Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Grant rings in California.

Materials And Coatings

View attachment 1715779152Grant uses the latest materials and coatings available to keep pace with the growing trends in engine technology. We offer a variety of materials and coatings for piston rings ranging in diameter from 40mm to 340mm, in a wide variety of profiles and joint types.

We also offer different versions of piston rings sets to give you a choice of performance and price level. Whatever Grant ring set you choose, you can be assured that quality is built in.

The Ideal Ring Set For The Job
  • High-Strength Ductile Iron Material For Extended Life
  • Steel Material For Maximum Durability Under Extreme Load Conditions
  • Phosphate Coated (Plain) Gray Cast Iron Rings For Economy Re-Ring Jobs.
  • Chrome Coated Rings For Maximum Resistance To Wear And Scuffing
  • Plasma-Moly Coated Rings For Improved Lubrication And Seating

Plain Cast Iron Piston Ring Sets:
View attachment 1715779153These ring sets contain compression rings which are manufactured to precision specifications from high grade grey iron castings The top compression rings are black phosphate coated and normally beveled on the inside top, which gives a torsional twist characteristic or relieved on the lower ridge for oil scraping characteristics. The second compression ring is normally a scraper ring commonly used in the second groove. Oil rings are generally 3-piece circumferential style, which provide quick seating, positive oil control and long life.

Plain ring sets are identified with no prefix or a “P” prefix, example: 2271.020 or P2271.020

Chrome Cast Iron Piston Ring Sets:
View attachment 1715779154These ring sets have a top compression ring that is chrome plated for resistance to wear and scuffing. High strength iron is used where applicable. Intermediate rings are of Torsional twist design. Oil rings are of either circumferential design or Grant’s patented channel oil ring, both of which provide quick seating, positive oil control and long life.

Chrome ring sets are identified with a “C” prefix, example: C2271.020

Chrome Steel Piston Ring Sets:
View attachment 1715779155These ring sets have a top compression ring that is chrome plated and lapped for resistance to wear and scuffing, and faster seating. Steel material is used for high strength and excellent fatigue resistance. Intermediate rings are of Torsional twist design. Oil rings are of either circumferential design or Grant’s patented channel oil ring, both of which provide quick seating, positive oil control and long life.

Chrome ring sets are identified with an “S” prefix, example: S2271.020

Moly Piston Ring Sets:
View attachment 1715779156These ring sets have a top compression ring which contains a section of 100% pure molybdenum with a melting point of 4730° Fahrenheit (2610° C). This high melting point reduces scuffing; scoring and heat transfer from the piston to the cylinder block. Molybdenum increases lubrication, improves compression and adds longer life as well as working with today’s shorter skirted pistons. The oil ring included with these sets is a three-piece circumferential design, which allows uniform unit wall pressure and efficient oil control.

Moly ring sets are identified with an “M” prefix, example: M2271.020

Nono of that changes what I posted. As the ring gets thinner it’s harder to keep the moly in the ring. It falls out. Rattle it a bit and it falls out. The correct way to keep oil on the cylinder wall is with the bore finish. Like I said, if your machine shop isn’t using a profilometer on the bores they have no idea what the actual finish is. As a side note, the moly filled ring was originally developed to use in dealerships and shops replacing a defective plain cast iron ring. You could install a moly ring and not hone the cylinder and it would seat, and carry enough oil in the moly to make it seal. Back when the cool guys were using cork bond finishes a moly ring was mandatory because there wasn’t enough RvK to retain the oil. Today, the oil is retained in the bores by proper bore finish and geometry. Thin rings and a proper understanding of bore finish has made the moly ring obsolete, regardless of what Grant or anyone else says. Like a belch from a bad onion the moly ring will hang around because too many refuse to move to new, better technology. I’d say the 1/16-1/16-3/16 ring pack is also obsolete but it’s still hanging around. And the even more archaic 5/64 ring packs that KB won’t update are hanging around too. It’s sad that people refuse to understand how much power it takes to run those big, heavy obsolete ring packages, and how much ring seal they give up using them.

Alright, I'm taking this to task.
  • Tell a 19 yr old he has to save to 10k to play in our hobby and you'll find him doing something else. I would have not been able to play for YEARS if I had to wait for a "certain amount". But I started playing at 14 when I bought my first '72 Duster. I would have told YOU the same thing then as I'll tell you now.... Go Fly a Kite. :D
  • Fluff my EGO... LOL. Eat glass, pffft ! Do you know my name?? How many here on FABO KNOW my name and where I live ???? Yeah, it's what I thought, pretty much NONE! And it's all about me...... except nobody knows me. Hard to pat a back if you don't know where the back is or who the back belongs to........ :rolleyes:
  • REAL WORLD??? I think I live on the same Earth as you. I think I can drive on the SAME roads as you. My most expensive motor I put together right now in all my classics is a 1450 dollar motor. Guess what? All run GRRRREEEAT !!!!
  • Now, you can take your High Fly'n Ego and all your BIG dollar builds and stroke your ego with them.... they are nothing to me.

Wow, I guess I hit your nerve. I can be as big an *** as you, but I won’t.

You see, to win your point you pulled a 10k number right out of your hat. We are talking about maybe, maybe 1500 bucks more to start with a 340. Thats 125 bucks a month for a year. It’s called delayed gratification. So you lose, again because your stupid hypothetical is just that, stupid. And when you lose the point, you make up another silly rule like 10k. So you know where the glass is. You don’t know my name either, so I have no idea if you’re a big YouTube star and I don’t care. I don’t live in your fantasy world of the 3k rebuild. It’s silly and it only fits your argument so you feel like the big man here. So you can take your dumb budget cheap stuff and stroke your ego and play the god here. It’s just mentally gymnastics to make you look the hero. Play on McDuff. It’s just plain silly.

Wow, I guess I hit your nerve. I can be as big an *** as you, but I won’t.

You see, to win your point you pulled a 10k number right out of your hat. We are talking about maybe, maybe 1500 bucks more to start with a 340. Thats 125 bucks a month for a year. It’s called delayed gratification. So you lose, again because your stupid hypothetical is just that, stupid. And when you lose the point, you make up another silly rule like 10k. So you know where the glass is. You don’t know my name either, so I have no idea if you’re a big YouTube star and I don’t care. I don’t live in your fantasy world of the 3k rebuild. It’s silly and it only fits your argument so you feel like the big man here. So you can take your dumb budget cheap stuff and stroke your ego and play the god here. It’s just mentally gymnastics to make you look the hero. Play on McDuff. It’s just plain silly.
Your in my fantasy world... I'm the OP of this thread.... My made up story and you can't stay out of it. My flute, my tune, you follow :)

Your in my fantasy world... I'm the OP of this thread.... My made up story and you can't stay out of it. My flute, my tune, you follow :)

It’s an open forum. I can call you on your delusion. If you don’t like it, you can use the ignore button. You would be one of the last on this forum I would follow. Your not the gift to the SBM. Just an Internet hero posing silly crap for post count.

It’s an open forum. I can call you on your delusion. If you don’t like it, you can use the ignore button.
I have no problem with this thread... obviously, I created it. You have a problem with it and how it's written, yet you can't stay away :) Now, follow the piper, I'm this way :D

It’s an open forum. I can call you on your delusion. If you don’t like it, you can use the ignore button. You would be one of the last on this forum I would follow. Your not the gift to the SBM. Just an Internet hero posing silly crap for post count.
i9mazx93YFVCyYJGsDgG5LRBQL6.jpg

:lol:

nope,..you re read it,..2 different cars 2 different engines! oh and bit my big ol butt!

Post 889 big butt. You claim a 318 will go 4.04 and have ring seal? Is that what you want me to believe because I don’t trust any 318 at 4 inches unless it’s 100% sonic tested by someone that knows how to use one. At 4.04 the rings would seal about as well as a worn out, high mile used up engine. Really silly how much butthurt the poor people get when they get called out on their fantasy world.

Nope still here, watching the uncle Tony of FABO scab stuff together and fantasize about junk being gold.
You do know... every day, every hour, and every second of your life that goes by you do not get back. So be careful how you spend them. As a caring person, I advise you don't hang out in threads that you don't like or give you ulcers. All because I care... and life's to short.

You do know... every day, every hour, and every second of your life that goes by you do not get back. So be careful how you spend them. As a caring person, I advise you don't hang out in threads that you don't like or give you ulcers. All because I care... and life's to short.

I appreciate your phony concern. It’s as worthless as your silly threads. Just to be clear, in your world you can build a 318 that will run circles around a 340 for 3k, and for the 340 to be equal to it you need to spend 10k. That’s what you changed the thread up to be. I say I’d rather save my money and spend 1k for a 340 block (there was one on here for sale a week or two ago for probably 500 bucks if you wanted it and it was standard bore too) but by god no one can save up and extra 1000.00 dollars because they are all dirt poor, untrained in money management and budgeting so they can’t save up some money to upgrade to the 340. That is your world. Block are out there. You have to look. Oh wait, that must cost money too. I suggest you spend your time working out of your fantasy world. There is only one Uncle Tony and we don’t even need him. You being you is just redundant.

Post 889 big butt. You claim a 318 will go 4.04 and have ring seal? Is that what you want me to believe because I don’t trust any 318 at 4 inches unless it’s 100% sonic tested by someone that knows how to use one. At 4.04 the rings would seal about as well as a worn out, high mile used up engine. Really silly how much butthurt the poor people get when they get called out on their fantasy world.
do some research,..lots of folks have done it,..coarse it needs sonic checking first!!! just cause you ant done it or dont like it dont make it not true!!! but we all already know itll just piss you off for somebody to go 4.040 and not spend that 340 money!!

I appreciate your phony concern. It’s as worthless as your silly threads. Just to be clear, in your world you can build a 318 that will run circles around a 340 for 3k, and for the 340 to be equal to it you need to spend 10k. That’s what you changed the thread up to be. I say I’d rather save my money and spend 1k for a 340 block (there was one on here for sale a week or two ago for probably 500 bucks if you wanted it and it was standard bore too) but by god no one can save up and extra 1000.00 dollars because they are all dirt poor, untrained in money management and budgeting so they can’t save up some money to upgrade to the 340. That is your world. Block are out there. You have to look. Oh wait, that must cost money too. I suggest you spend your time working out of your fantasy world. There is only one Uncle Tony and we don’t even need him. You being you is just redundant.
  • My concern if genuine. I do care that people are happy. Honestly, I wouldn't spend 5 seconds in a thread I didn't like.
  • Why are you attacking Uncle Tony ? He say or do something to you in this thread? Does he know you exist?? Get rid of your hate, life is very short. Bitterness just destroys the one that harbors it.

do some research,..lots of folks have done it,..coarse it needs sonic checking first!!! just cause you ant done it or dont like it dont make it not true!!! but we all already know itll just piss you off for somebody to go 4.040 and not spend that 340 money!!

Not at all. I don’t care if a 318 can go 4.040 but I’d love to see the sonic test. If ring seal doesn’t matter then that’s probably ok. What makes you think I’m pissed off? Calling out jokers like you and 318WR should be more commonplace. Do what you want, just don’t tell me how good or cool it is and then set up some stupid rules to make the OP sound like a genius when in reality he is just playing for an audience. It’s sad really.

• My concern if genuine. I do care that people are happy. Honestly, I wouldn't spend 5 seconds in a thread I didn't like.
  • Why are you attacking Uncle Tony ? He say or do something to you in this thread? Does he know you exist?? Get rid of your hate, life is very short.

Oh yes, I hate UT. That’s the fallback when you have nothing. He is a hack. How is that hate? The guy has an audience that apparently you crave. No hate here, just reality. Your concern means nothing to me. Just calling out someone who sets up a thread with silly nonsense money rules so he can look like he’s a smart guy. Don’t be a hack. Like I said, UT has that covered. And play that hate card somewhere else. It’s a classic cop out.

Oh yes, I hate UT. That’s the fallback when you have nothing. He is a hack. How is that hate? The guy has an audience that apparently you crave. No hate here, just reality. Your concern means nothing to me. Just calling out someone who sets up a thread with silly nonsense money rules so he can look like he’s a smart guy. Don’t be a hack. Like I said, UT has that covered. And play that hate card somewhere else. It’s a classic cop out.
If the thread is so silly, why are you here ??? LOL... and again, what did UT do to you??? Let me guess, you can't stay out of his channel either. Every video, you are watching and disgruntled. I sure hope you find happiness in your own life.
And the most sincere "best of wishes" I can give you.... Find Happiness !!!!

Now, I lead by example, I chose not to spend another 3 seconds on another of your posts. So, I'll click the ignore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back