Torque converter question

-

belmateo

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Barracuda with the 225 Slant Six that is being replaced with a 1972 Slant Six. My question is what year torque converter can I use?
Are all 904 converters the same (V8 or 6)
Any help would be appreciated.

is the hub size the same between those two years? also i believe the spline count on the older trans is different then the 72.

Check the snout on the converters,engine crank side. 1965 will be smaller and will fit the 72 engine crank by using a adapter ring.The 72 converter takes the larger input shaft than the 65 so it won't work with the 65 trans.Someone help me as I can't remember the tranny parts suppliers name that sells the adapter either here or Moparts.

Yes, you are right about the spline count, my problem is the crankshaft centering ring is larger in diameter.....

My friend found the answer here, thanks guys
oldwirebender

oldwirebender's Flag is: United States

Contact Pat Blais at 206-365-1966 or [email protected] and he'll sell you a spacer ring to match the early torque converter to a 68 or later crank.

Mopar changed a lot of things from early to 1970. 70 up, a lot won't fit.

Tell us what parts you are replacing SPECIFICALLY, please.

The hole in the back of the 1972 crank is bigger, so if you're replacing just the engine ONLY, then the only thing you'd need to change is to get a spacer ring for the back of the crank so it will fit the early transmission.

The "old" converter you've been using would continue to fit the transmission input shaft, if you continue to use the "old" tranny. BUT, if you change to a 1972 transmission, you'll have to get a late model (1972-up) toqrue converter, in which case, you will no longer need the spacer ring for the crank-to-converter snout. The '72-up tranny has a bigger input shaft with more splines to match the splines in the late converter.

Clear as mud???? sorry...

The hole in the back of the 1972 crank is bigger, so if you're replacing just the engine ONLY, then the only thing you'd need to change is to get a spacer ring for the back of the crank so it will fit the early transmission.

The "old" converter you've been using would continue to fit the transmission input shaft, if you continue to use the "old" tranny. BUT, if you change to a 1972 transmission, you'll have to get a late model (1972-up) toqrue converter, in which case, you will no longer need the spacer ring for the crank-to-converter snout. The '72-up tranny has a bigger input shaft with more splines to match the splines in the late converter.

Good points.
I am using the 1965 transmission with a 1972 engine, I need the spacer ring adapter whatchamcallitthingy. Pat Blais contact info is crap. Anybody know where I can get this or do I have to ask my machinist friend to make one for me without knowing the specs.

hey bill as far as i know the only split for the small/large TQ issues was in 1967...

1967 and earlier stuff wont work with anything 68 and newer (without conversion pieces)

hey bill as far as i know the only split for the small/large TQ issues was in 1967...

1967 and earlier stuff wont work with anything 68 and newer (without conversion pieces)

I am sure you're correct; I was confused on the years (as usual.)

Thanks for the correction!:toothy8:

Check the snout on the converters,engine crank side. 1965 will be smaller and will fit the 72 engine crank by using a adapter ring.The 72 converter takes the larger input shaft than the 65 so it won't work with the 65 trans.Someone help me as I can't remember the tranny parts suppliers name that sells the adapter either here or Moparts.
I believe it was Bob Mazolini Racing that had those bushings in stock.....maybe it was Mancini.....I forget......

-
Back