tisket a tasket what kind of gasket? LOL

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
So I'm going through my gaskets trying to see what I have and see what I need to buy and I see this pair of valve cover gaskets? They're black, they're not cork, I don't think and they're not rubber. they're kind of thick looking and semi hard? They're the right configuration and they would fit it looks but very thick and weird. I normally just RTV cork gaskets to my valve covers nothing on the other side against the cast heads.
Does anybody have any kind of idea with these are?
Thank you for anybody's/ everybody's experience or thoughts...
Of course I'm not talking about the cork one laying down but the black one in my hand.
20171221_105226.jpg

Those are typical of some stock replacement sets. Correct ones had retaining tabs that went into the notches in the valve covers. These are close to OEM. I never really liked the way any gasket seals with stamped valve covers, but those actually soften a little with engine heat and end up ok.

I have always had good success with those [whatever they are made of] gaskets. Lightly RTV them into the cover, let it set a bit, and they can be pulled on and off multiple times.

I have used these on several builds. Cast and stamped covers iron and alum heads. Straighten stamped rails, clean everything with acetone, light permatex, especially around bolt holes. They seal well, are not near as prone to over torquing problems. I like them.

Am I the only one that uses Indian Head Shellac on valve cover gaskets? I also use it on oil pan gaskets as well....

Make sure you apply a coat of grease to the head side before installing to prevent them sticking and tearing when you remove in the future. Mine have been on and off at least 10 times for valve adjustment (solid cam) and still no leaks.

Am I the only one that uses Indian Head Shellac on valve cover gaskets? I also use it on oil pan gaskets as well....
I use that, and aviation gasket maker on all sorts of gaskets. I use it on everything from shitty paper gaskets to 40 tonne articulated hauler transmissions. It works great on metal sealing washers. Indian head and aviation gasket maket looks and smells the same. Smells like dead brain cells. I kinda like it.

No you're not the only one damn it the Jack wheel that put this pan gasket on did and that s***'s like cement and no need for all that.

That was a good nap I just took and woke up to find out that these are fine to use! Thank you everyone. I'm sure they were in that last rebuild kit from that pink 318 from this summer. I probably had some cork gaskets laying around that I prefer to use cuz I'm familiar with them. It will give these a shot. Thank you everyone for your comments....

That was a good nap I just took and woke up to find out that these are fine to use! Thank you everyone. I'm sure they were in that last rebuild kit from that pink 318 from this summer. I probably had some cork gaskets laying around that I prefer to use cuz I'm familiar with them. It will give these a shot. Thank you everyone for your comments....
Corks are hated, but I've been using them for years and years, never really a problem. I use shellac around my water pump gasket too. I've never had a problem disassembling. I don't know what they used on your motor.
were soon to be in a deep freeze, so my junk will be "frozen in time" :D

If they are what they look like, not rubber, those are rock hard garbage gaskets that will leak with about any stamped cover. 1st hand experience.

I would maybe use those with cast aluminum ,m/t ,mp, wieand,cal custom etc...but not stamped.

Cork, torqued correctly, seal great and i stand by recommending them, rubber 2nd.

I'm not seeing how this hard gasket is going to steal against that cast either?

If they are what they look like, not rubber, those are rock hard garbage gaskets that will leak with about any stamped cover. 1st hand experience.

I would maybe use those with cast aluminum ,m/t ,mp, wieand,cal custom etc...but not stamped.

Cork, torqued correctly, seal great and i stand by recommending them, rubber 2nd.

I'd like to resurrect this old thread.

I had been putting off replacing the V/C gaskets on one of my 360 LA motors that had developed an oil leak, and the engine got really greasy and dirty. It was a lot of fun cleaning it off. I'm pretty sure it was leaking at the V/C gaskets, but I really had to clean it up to make sure the leak wasn't coming from somewhere else. (It would have cost me $100 to have the engine steam cleaned, and I have more time than money.)

Also, the last guy who replaced the V/C gaskets on this vehicle glued them to the valve covers with Permatex all the way around. What a PIA to remove! I understand why the instructions say not to do that. After degreasing the V/Cs, I wound up sandblasting them, cleaning them carefully and painting them afterward because that was the easiest way to get rid of the old Permatex.

Then I went to O'Reilly Auto to buy V/C gaskets, but they didn't have any and said they couldn't order any! Rusty, does that sound correct to you?

Then I went to AutoZone. They had Fel Pro VS50184R in stock, which seems to be the current part number for the high-temp rubber-coated fiber gasket. They said they don't even stock the old cork gasket anymore, but the VS50184R costs the same as the old cork one did (~$20), so no complaint there.

I am tentatively planning to install the new gaskets (with the stock stamped valve covers and Moroso 68512 hold downs), gluing the gasket to the V/C with contact cement in a few spots like the Fel Pro instructions say, and applying high-temp disc brake wheel bearing grease to the head side.

Any words of wisdom for me, guys?

I think on my really really nice valve covers I used gasket cinch from Edelbrock to glue the cork gaskets to the valve covers. It's more of just kind of a rubber cement then RTV. I've always RTV the gaskets to the valve covers and I haven't had to take them back off once they find their home. In my mind there's two places that can leak from above the gasket or below the gasket and when I remove one of those by RTV'ing the gasket to the valve cover. I assume you're not planning on taking the gaskets off the valve cover again soon? Once they're replace the new? I myself have adjustable rockers so from time to time I'm in and out of the valve covers.

I HATE those cheep gaskets!

They will never seal and always leak. Throw them in the garbage and use cork or the nice blue felpro ones....

I like the gray rubber covered wire ones you got in the PAW MP gasket kits back then. I am using one of those black thick ones for my cast cover turbo plenum as I think they would stand up great under a cast cover with 9psi under them. nice stiff cross section.

Thanks for all the replies. Since I already have them, I think I'll try using the cheap Fel Pro gaskets with the Moroso hold-downs and give you guys a report later on whether they leak. I may have to buy the better gaskets later.

-
Back