Too much positive camber after torsion bar adjustment.

-
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for a little help here (again). So on my 1973 swinger with a 318 the car just sits up so high. It has the stock 14" wheels 195 tires. Anyways, I loosened the torsion bar bolt to get the front end to come down a little, because there is so much space in the wheel well. After doing so my tires now have noticeable positive camber. I thought the eccentrics only convert negative camber positively to get to 0 degrees, or whatever your preferred camber is. How do I adjust the positive camber issue without tightening up the torsion bar? Or am I misunderstanding how these eccentrics work? Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

The first step to adjusting any alignment issue is to set the front ride height using the method descried in the Factory Service Manual. This method eliminates variations caused by tire size, by measuring two points on the suspension and calculating the difference. After that it is a recursive process, where you adjust camber and caster, then recheck the ride height.

But your situation surprises me — normally, when you lower the height using the torsion bar adjustment, you increase the negative camber. When you raise the car, you get more positive camber.

Ride height, caster/ camber, and toe last, and very very last is walk the tie rod sleeves one way' t other to get the wheel centered. Drive test, and recheck everything.

The first step to adjusting any alignment issue is to set the front ride height using the method descried in the Factory Service Manual. This method eliminates variations caused by tire size, by measuring two points on the suspension and calculating the difference. After that it is a recursive process, where you adjust camber and caster, then recheck the ride height.

But your situation surprises me — normally, when you lower the height using the torsion bar adjustment, you increase the negative camber. When you raise the car, you get more positive camber.

Exactly. That is what I expected to happen. Once I loosened the torsion bar bolts 2 full turns each I noticed the tires started gaining positive camber. And because of that, I am now stumped lol.

Ride height, caster/ camber, and toe last, and very very last is walk the tie rod sleeves one way' t other to get the wheel centered. Drive test, and recheck everything.

I know the order, which is why I was adjusting ride height first. But I gained positive camber upon LOWERING the front, and that makes no sense to me. The cam eccentrics give you positive camber to make up for negative camber, if the tires already have a positive camber and the cam is sitting flat I cannot adjust the positive camber out, unless I am mistaken?

Post a photo of how low your front end is. Side view of front tire showing wheel well

So the top of the tires are pointed out away from the engine? Usually when you lower one of these, the camber goes negative.

Post a photo of how low your front end is. Side view of front tire showing wheel well

I will have to do that when I get back to the car, with a magnetic base level on the roof of the car it sits perfectly level after I backed out the torsion bars. There is still a lot of wheel well space. The tires are super small so that explains some of it, but not all.

I have 205 70 14 this is where my front tire sits (67 Dart)

20180320_103207.jpg

-
Back