To buy or not?

-
The Dart Sport is worth the investment, my vote goes to the one that's an actual musclecar.
Lol ok. How do you figure?
Plus with my age and what I want to do the 72 would fit it. The 73 is like what? 1-100 car or so then I wouldnt want to change much about it because of the rarity

I would stay a long distance away from that 73. Rust ain't cheap to fix. If it were a year newer and a Demon then yes. The swinger has a lot of potential, and could be a sweet car with minimal investment.

Lol ok. How do you figure?

My opinion?

Sure the Swinger is the easy route, but it's always going to be just a plain jane, nothing special 318 car. If it caught fire or got demolished in an accident, it wouldn't be missed by anyone. The value of it is, and always will be just the sum of it's parts.

The Sport will take some work to restore, but when it's done he would have an actual piece of Mopar history, and something to be proud of. It's a real 340 car with what is likely the numbers matching engine, and possibly the transmission if they held onto it. It's a factory black/white car which is a popular and desirable color combo. I'm from the midwest, where rust is common, and this car really isn't that bad - you guys in the Southwest are spoiled.

One thing he needs to consider is what he's willing to learn and do for himself. If he pays someone to do everything on his cars, and never wants to do any kind of work on them himself, then he should just get the Swinger and drive it. But if he is willing to get dirty and learn new skills and be a real gearhead, the Sport is the choice.

Another consideration is what he wants to do with the car. If he wants to race, he should get the Swinger. Cutting it up won't matter to anyone. If he wants to do the car show scene and cruise nights with a nice looking car that he's proud of, the Sport is ultimately gonna get more thumbs up and appreciation from people.

Wow you sure are one opinionated dude! lol I get plenty of looks and thumbs up in my swinger anywhere I go. Both cars could be equally as cool as eachother with some work. Way more with the sport because of the condition its currently in. The ONLY thing the sport has going for it, is that its a 340 car.

My opinion?

Sure the Swinger is the easy route, but it's always going to be just a plain jane, nothing special 318 car. If it caught fire or got demolished in an accident, it wouldn't be missed by anyone. The value of it is, and always will be just the sum of it's parts.

The Sport will take some work to restore, but when it's done he would have an actual piece of Mopar history, and something to be proud of. It's a real 340 car with what is likely the numbers matching engine, and possibly the transmission if they held onto it. It's a factory black/white car which is a popular and desirable color combo. I'm from the midwest, where rust is common, and this car really isn't that bad - you guys in the Southwest are spoiled.

One thing he needs to consider is what he's willing to learn and do for himself. If he pays someone to do everything on his cars, and never wants to do any kind of work on them himself, then he should just get the Swinger and drive it. But if he is willing to get dirty and learn new skills and be a real gearhead, the Sport is the choice.

Another consideration is what he wants to do with the car. If he wants to race, he should get the Swinger. Cutting it up won't matter to anyone. If he wants to do the car show scene and cruise nights with a nice looking car that he's proud of, the Sport is ultimately gonna get more thumbs up and appreciation from people.

my 67 dart gt was a lack luster piece of **** grocery getter when i got it.

sliders024.jpg

now it will kick you in the teeth, kiss your girl and take your lunch money.

newshoes025.jpg

problem is the sport need at minimum $2000 worth of metal. and unless you can do it yourself three time that into getting the car ready for paint. then you don't even know if the thing runs. by the time you're done you have way too much into it.. it will be worth no where near what you put into it. and its still a beak car. i know we usually don't get back what we put into our cars. but if you buy the sport your starting in a hole already.

if you really want a sport i say save more money and guy a nicer one..

I'd go with the 72, I've actually been trying to talk my dad into going to look at it. Its in the Indianapolis Craigslist. He keeps lowering his price, $100 a week too. I think it looks clean and you could probably get it at a really fair price. He seems pretty motivated! Good luck on your decision!

I'd go with the 72, I've actually been trying to talk my dad into going to look at it. Its in the Indianapolis Craigslist. He keeps lowering his price, $100 a week too. I think it looks clean and you could probably get it at a really fair price. He seems pretty motivated! Good luck on your decision!

Yeah I've watched the posts since his first one, I just got around to getting time to go look. I agree for the price it seems pretty good but I wanna check it over pretty good before I buy.

Actually my only problem is if I get one, Ill move the jeep to the back burner

I'd definitely check it out really well first. Where in Indiana are you located?

All over! Live and work around Tipton but Im in college in Vincennes. How about you?

there's a lot you can do with that 72 (not that it needs much, but i mean, if you want to). Either drive it as-is, or put a 8.75/8.25 sure grip in it, 4v intake and carb, headers, better cam... Really wake it up a lot, and if you're not in a hurry, you can do it for not much money. It could be a real sweet car. I'd go for that one in a heartbeat over that particular sport 340.

The interior is always personal preference, but that interior is awesome. I'm partial, since it's the same as my 72's, but those seats are really nice, and nothing wrong with a bench seat, especially with the fold down arm rest. It's classy and sporty at the same time! To me, column shifts on a car are more retro, because hardly any car has a column shift anymore. It's part of the feel of an old cruiser to me.

Either way, enjoy it!
x2

Thats what I hear, better then mine! I like the town a lot more then down here

Definitely the 72 is the way to go........in my opinion.
I've owned 35 cars in my life time and my only advice to you is always
go for the most solid car you can get. Rust repair cost money.

Wilson

Attachments

• mower 009.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 143
I ended up purchasing the 72 for those of you wondering. Got a better price then listed

my 67 dart gt was a lack luster piece of **** grocery getter when i got it.

sliders024.jpg

now it will kick you in the teeth, kiss your girl and take your lunch money.

newshoes025.jpg

LOL... I loved the way you put that young gun.. mine was a completely plain jane, /6 grocery getting, beat *** Dart... Not anymore.. they're all Mopar history.. from the grocery getters to the Hemi cars.. they're all worth something.. All that numbers matching, 'true muscle car' stuff is great and all.. and I would never knock anyone for being into that... ever... but to me, thats all a collectability thing.. I wanted something I could make my very own... not only a piece of Mopar history, but a piece of MY history.. Something for my kids and my grandson, to be able to point to and associate with me.. Its all about what exactly you want your car to be... I think she turned out nice..

Attachments

• resto1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 87
  • done2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 89
-
Back