tool box/chest

-
You won't get flamed from me. I've looked at the boxes in the local HF in Macon and they look pretty good for the prices. I may end up with one myself.

If you treat them nicely, they seem to be a great box. The one in the picture above was $329 on sale with coupon.... i kinda got it as a gift, but I'll damn sure buy another one. I already filled up everything i have!

I've had three kobalt boxes for 15 years and they have been great

If you treat them nicely, they seem to be a great box. The one in the picture above was $329 on sale with coupon.... i kinda got it as a gift, but I'll damn sure buy another one. I already filled up everything i have!

They are nicer than people give them credit for. Those that talk trash about them probably have never looked at one.

I've used craigslist for used toolboxes with great success....Found this one several years ago that was only used as a display in a restaurant :)

Attachments

• ToolBox John Force 003.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 227
I've got one Craftsman bottom and two of their top boxes. One top and the bottom I brought new in the mid 60's. The other top is the same age or older. It belonged to a guy I worked for. I got it after he passed away. I used mine for about 10 years every day at work. The other one was at his gas station. Every few years I clean lube all the parts that slide. NEVER have any trouble with them. The older Craftsman stuff just keeps going and going!!
Mike

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I bought a box from Harbor Fake tools (price was too low to mention). It has been a good box for about 5 years now. I load the drawers pretty heavy and it seems to do just fine. I don't used it commercially, just for my hobby stuff. I'd recommend it. Here's a pic next to my 20 year old Craftsman (horrible drawer slides, light stuff only)..

Actually, they aren't bad.. Obviously prefer better brands,used or new.. If it's a hobby, you budget yourself...

I've used craigslist for used toolboxes with great success....Found this one several years ago that was only used as a display in a restaurant :)

This..,+ ( garage/estate sales, always seen junk,at local swap meets..)

Sweet.

I've got a white John Force MAC Economizer. Can't remember when I bought it... has to be well over 20 years ago. I'm still remembered as the guy who worked in a body shop with a white tool box.

My big Remline box is up on the upper level. Since my main work bay is on the lower level, I use this small roll around under the lift with my most used tools kept in it. I also have a very old Craftsman box my Wife (girlfriend at the time) gave me for Christmas 38 years ago.

Attachments

• WIN_20150304_150929.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 186
  • WIN_20150225_172720.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 180
Harbor freight US general with snapon decals. I built the snap-on wall cabinets out of wood and painted them with red rustolium.

The reason I did the Snap-on decals was to raise labor rates. It aways seemed that if you had a snap-on box you were a more valuable employee and got the higher paying flat rate jobs. Yeah the shop foreman gets a kickback to promote the snap-on tool man. I know first hand I was the foreman. LOL

Everything in the garage is red with snap-on decals. Snap-on or not it gets the treatment.

Attachments

• New pics 099.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 197
  • camera 1 059.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 221
  • New pics 130.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 191
The older Craftsman stuff just keeps going and going!!
Mike

Yep, I've got 2 other craftsmans boxes i just inherited from my deceased grandfather, full of craftsman tools. He got them when he started working for Cummins....in the 60s. Theres probably 800-900 lbs of tools in those drawers. and they open and close fine. Mine, sliders pop out, the metal sides have pulled in and I maybe have 150-200 lbs of tools in mine.

As far as their tools, their quality has sucked in the last 5 years or so, the stuff I bought in the late 90s, and the older stuff I've been buying from auctions, works great, the stuff I got last year from my wife as an xmas present, well I've had to exchange all 4 rachetes after they broke with light use, I've cracked several sockets and completely snapped one of their screw drivers just turning a screw trying to hang a shelf. I will no longer buy any "New" Craftsman stuff.

The 56" and 72" HF roll cabs are a good deal particularly for the money. They compare favorably with the Heritage line Snap On boxes and a fair bit better than any of the Blue Point boxes. The drawer ratings on the 56" are accurate, it will hold that much (3 x 220 lbs the rest 150 lbs). They could use a hutch and overhead cabs and it would be pretty much like the tool truck sets.

The 44" that's usually under $400 or so isn't bad. It doesn't have the drawer loading the other two do and the casters aren't as stout but for most home shops it's a good deal.

-
Back