Tools for Valve Spring Replacement Needed

-

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Im going to replace my existing camshaft in my 340, and I cant recall the name of that tool that you use to place air pressure into the cylinder to hold up the valve while changing the springs and seals while heads are on engiine, and where to get it? Also need suggestions on best degreeing kits for 340 with heads on engine. Thanks Eric

I bought the Summit brand cam degree kit several yrs. ago. Just looked and they have it and a nearly identical kit made by Trick Flow for $5 cheaper. Here's the link

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-90000/overview/

The only one thing that isn't the easiest to do with the heads on is getting the magnetic base dial indicator situated good and straight to read off the lifter but it's real important because if it isn't reading straight on you can get a false reading.

Another approach is to look around for a "deal" on a compression tester, which you ought'a have, anyway, or a leak down tester, which you can make.

If you get "the right" type of compression tester, it will have a quick coupler same as air hoses use, known as Industrial Interchange. Some of these gauges use oddball connectors

All you need to do is take a tire tool and yank the tire valve out of the cylinder end of the hose, and use that for your air fitting.

I made one from an old spark plug, a piece of tubing, and a Nitto air line fitting.
Make sure the piston is down a bit, and tap the side of the Valve Spring Retainer, to help crack it when applying the valve spring compressor tool.
I put oil in the s/plug hole first, then hook up and air hose, and the piston finds it's spot.

-
Back