and repeat until desired finish go slow and enjoy the result with no damage or cost.

Can i do this backwards and jack the body up off the suspension then lower it? I have pretty big tires and no room for a baseball bat between

Baseball bat works.He is commenting,on the rolled lip,catching the sidewall,my guess.

Wow, Baseball bat, I didn't know any one else did this. This was an old trick back in the day. Sidewalls were thin on my tires. Sometimes you could push the quarters out and it would look like it came that way. Two guys one hold the bat and another move the car front and back. I always held the bat on my car.

You want crease peaks along the fender lip, have at it.

Darts and Scamps are a ***** to roll the lip and not mess up the outer edge.

If the car is not painted, cut the lip back and tack it iof necessary, no bulges on the outer skin.

i used a block of 4x4 and a bodyhammer. then the bat and a 300 pound guy sittin on the quarter .lol:p

Back when they were new who cared. about the quarters. It was the tires that were needed. I remember Pushing the quarters out with a port-a power on some of the darts. 15x9.50's on 8 inch wheels on a 68 dart with wheel well chome. And they didn't rub.

Yeah rolling the lips goes way back

Attachments

• scan0006[1].jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 726
  • !CID__DSC00124.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 731
Nice,440! Personally,worked a piece of 2 by 4.Stretched,slowly on El Camino 1/4 panels.Used the Toyota floor jack.(I luv low buck.).

use a heat gun on the paint and you may not crack it while you are rolling one...or two.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEgi-Fa6Hw"]How To: Rolling Your Fenders the Right Way... for FREE - YouTube[/ame] just skip to 2:30

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LdDAa6TNWE"]Guard rolling gone wrong - YouTube[/ame]

I used the baseball bat trick back in the day, josh just got done paintin his car and all the body work is done so he's best to cut the lip and touch up the bare metal....Just Sayin.......

The baseball bat works on really nice round wheel openings. But like Cracked said on a Dart or Scamp your asking for trouble. I would cut reliefs in the inner pinch weld and gently tap the lip from the inside forcing it up into the wheel house. Use a piece of wood on the outside so that the quarter has some reinforcement. Thats how I have done it over the years and it wont mess up the paint.

-
Back