To be Petty or not to be?

-

godspeedglen

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and I'm seeking some advise. I have a 65 Barracuda, 380 magnum crate with efi. I'm looking for ideas or thoughts on painting my car up like the 65, Petty drag raced. Any ideas where to get big decals that would be correct? Has anyone else here done something like this? I would love to see them if you have. Thanks!

There is a member called challengergary that does decals, try him maybe he could help.

ChallengerGary on here will make you anything you want. He's an awesome guy to deal with.

Are you talking about the 43 Jr "Outlawed?" Personally I think this is a REAL bad idea. There are bad feelings about that car, Petty made it pretty clear he'd just as soon people forgot about it. It's not like it had a "good legacy."

I'm thinking of the later one that had just the 43jr on the doors with the Plymouth on the rears.

I think it would look great.
Find some old pics of the car and have the decals made up, paint it petty blue and i think it would look sweet.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/the-year-petty-went-drag-racing/
the-year-petty-went-drag-racing

43 Jr "Outlawed?" Personally I think this is a REAL bad ideal x2 man i had the same ideal for mine ..... then got to know the history of the car its not a good one ..... its a cool looking car and all ... but petty dont want to see any more of this car .. he will not even talk bout it my cuda at one time was petty blue we changed it

bad idea X3

you might want to go with his Trans Am car

Bad idea, bad karma, RP buried the car and does not like to talk about it.

"Joining in the Chrysler boycott of NASCAR due to the organizing body's ban of the Hemi engine, Richard spent much of 1965 competing as a drag racer. He crashed his car at the Southeastern Dragway, in Dallas, Georgia, on February 28, 1965, killing an eight year old boy, Wayne Dye, and injuring seven others,] Petty, his father Lee, and Chrysler Corporation faced lawsuits totaling more than $1 million."

To hell with what somebody else wants. If you wanna do the car, do it.

This got me thinking so I went looking for some other old race car pics.

Attachments

• 5417019291_411230c261.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 273
  • rb-6608-49.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 315
Bad idea, bad karma, RP buried the car and does not like to talk about it.

"Joining in the Chrysler boycott of NASCAR due to the organizing body's ban of the Hemi engine, Richard spent much of 1965 competing as a drag racer. He crashed his car at the Southeastern Dragway, in Dallas, Georgia, on February 28, 1965, killing an eight year old boy, Wayne Dye, and injuring seven others,] Petty, his father Lee, and Chrysler Corporation faced lawsuits totaling more than $1 million."

ewe..Death cooties! Those are hard to shake.. Look up Scott Harvey, factory engineer and driver

So it seems people are eecked out by "death cooties"....My car is setup as a drag racer, and I was thinking it would be neat to make some sort of tribute car. Any other 65 Barracudas that might be doable.....I'm not aware of any other drag racer 65's unless it was hemi under glass.

I doubt anyone would have a problem cloning the JR car.........

petty_drag_racer.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan of cloned race cars......why not just come up with your own period correct scheme....be much cooler IMO. :glasses7:

Rickster

well i look at it this way theres going to be guys that like it and theres going to be guys that do its what ever u want to do .... now u do have to have a paper from petty if u do the car all up like his old one im talking down to the nut tho

Thanks for your replies so far guys...I tried to post pics of mine as it sits..but they are awaiting moderator approval.

I just don't get it. Why would you want to "pay tribute" to a car "whose" only claim to fame was getting somebody killed and then buried by the owner?

-
Back