tire to quarter clearance

-

345man2

Reaction score
tried a set of 275 drag radial today on for size there was about 7/16 to 1/2 clearance from tire to quarter what you guys think:blob:

duster:blob:
I have a 69 Barracuda and just tried to put some 29" tall tires on the back. They just barely touch in front. Putting a 1/4" spacer between the front spring mount and the body...I hope it's enough??? I'm probably also going to slot out the spring pad saddle another 1/16" to slide the rear end back just a little more for insurance.

treblig

I'm probably also going to slot out the spring pad saddle another 1/16" to slide the rear end back just a little more for insurance.

I am not sure that I understand what your plan is here, but it doesn't sound good...
Adding the spacer block in front of the front spring mount should be adequate.
C

I have a 68 Bcuda with 325/50-15s out back. Did what Treblig did,plus massaging,plus relocation,plus narrowing. 1/8 to the relocated spring, 1/4 to the massaged inner, and about 1/2 to the lip.

I'm probably also going to slot out the spring pad saddle another 1/16" to slide the rear end back just a little more for insurance.

I am not sure that I understand what your plan is here, but it doesn't sound good...
Adding the spacer block in front of the front spring mount should be adequate.
C

Well my plan was to get as much clearance as possible in front of the tire. I figured that if 1/4" was enough, another 1/16" wouldn't hurt. In the spring pad (the one that's welded to the axle tube) there is a hole used to locate the spring bolt. If you elongate this hole you can move the differential back another 1/16". You could actually move it more if you slotted the hole more. But since you're moving the axle further and further from the spring center (pivot point) it probably wouldn't be smart to move it too much. So I figured a 1/16" would be OK. That would give a me a total of 5/16" clearance up front. The only limiting factor here is the gas tank. If you push the differential back too far you'll end up against the gas tank.
For some reason Mopar put the rear tire closer to the front of the wheel well. When you install tall tires it makes the tire look like it's sitting too far forward (not centered in the wheel well). So by moving the tire (differential) further back you accomplish two things, you make the car look better and you get adequate clearance for the bigger tire. Plus, IT LOOKS BAD @SS!!!!!
I should have some pics next week when I get the car off the lift. Just remember....I going for the old school 60s look which may not be easy for some to swallow!!
Treblig

checked it again one side is 3/4 clearance and the passenger ii have 7/16 what you think:blob:

Im running 275/60r15's on my demon and they clear the wheel well lip except for the left side rubs the side of the tire just a tad when i launch her. But im also running a 68 8 3/4 rear sbp with half inch adapters to adapt it to lbp

View attachment image.jpg

that's some good info thanks, if I put a 1/8 shim in front of the spring mount that will give me an easy 1/2 to 5/8 clearance and that should be good , when the cal tracs launch the body raises so I don't think it will squat into the quarter:D

any one else got ideas:blob:

Just about finished my Barracuda. Installed the 1/4" spacer in front of the front spring bracket and slotted the spring perches 1/16". you could use a 5/16" spacer in front of the spring bracket and it will leave just enough stud to get the nut on there all the way. You could also slot your spring perch 1/8"" and it would give you even more. But remember....as you move your differential towards the back you might also be misaligning your shock mounts. I'm moving my shock mounts so that they stay aligned. There aren't too many other ways to create more clearance besides doing a little surgery!!!

Treblig

I am thinking about an 1/8 spacer which should give me an easy 9/16 of clearance maybe 5/8 :blob:which should be plenty cause drag radial tires aren't suppose to grow like regular slicks

Remember that a tire gets bigger around as it spins.
This will give you more clearance for the fender lip, but less for the body in front of the tire.
(just in case you are measuring with the tires sitting still :))

I am thinking about an 1/8 spacer which should give me an easy 9/16 of clearance maybe 5/8 :blob:which should be plenty cause drag radial tires aren't suppose to grow like regular slicks

I forgot to mention that your driveshaft also gets pulled out of your transmission as you pull the rear end towards the back. I'm also getting a longer driveshaft. As far as "getting the right size tires".....that wouldn't be any fun!!! It also wouldn't get me the "look" I'm shooting for...:blob:

The way I look at it, if you're going to go through all the trouble of removing your spring assemblies you may as well put in the biggest spacer you can get away with. The bigger the spacer the more it will center the tire in the wheel well. JMO

treblig

the gear ratio and motor build is the reason im wanting the most tire I can get so it will run through the quarter on motor without turning the motor out of its mind if it wasn't for that I would go with the 255 drag radial and have a ton of room but according to how it does the 255 would put the engine in the twilight zone in the quarter its got a 4 30 gear right now and motor topped out at 6800 on dyno

-
Back