To part out or not '68 fish

-

Wicked31

Reaction score
Just getting this thread started more pics tomorrow. I would like to know others opinions on wether I should part this one out or restore.
Here's the info I know : '68 barracuda original 318 4 speed car 8 3/4 rear end
I got this car for the motor not original (340) and trans that I want to put in my '68 dart. Body is rough and rotted but almost all there. I'll post picks as I get into it. I'm just not sure if it's worth restoring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 223
I parted out a 67 fastback and made about $3000.00. The Car had no eng or trans or interior and mine was missing all the front suspension and steering!! The trim around the rear glass (in good condition) goes for $300, the front for $200/$250.

treblig

All things considered, parting out is about as much work and time consuming as restoring.

Wish I could figure out how to post more than one pic at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 209
It's starting to look like it might be worth restoring???? All it takes is time and money!!:burnout:

Treblig

Glass is all good. A little rot between driver side rear window and rear window.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 172
Both quarters and rockers are rotted but I have new rockers and skins for quarters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 171
looks pretty good to me .....considering its a 68 barracuda fastback which is probably one of the most desirable years and body styles of GEN2 barracudas.......I would put more effort into it for that reason if it were me.

Gen 2 barracuda is to A-bodies what 68-70 chargers are to B-bodies.

its not just some valiant and they are not making them anymore.....so fix FIX FIX!!!!

One more photo till I tear into it some more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 166
still lookin good to me .....the fender is the hardest part because no one re-pops them and good originals are hard to find but still wouldn't be a deal breaker for me....considering its a 68 FASTBACK :love7:

If you were to farm the work out your at 20k or more for metal and paint!

It is a 4 speed but not a 340/383 not sure the value to save it is there! JMO.

My 383 auto was not far from that. Blasting made it look much worse. That dang RUST hides well and until you get blasted much can be hidden.

I say restore it. Like Rani stated, they dont make these anymore. Havent for over 40 years. Looks like its got a decent grille and headlight surrounds. Yeah its got some rust, but what 47 year old car thats not been redone doesnt have rust. I have seen way worse cars pieced back together. Yep these are the A body equivalent of the 68-70 chargers.

For many of us the 68 fastback barracuda is the holy grail of the A body world being its the
platform and year for the Hemi.
I myself consider this model my favorite and feel lucky to have found one for my own Hemi project. Sadly many of us have had to weld together cars in worse condition than that one.
My 68 had already been thru salvage when I found her but I remember feeling a lot like
Arnie when he first layed eyes on Christine. She could be fixed up. Lol.
No regrets here with saving mine even though it is not finished yet, but it does help to start with the best car you can afford to save yourself some grief.
I myself had to jump in on the cheap in order to play.
68 fastback, how can you even ask. Save it.

Attachments

• IMG_20141021_080912_266-1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 131
68 fastback........desireable.......far worse have been revived, at least from the pics provided. If it was me I would have a very hard time parting out this one. You have most of the car and some of the hard stuff. My opinion should be obvious!
P.S. My son has one to do so I am a little biased!

save the the 68 cuda
it is well worth saving.

All things considered, parting out is about as much work and time consuming as restoring.

Might be a bit of an exaggeration. I bought a 4-spd car for $3,000 for the 4-spd parts and stripped the entire car down in about a week. It took a few weeks to list parts on Ebay. They all sold. I got my 4-spd conversion parts and wound up making a tidy profit.

I've decided to make this car my next project after my '68 dart. I have a bunch of extra parts that came with the barracuda that I will not be using ( hemi k- member, hemi torsion bars, front disc brake conversion kit w/ spindles and tubular uca's). I will be posting this stuff in the classifieds once I get pics. Does anybody have any idea what these parts might be worth.

2 68's! Most excellent combo. In my opinion you are doing the right thing even if you end up selling vs building it compared to parting it out.

-
Back