Today's WTF were they thinking??????

-
Hate it if you want, I think it looks at least as good as an actual Superbird.

I'm with the author of the article, the nose looks pretty good. Probably better than the original nose IMHO. The wing is overkill, but it was overkill on the Superbirds too unless you're actually planning to go 200mph on a banked oval.

I'm sure the resale wasn't improved, but who cares? Definitely not the worst thing I've seen done to a Firebird.

I happen to think Superbirds are ugly as ****, so there ya go..............

A lot of people do. And did back then too, which is one of the reasons they're so rare now. Definitely not my favorite Mopar. But if someone wanted to give me one I wouldn't say no :D

I agree they look like crap... They were a morfitdite.. and the nose cones never fit right not to mention the headlamp doors never worked or fit right...How many garage doors that weren't adjusted right got destroyed by the wings...Bill:wack:

I've had 3 trans am's over the years and they are good drivers .

I would have no problem driving or owning it if the price was right

Remember the purpose of the Original Daytona Charger and Super Birds.

The ONLY reason the street versions were built was to make the NASCAR versions, legal. At the time, NASCAR only allowed production models to race.

For a car to be legal it had to be "In production". Hence, the MoPar winged street cars were built.
It was never meant to be a fashion statement as so many people (even MoPar people) today believe it was. It was merely to make the race car versions NASCAR legal. It worked, and it was a very successful NASCAR campaign for MoPar. So successful, in fact that the Chevy and Ford teams pitched a *****.

Now, Back to the topic. The Trans AM in the OP isn't my cup of tea, but, I do appreciate the workmanship that went into building it, and the finished product is actually better the the factory original MoPars. I especially like that all the body seems are filled. The black paint is also a testament to the quality of the workmanship of the body work.

Nice job.

Frankie's right, the only thing I'll add to his Nascar statement to the Daytona AND Superbird was Nascar made a legal number of 500 MUST be sold to get the car "legal" contender for Nascar racing.....

Mopar took a hit on it tho, even tho it worked to get those cars on the tracks, as only 503 of the Daytona were sold and I think not many more Superbirds were sold as well..I can't remember BUT they met the quota to make a sale of 500 cars of EACH model to legalize them in Nascar racing....

Chevy and Ford threw a ***** fit over it as they were winning 1-2-3-4-5 for about a year an a half if I remember correctly on what I've read on them! Mopar Drivers 1 to 5, EVERY race!

Nascar made a legal number of 500 MUST be sold to get the car "legal" contender for Nascar racing....

Right on the Daytona, but Nascar changed the rule to 2000 cars after the Daytona, to discourage race only cars being made.

As for the firechicken, I think the nose and wing are a vast improvement, but those dumb fender vents gotta go.

Looks like some pretty cool custom work
was done to that T/A.
I'd do some wicked donuts in it right off the top
so it would take your mind off it being ugly.

I like it.
I've seen WAYYYYY worse.
The car actually looks proportionate.

I happen to think Superbirds are ugly as ****, so there ya go..............

U think they are ugly, but they are so COOL!! I think u would change you mind if u got to drive one and or drive with one on the roads! Seeing one behind u cruising is the coolest look with the nose and wing high above the roof line! Really no different than driving a RR except for being VERY careful with the extra nose length that u CAN'T see when driving!
I really like them and it's a great feeling driving one! I've driven my friends White 440-4, bench 4spd many times. He also has a Lime Light green, 440-6, bench 4spd that was driven when I first met him thru friends. The green one hasn't been driven in a long time. This guy bought them when they were cheap!!!

-
Back