TIRED

-
Well, things have changed. I called in that Thursday to go take the test. I did well on the math section, but missed one to many on the oral instruction part...... So I didn't get the job. When I went in the next day, I was seriously confronted by dude. Asked where was I at. Told him I did call in. He did not like that answer, I told him it was personal business, and I could tell he was just getting more and more ticked off. Well, he ended up firing me on the spot. Gave me two weeks pay. Still have yet to find work. Can't go back to previous place cause like an idiot I didn't work my two weeks. *sigh* But I have a couple leads, one place is always hiring, at least I hope they still are. They have high turnover as it is. So I/WE were right about not telling dude I was looking for work. I wished him good luck, cause he is going to need it. More later.
whoa hey - I missed this - damn man.. hoping things take a turn for the better for you SOON

Well, start a new job tomorrow the 29th of August. Working with paint, so it's not a new field to learn. Also not the greatest of pay but gotta start somewhere. With 17 years experience I'm already ahead. Running out of chances at 59 years old so I have to make this work. As the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers said, ' Onward Through the Fog'. I think they meant another type of fog... LOL

Well, start a new job tomorrow the 29th of August. Working with paint, so it's not a new field to learn. Also not the greatest of pay but gotta start somewhere. With 17 years experience I'm already ahead. Running out of chances at 59 years old so I have to make this work. As the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers said, ' Onward Through the Fog'. I think they meant another type of fog... LOL

Good to hear...it's always easier to get a job when you have a job, with a positive attitude this could lead to the best job yet and it will all have happened for a reason.

Two days down, pretty easy work. Just have to be on my feet all the time. But I'll make it work.

Moved over to a faster line. Still not heavy, but using muscles that haven't been used that way. Now I got in here through temp agency, but big boss commented about me setting up and running similar machines. Told him what I did, didn't BS him and I had 17 years experience with coatings. Well Friday the 8th of Sept the lead came up to me and gave me a couple of applications. Also had someone tell me I was going to get qualified on a forklift. I did tell both bosses that I just needed a way in, thats all i needed. Job is 6 miles one way, thats pretty close. But I will make it, I have the job now I have to make it work. Another day another dollar. Keep busy so the boss don't holler.

Good to hear that you are being recognized for your skills.

Im from Racine.... just north of KR on Meacham rd.

Ok, another update. Still there at the paint factory; body isn't as achy after two days in a row, at least quicker recovery. But this will be my first three day weekend, this will be where the rubber meets the road. When I got this job, I threw out a bunch of online apps for chemical operator at the same time, one of the hits was for a place right next door to where I am now. Not paint, but still in the chemical field. Anyway, went to an interview today. Seemed to go ok, nothing to say it was a bust. You really can't tell with interviews, unless it is obvious the interviewer isn't there mentally. LOL Would be nice to get this job, more pay, and weekdays only. NO 12 HOUR SHIFTS! Yeah, 2nd shift, but reread the capital letter sentence. It starts out about $3.50 more an hour. That could end up covering two bills; phone and cable. Not complaining here, but want to tell you where I am at. I am single and live alone, I talk to my brother a lot about whats going on, but he has a lot stuff on his plate right now, so it is time for me to listen to him so I try not to unload my crap onto his plate. So therefore I do it here. Sorry about doing that, but I don't want to become to fricking isolated, that is not good.

Sounds like things are picking up steam. Good on ya! Read the first entry on this thread, you sound a lot better!

Personally I'll take 12s over 8s. I get 4 days off that way. But to each their own! Good to heat you are back in the saddle!

Yeah, there is a trade off. With 12's you only work 7 days every two weeks, plus use two days vacay and you get almost a week off. Things like that. But I'm a stinking zombie so far at 6:30 anyway, plus if I go to permanent at the paint company I would go to 6;00pm to 6:30 am...... Ugh.......No bueno.

This is great news! Went from no job to working and a possible second opportunity! Try and make your decision based on longevity and upward promotional chances in the future. Cream always rises to the top, you work hard, be dependable, and stay positive. You will be rewarded!

I think everything you've posted in all positive Louie!! You now have a job, so the pressure is off there, and you have another offer so you're in demand, another positive for your mental outlook! It's now just a matter of tweaking your work to fit your life! Remember, work is just a means to do what you'd really rather be doing!!

Louie,. Hope things are going well.

If you don't already, try taking Vitamin D and Super B Complex.

I started them about 6 months ago on the advice of my doctor and I have more energy. Anything that helps!!!

This is great news! Went from no job to working and a possible second opportunity! Try and make your decision based on longevity and upward promotional chances in the future. Cream always rises to the top, you work hard, be dependable, and stay positive. You will be rewarded!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That doesn`t hold true in the plumbing industry. Saw quite a few lazy "suck asses" get promoted cause they knew the work (some of the time) but too lazy to work. They talked a good line of s-- w/ the bosses. Even saw a guy get promoted that ran 360 ft of 6" clay tile sewer line backwards, get promoted to foreman! They wanted the really good guys out doing the job, = $$ for them .

Thanks everyone. Been some highs and some lows. Getting used to the 12 hour shifts and every other weekend at three days. Had another interview week ago last Monday. Still waiting for the results from that.... Taking some getting used to chasing after a machine. I feel the need to do it all, all the time. Guy I work with told me to take it easy. Not good doing the headless chicken routine. So we'll see what happens from here. Gotta keep telling myself it could be worse.

Thanks everyone. Been some highs and some lows. Getting used to the 12 hour shifts and every other weekend at three days. Had another interview week ago last Monday. Still waiting for the results from that.... Taking some getting used to chasing after a machine. I feel the need to do it all, all the time. Guy I work with told me to take it easy. Not good doing the headless chicken routine. So we'll see what happens from here. Gotta keep telling myself it could be worse.

That last scentence is the key. There are others in the same boat as you with very bad health. My last job sucked big time. One hour drive each way and I was on call every other week and even was on call for a month straight when o didn't have someone working with me. I can remember finally getting home after the long commute and walking up to grab my doorknob when my phone range with someone who had no hot water. Drove an hour back to work and changed the water heater. Start the drive back home and I get called back in for a no AC call. I ended up having to replace the outside unit. Ended up sleeping on the couch in the office and clocked back in at 7 to do it all again.

Spent close to 20 years in the USPS. All of it doing one repetitive motion jobs after another. Last 6 years there is hit the Social Security income cap...over $100k a year. One of those years I had the highest income of any craft employee in the facility. Worked at a check printer for 6 or so years prior to that. Had lead poisoning 9 times. Hung 70 pound lead pigs with my left arm.
Forced out of the USPS, labeled as a "hazard to self and others". All the repetitive motion tore me uposted physically. Struggling with retirement, mentally. Feels like I no longer have a purpose. Often look at the bottle of Xanax...or the bottles of Oxy....or the business end of a hand gun...as a solution...

Hang in there ink..... You beat the bastards so far, why give up now?

Update. I am working at a company close to home, but isn't paying enough to cover my bills. I may have to either get a part time job or stop cable/internet and phone until more cash comes in.. But I have an interview Thursday for a development technician which is basically what I did before I was laid off. No contract, but direct hire. Send all good vibes my way please!! Prayers, anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I read through this thread, but I'm kind of scratching my head a little. I live in a real small town, so driving to work is a given. If we can find work 15 - 25 miles from home, we count it a blessing. Many from my town drive 40 miles one way (or further).

As for me, I've always taken what I can get, and adjust lifestyle accordingly until things take a turn for the better (and they always have). I've had good jobs leave and I've started at rock bottom (minimum wage or just a little higher), but I knew that is not where I would stay. I've always been rewarded for hard work and good attitude.

Louie, seems you can find jobs easy enough. I hope the latest and greatest works out. Just remember, nobody going to sing the song of the last 30 years. You walk in to a new job, your new. The only seniority that counts is the guy that started a day ahead of you. What you'll get you'll have to earn. 59 or 29, commute of 5 minute or 45 minute, none of it matters to the company or boss man.

Well, I haven't called in to work. First let me say I'm feeling pretty low right now. Got my property tax check and I'm about $200 short. On top of that my car registration is due. I don't have enough to cover my bills. Will probably have to let phone, cable and internet go unless something changes here real quick. Was supposed to get a raise about a month ago and still waiting.... Doubt if it will be retroactive with these cheap bastards. On top of that work will be shut down after the 19th until Jan 2nd. Not what I need. Will ask if possible to come in and work some days during that time. Tried not to put my life out there, but I need to get this off my chest. Help? Probably not.... Just about done here. And only done with trying to make it work at this job. Tempted to tell them if I don't get this raise I will have to go elsewhere. I can't survive at this pay..... If this was in another forum, I think an f bomb would be appropriate right about now.

Last edited:
Went in this morning, lack of work so was sent home....... What else needs to be said. Either I can get on the payroll real soon, like next several weeks cause there is an opening, or I go to slave agency for another assignment. I was against the living wage, but that was for those who were working at fast food restaurants. Not what I would call a career job. I will try to keep my chin up, if only for one swing at the knockout blow.

Louie, I was talking to a friend of mine who is a locksmith up there. He lives out in Union Grove but he's told me all that's gone on up there since the Motor's moved out. I had not realized the town has gone down the tubes so far. It's hard to hear that there's no industries left at all after what used to be there! With your chemical background does Quad Graphics offer any possibilities at all? They're a printing house as you know.

Hey, the Karma has got to turn your way soon, you've been backing up through the door too long! I am believing you're due!

Sorry to hear of your tough times. It can happen to anyone nowadays, all you can do is stay upbeat and positive, count your blessings, and keep putting yourself out there. All it takes is one moment for things to change for the better.

-
Back