What Roll Away Tool Cabinet do you have?

-
I've got the HF 44" bottom plus a Craftsman bottom/middle topped with an old Proto road box. I also have a HF tool cart. I found that I really never moved the cart to the job so I rearranged my tools and need to rearrange them again, but probably not until the new garage is built. I've also got a 12' by 32" deep workbench that may go one of my sons sooner than later as it really is just a place to stuff things that should be organized or tossed. It's basically a family heirloom as my grandfather had it until I was 13. Then my dad had it until the late 1990s. It came out of a Dow chemical plant and was built in the 1930s...

I've got the HF 44" bottom plus a Craftsman bottom/middle topped with an old Proto road box. I also have a HF tool cart. I found that I really never moved the cart to the job so I rearranged my tools and need to rearrange them again, but probably not until the new garage is built. I've also got a 12' by 32" deep workbench that may go one of my sons sooner than later as it really is just a place to stuff things that should be organized or tossed. It's basically a family heirloom as my grandfather had it until I was 13. Then my dad had it until the late 1990s. It came out of a Dow chemical plant and was built in the 1930s...
Cant wait to see pics of that Jim. I have a badass bench converted from a highschool trophy case.

I was disappointed with the quality of the Craftsman boxes 30 years ago when I bought my first top box tool chest. Ended up with a True Value Hardware Master Mechanic top box. Definately was made of heavier gauge steel. Turns out it was made by Homak, the same company that makes gun safes. Friction slides have held up well. I think I've read that the friction slides may be better if your in a dusty environment. Got the bottom box a few years later. These days, I'd definitely consider the Harbor Freight boxes.

Mine are both Craftsman. The red one I've had forever, like 30 years or more. It's a friction slide and has held up very well. Fast forward a bunch, I retire and decide to treat myself to a bigger box since my red box is stuffed to overflowing. I get the black one for a killer deal and start moving tools over. Then something funny happens. The red box is barely half empty and the black box is full. Huh? How'd that happen? So I kept them both. The black one has roller slides and soft close drawers, I'm very happy with it.

DSCN0945.JPG

DSCN0944.JPG

bc3c33_13bec5b56430430092776a1a26816db2~mv2.webp

:rolleyes: Well it rolls around and it has tools hanging on it :lol:
Craftsman here. I have one unknown roll around that was handed down from my great grand father's back yard blacksmith shop. No idea when it was built. Very stout it is, blacksmith shop stout.

Well, mine is a bit different than the usual. 32” wide Sun Equipment base that I got from @halifaxhops with a couple of 26” wide Craftsman (Dodge) boxes on top with a 1/4” thick rubber pad on the top of the Sun box under the top boxes. Total height with the lid on top closed is 64”.

7DD9405C-6CD1-40AD-84A1-B89827AAFF68.jpeg

Here is the Sun base open...

E370E0D3-6AC1-44FF-B192-475FE9D715E6.jpeg

My main boxes are ones I bought in 1967 and 1968.

My top box is a 28" MBC (which made all the MAC boxes). The bottom is a MAC brand. 53 years old and still in good shape.

I also have accumulated a few extra boxes that I use for specific tools. I have two Craftsman bottoms... one is stocked with my engine assembly and measuring tools. The other houses my pullers, taps/dies and other HD tools. I have another ancient no name top that keeps my drills organized.

I also have a dirty crusty top box that I want to refinish for use at the race track.

Back in the late 90s I had a plum crazy mopar (snap on ) box, full as I was a tech for BBC dodge in Burien WA. I did get fired though. Seems 2 dui's in a month is unacceptable.
I went to work for a guy who was a serious head case, he killed himself....nearly killed me a couple day before. Anyways he owed mac & snap on alot of money so they seized his tools along with mine...which were paid for.

UPDATE on the toolbox selection.
I was going to buy the Extreme Tool box but when looking at the height dimensions and being a vertically challenged Italian decided against it. I chose the GatorBuilt 72"X 25" 16 drawer with the stainless top. I bought it from Strictlytoolboxes.com. I will say that Strictly has their stuff together and they were great to do business with. I received the box today and here is a pic. I will update once all the tools are moved in but by first impressions, I am VERY happy with the purchase.

toolbox.jpg

-
Back