To spray or not to spray

-
Thank you all for your input, if im not mistaken my engine will handle a 100 shot with no problems pending i have all the right tools to use it. And will gain about 125 horses with spray. The thing is, this is my first v8 thats not a truck so im going to need some time to play with the power before i turn to the bottle. We limited my power from the start with the engine builder for that same reason, and i dont plan on pulling my engine to "do it right" on all motor.

If you have a good rotating assembly, the only thing else to worry about is supply it with fuel, and keep the timing where it should be. 4 degrees retarded for every 100 horse you spray is a safe starting point.

If you have a good rotating assembly, the only thing else to worry about is supply it with fuel, and keep the timing where it should be. 4 degrees retarded for every 100 horse you spray is a safe starting point.

Do not ASSUME the fuel supply is ok. Make sure, it is. Nitrous wants something to burn. If not fuel, it will be pistons. Lean is bad.
Remember the old saying, pay me now or pay me later? With other "hop up" methods you spend the money up front. With nitrous, you spend it every time you fill the bottle. There is no free lunch.

Do not ASSUME the fuel supply is ok. Make sure, it is. Nitrous wants something to burn. If not fuel, it will be pistons. Lean is bad.
Remember the old saying, pay me now or pay me later? With other "hop up" methods you spend the money up front. With nitrous, you spend it every time you fill the bottle. There is no free lunch.

I've made hundreds of nitrous passes, I'm fully aware of what it takes to spray 300 horse on 300 cubes so far. :D

I never assumed anything on my previous posts, I said to make sure your fuel was okay, and then timing is next.

is it safe to run a good mechanical pump with a 100shot or 125shot and hyper pistons?

Hyper pistons are fine to run. KB told me their hypers would handle a 200 shot with no issue:
AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THIER RING END GAP GUIDELINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally wouldn't run a nitrous kit with a mechanical fuel pump. IMO if you are gonna spray a motor you are beyond the stock fuel systems capability. Now can they work ....I suppose and there are very knowledgable guys using them but I would not and I don't reccomend you do either. You can run electric fuel pump for the motor and the kit but it needs to be at least a 140-160gph HQ pump something like the Mallory Comp 140 or Edelbrock 160 or BG 400. I prefer to run 2 regulators. One bypass regualtor for the pump and carb and then I tap into the supply line before the bypass regulator and that goes to a dead head style regulator for the kit. Fuel pressure and nitrous pressure gauges are a must and the best way is so they are visible to you while driving so you can keep an eye on them.

I ran it. I like it. It's a great lower cost option. To a point. only the initial cost is "cheaper". A better porting job lets say is $1000 more than what you have to spend, but the NOS kit is $400. So which to buy? The Heads give you power every time, all the time. The NOS will when under boost. But, the boost is used up fast. In one summer of one bottle a week, I'll spend (well, did spend. It's more $$ now) that $1000 on chemical alone. So at teh end of one summer, I've spent $1400 and still got no juice left. Saying "it sucks because I broke once" is a very limited veiw...lol. my rules: Never buy a used kit unless you know the seller real well. Never buy anything older than 2 years. Never run lean...ever. The biggest issue with solenoids sticking is not solenoids, but debris in the system getting stuck in them. I've also seen 100hp kits blow an engien becuase nobody flushed the debris from the fuel hose, and the holes in the bar got plugged. That makes a fire alright..lol.

I've made hundreds of nitrous passes, I'm fully aware of what it takes to spray 300 horse on 300 cubes so far. :D

I never assumed anything on my previous posts, I said to make sure your fuel was okay, and then timing is next.

QH, I wasn't ragging on you. I was just posting to anyone thinking about nitrous. To make sure the fuel system is up to par, not just assume that it is.

is it safe to run a good mechanical pump with a 100shot or 125shot and hyper pistons?

This is a case of: it depends. I don't know about Hyper pistons, I have never run them. Years ago, on my first nitrous experiance, I put a 125 HP plate on a 74 Dart 318. Totally stock except for a LD4b Manifold and a Holley 4bbl from a 440 engine. Installed a Carter high volumm (What they called a NASCAR pump). This was my wifes street car and sometime drag car. In 4 years never had a problem. The car/engine had over 100,000 miles on it when installed, over 130,000, when I removed the nitrous and gave the car to my neice. Do a fuel flow test to verify the fuel system is up to snuff.
PS: car ran high 13's with a 2.93 pegleg. stock exhaust manifolds and open pipes.

I've ran up to 200 horse on Hyperutectic pistons no worries. I wouldn't go farther, some guys say 250 is the ceiling. The reason they say that is that the hyperutectic piston is more brittle, so when they detonate, they break. It's all in the tune, detonation is bad.

i jsut want to run max 150 shot but most likely 100shot and only at the track so i wont spend that much... and getting a holley blue pump is fine with me... i just dont know how to hook it up so i guess what i will do is get my motor done run my best have piston ring gap set to nitrous spec and then when i run my best time all motor. go nitrous for a lil more umph

Hi guys i just found this...Would a 100shot max be fine with a mechaincal pump and hypers? If i have the correct ring gap I just want all the help I can get you know? or if i can go turbo and run low boost with 10.5 compression or 10 would be even better

Hey guys, A family friend mentioned to me today that he has a complete nitrous setup that he would hold for me if i wanted it. How bad is it to run nitrous? I have a built 360 around 400 hp. How much hp would i gain from it.??? This idea would be for further down the road but i dont want to pass up on a sweet deal. It would never see use on the street only at the track.

7DUSTER3
my advice is to read everything you can get your grubby little mits on, this means everything-books, manuals, articles and what ever you can find on your computer by doing a seach. this way you can make an informed dicision. you will also find everything about pumping, wiring and all the safety parts you'll want to consider.

go for it! just do it right. and y does every thing around here turn into a internet fight?

because everyone loves conflict and is a hard headed old man haha.

but I agree with moparkid340, I say just go for it and don't cut any corners.

ARTHUR: Old woman!
DENNIS: Man!
ARTHUR: Old Man, sorry. What knight live in that castle over there?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you `Man'.
DENNIS: Well, you could say `Dennis'.
ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called `Dennis.'
DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?

-
Back