To Restore or Not to Restore

-
Green1

How long have you been in orange park? Me and this car used to run the streets there and was an original member in first coast mopar.

since 1981, but the Duster has always been on jack stands (work, etc, family). Decided to finish it 3 years ago, and immediately got laid off (construction). It hasn't seen Blanding Bvld since 1983.

Green1

I left in 88, thought we might of crossed paths once....

personally, i would recommend rather than spending big money at year one...

get a fresh headliner & carpets if needed

have the seats reupholstered, possibly even with leather. it's a lot cheaper than you think if you can find an interior resto person. they will be NICER than the original vinyl, and look the same. they can do dashes and door panels to match as well. even put piping that matches your exterior color.

then after that if you need specific interior items get them from year one, or similar joints. flasher switches, glove box, whatever

you will save probably half that amount. with the extra money, pick up a little project car for the honey

Back on subject!

Need help to confirm some things prior to ordering parts please!!!

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/1969383s/

I have posted some pics after doing some exploritory work to confirm I am ordering the correct parts. Looks like B5 is the color of the upper door jambs and interior trim. B7 seems to be the color of the dash metal but did not pull the pad to confirm yet. Suprised to still find the plastic vapor barriers in place under the door panels. There is no way to confirm the original carpet color but plan to order all interior items in medium blue. Should it be light blue? Year Ones site has both in some pieces but just bright blue on others (A little confusing). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I can post my order list from year one if that would help.

This is my standard B5 interior, The dash color I had to make and used flat PPG clearcoat. The dash is actually late Chrysler Corp 80's early 90's aqua marine I tinted till I got it dialed in.

Attachments

• 100_0285 (600 x 400).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_0286 (600 x 400).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_0283 (600 x 400).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 207
4404spd

Thanks alot for posting those pics. The color of the your dash looks like what I am seeing on mine, and it looks flat. Has your headliner and carpet been changed? if so is it medium blue?

4404spd

Thanks alot for posting those pics. The color of the your dash looks like what I am seeing on mine, and it looks flat. Has your headliner and carpet been changed? if so is it medium blue?
Its been replaced. From what mine had and others i looked at B5 interiors that are the standard trim have Dark blue headliners and carpet and dark blue seat belts. If you want medium blue I have a brand new fastback headliner. To me the med blue dont look right with the B5. The picture of your headliner color looks like B5 but the med blue headliner material isnt that color.

Its been replaced. From what mine had and others i looked at B5 interiors that are the standard trim have Dark blue headliners and carpet and dark blue seat belts. If you want medium blue I have a brand new fastback headliner. To me the med blue dont look right with the B5. The picture of your headliner color looks like B5 but the med blue headliner material isnt that color.

Thanks again.....

My headliner looks real light. I will take a sample with me as I would like to keep it as close to what it came with. I guess I need to pull the seats and black carpet and hope there may be an old scrap of the original under there. If you have a rear cargo hatch door or just the latch and trim I would be intrested.

Thanks again.....

My headliner looks real light. I will take a sample with me as I would like to keep it as close to what it came with. I guess I need to pull the seats and black carpet and hope there may be an old scrap of the original under there. If you have a rear cargo hatch door or just the latch and trim I would be intrested.
I don't, But im sure there are guys here with extras. I also noticed your front seats arn't original, They look like they might be 67's.

1967_plymouth_barracuda-pic-4307902020798584341.jpg

I would say they are 67 looking at this picture assuming "these" are correct to the car.

So much for putting it back to way it was delivered.... This could compound very quickly. Hope the rear seat is the same 67 to 69 or something will need to be replaced not just recovered.

Gerald, solely in my opinion and with all due respect, if your biggest concern is that the end result will be worth the money investment you spend to get there, you're in the wrong hobby. These days the satisfaction is measured in Smiles Per Gallon. Even the rarest of the rare don't often bring big bucks at resale time and our A Bodies are usually at the bottom of that list (though stature is improving as the more desirable body styles get snatched up).

I can't help with the decode / decisions but from a casual observer, your car looks great and doesn't appear to need much. Seems to be missing a rear bumper but that's a simple fix. Whatever you decide to do, you have the Power of FABO behind you. :-D

x2 well said

x2 well said

Snake,

Thanks for your and cudachick1968 opinions.

At this point I would just like to get as close as possible to as delivered and have a nice ride that I am proud of showing off. I understand that getting one of these cars back to A1+ condition will cost far more than the re-sale value will garner. That is not the direction I have decided to go. That being said, it kinda puts a twist in things when you are putting an order together and might be getting the wrong stuff. Which is the Reason for posting some PICS of the car and requesting opinions from other FABO members. So far, Some members have helped to keep that from happening and that is very much appreciated. I hope others chime in to answer some of the questions I have aleady posed and imagine more will come.

Phase I teardown and catalog complete.

Phase II Starting. "Metal/Body/Paint (Jamacia Blue)

Delivered the 69 to "Hodge Restorations" today in Inman S.C. Will Post Pics as they become available. Thanks to Le and his crew for making a great impression and going over the car and the issues. They Definitely give you a good feeling that your car will be well taken care of. It sure felt like walking into "Mopar Heaven" when you enter the front door. Real excited about seeing the car come back to some of its former glory!

IMGP1349.jpg

Gerald, solely in my opinion and with all due respect, if your biggest concern is that the end result will be worth the money investment you spend to get there, you're in the wrong hobby. These days the satisfaction is measured in Smiles Per Gallon. Even the rarest of the rare don't often bring big bucks at resale time and our A Bodies are usually at the bottom of that list (though stature is improving as the more desirable body styles get snatched up).

I can't help with the decode / decisions but from a casual observer, your car looks great and doesn't appear to need much. Seems to be missing a rear bumper but that's a simple fix. Whatever you decide to do, you have the Power of FABO behind you. :-D

I have to agree. You need to decide for yourself what your car is "worth". Even before I started my restoration people would ask me how much I would take for my car. I tell them, "1 million dollars". They look at me like I'm crazy (which I am) and say, "that car's not worth that much", I reply with, "to me it is".

I have to agree. You need to decide for yourself what your car is "worth". Even before I started my restoration people would ask me how much I would take for my car. I tell them, "1 million dollars". They look at me like I'm crazy (which I am) and say, "that car's not worth that much", I reply with, "to me it is".
I showed my Barracuda to a collector when I started on it and he told me I was out of my mind and the car was junk. Well he was here again a few weeks ago and was floored when he seen it and offered me 35k for it and I told him its not for sale. Im not parting with it so it dont mater what its worth or how much I get offered.

I showed my Barracuda to a collector when I started on it and he told me I was out of my mind and the car was junk. Well he was here again a few weeks ago and was floored when he seen it and offered me 35k for it and I told him its not for sale. Im not parting with it so it dont mater what its worth or how much I get offered.

yep x2

I think you made the right choice.

Nut and bolt restos don't pay of unless they are 100% right and you happen upon a buyer at the right time.

I don't think I could bring myself to cut up a factory big block A body either.

With all that wheel well room, and that glass over the axle, you should be able to find a wheel and sticky tire combo that will hook up without tubs.

x2 on a 7 second car with manifolds. Almost like beatin a 350 with a 318 :)

IIRC- 600 and change 1969 form S 383 plus another 600 and change "cuda" 383 for a total of about 1200 produced.

I couldn't agree with you more, any 383 s car or 340 for that matter, but the fender tag on this one speaks to me.......
I can see it restored to its former glory, with the recall wheels and redlines.
It would be incredible. Easy for me to say, i not doing or paying for the resto....

You asked for opinions.....
I really don't like seeing original rare HP cars cut up. (In spite of the people who say anyone can restore a car but it takes a real man to cut one up. OK.)
Done right, it is worth more stock than modified.

Per Chrysler Historical, there were 603 1969 Formula S FB's built in 69. What percentage are left?
There also were 378 FB 'cuda383 cars built.
These numbers are based on percentages and rounded to the nearest 0.1% exact numbers are not known and never will be. Govier only reports on cars that have actually been registered with him. He has no way of knowing how many cars are left of any model, unless it's the super rare. (71 Hemi cuda verts for instance)

You can still fit a 275/60 x 15 tire in the back with the stock wheel wells. But I think a 255 just looks better. You could even put a 451 Stroker in it dressed like a 383, just keep the original block.

IMO, the vinyl roof trim on your car was a dealer add on. The factory parts manual only shows the halo style vinyl roof (on 3 separate and different fastbacks) and NOT a full vinyl roof except on the coupe (notchback). And that's the only style I remember seeing back in the day.

If you're trying to restore it as an investment then the way to go is to make sure everything is correct and documented. The money in resale is primarily for the most unadulterated documented cars. Big block cars should have all of the "big block specific" parts including the correct exhaust manifolds, oil pan, air cleaner, Z-bar (if it's manual), radiator, etc.. to retain the greatest value.
It looks like you're off to a great start. Keep the updates coming.

Sell it and buy a 6cyl or 318 car and cut it up.No guilt and you may do as you please to the car.

No $ in original, that you can do- parts not there to be bought.#'s match? maybe. Bolts correct? -no. Forget the jackson-Barrett scam. It won't happen.

Restore it to good, the correct way, Then see what happens. Beauty in the eye of the beholder; that wants it.

Whow!!!!!!!!

Are Y'all even reading the my last post?????? I am past the "Opinion Stage"

The car is being is being Resurected!!!!!

Maybe I need to start a new thread on the Re-Birth of a orginal 1969 Formula "S" 383 Fastback with Automatic. Which my research leads me to believe that only 292 or 272 off these were built. I could not bring Myself to cut up one of the few left.

And a big Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread!

The decision to fix not cut has been made!

-
Back