Torque Converter Dyno ?

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
this is the info:

1) a fellow racer basically gave me a new torque converter

2) Midwest Converter, S/N 92100

3) The converter looks brand new, but the PO says he knows nothing about it

4) I called Midwest, they say they do not have records that go back that far,, from the S/N Midwest thinks the converter was manufactured around 2005, but they have no record on what the converter was manufactured to.

5) the converter seems to be a 10 inch diameter,( smaller diameter than a factory 904) has what seems to be a new ( Midwest ?) cap plug over the input shaft. Converter is very clean, it contained some tranny fluid, ran the fluid out on a clean towel,, bright red, appeared clean.

Question,,
does any one know of a source for a 'Torque Converter Dyno" to find out what this TQ was built to? This may be a great deal, but I hate to put an unknown TQ in a car, just to find out it is set up for something completely different from what I need.If it does not work for me at all, then its just another tranny pull,,,.
Or if it does work,, great, but that would be just blind luck.

info on a Torque converter dyno or general thoughts appreciated..

thanks

I'm not aware of any that are not part of a convertor company. You might give one of the custom convertor companies a call to see if they can test yours for a fee.

Toss it in, see what's up. Part of the hobby is doing things several times until you get it right.

it costs so little to open up a converter and check it out. Ask Midwest what they charge to inspect it.

'Part of the hobby is doing things several times until you get it right.'

I like that,, in working with these Mopar A bodies,, I have a mind set that says,,
nothing is really done, until it has been done twice,,,

'what they charge to inspect it.'

I'll dig into that

thanks to all for the ideas.

Even at my diminished physical self, I'd throw it in there and see how it runs.

this is the info:

1) a fellow racer basically gave me a new torque converter

2) Midwest Converter, S/N 92100

3) The converter looks brand new, but the PO says he knows nothing about it

4) I called Midwest, they say they do not have records that go back that far,, from the S/N Midwest thinks the converter was manufactured around 2005, but they have no record on what the converter was manufactured to.

5) the converter seems to be a 10 inch diameter,( smaller diameter than a factory 904) has what seems to be a new ( Midwest ?) cap plug over the input shaft. Converter is very clean, it contained some tranny fluid, ran the fluid out on a clean towel,, bright red, appeared clean.

Question,,
does any one know of a source for a 'Torque Converter Dyno" to find out what this TQ was built to? This may be a great deal, but I hate to put an unknown TQ in a car, just to find out it is set up for something completely different from what I need.If it does not work for me at all, then its just another tranny pull,,,.
Or if it does work,, great, but that would be just blind luck.

info on a Torque converter dyno or general thoughts appreciated..

thanks

This is exactly why you DON'T BUY A USED HIGH STALL.. A 10" converter can be made in a variety of stalls. Diameter isn't the only gauge as to what it will stall at. Factors beside diameter include, vane angle on both the primary (hub side) and the turbine, type of stator inside, and how much the stator has been modified. None of these modifications are known until the converter is cut open. Depending on the application, a 10" converter can stall anywhere between 2800-3500+ rpm. I don't know what the rates are in your area, but the company I previously worked for charged 1.5 hours to cut open a converter, inspect it, weld it back together, balance and paint it. Parts and labor to repair it, if needed, were extra.
I can't say that I ever saw any thing on a converter dyno from any of the converter builders we sold parts to, and we sold to a lot of them.
A shiny paint job and a nice cap for the hub do not necessarily make a new/rebuilt converter. I've seen many a rattle can rebuilt high stall.

"DON'T BUY A USED HIGH STALL.'

I would not argue with that that,,

.... I have 0 dollars in this converter,, and it is from a guy that I know and have worked part swaps with many a time,, the deal is,, try it, if it works, pay what you think its worth,

I called Midwest, they quoted 175.00 to open the converter, inspect it and determine what it was built to..

what I have decided to do is, put it in and run it,, see what it does in my car,

[ame]https://youtu.be/nk6YqloTNWw?t=14[/ame]

many can rebuild your convertor to about anything you want, they could probably tell you what you got too. Check out the runout prior to opening!

I got 3 used converters running in the 10s.....

make that 4....

All 3 are Turbo Action with model and serial numbers on.....and one A-1,,,steak sauce...

-
Back