Torque converter question

-

QWKSLVR

Reaction score
Hi I currently have a 318 and 904 in my 1969 Barracuda. I recently bought a 1973 340 and the guy I got it from says that I will either have to change the converter or add weights to mine, the reason being the 318 has a steel crank while the 340 has a cast crank. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thanks Bobby

I thought it was only the 360 that required the extra weights on the convertor (or the appropriate B&M flex plate used with a zero balance convertor)

...Free bump though for a more decisive answer!

Hi I currently have a 318 and 904 in my 1969 Barracuda. I recently bought a 1973 340 and the guy I got it from says that I will either have to change the converter or add weights to mine, the reason being the 318 has a steel crank while the 340 has a cast crank. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thanks Bobby

a 73 340 is externally balanced...you will need a 730 340 balancer/damper...

and you will need either a b&m flexplate for 73 340/904 combo....or stock flexplate with weights added to the converter...

Dont think b&m offers a 73 340 to 904 flexplate....they do for the 727

Would,nt the B&M 360/904 flexplate be the same for 340/904?

73 340 and the 71-92 360 are both externally balanced...but the 73 340 carries more weight on the converter and balancer due to the heavier pistons...

so they are not interchangeable...

in fact the 73 340 balancer/damper will say on it...for 340 Cast Crank Only...

Doesn't Direct Connection still sell the weld on weight kit?

DC? You've been around as long as me! :) The last time I checked, Mopar Performance had that weight kit but I would check to be sure it includes a template for your application. The 340's never came with a 904 so there is no factory off the shelf converter made for it. There may be a tranny builder that knows how to do the conversion but I don't know anyone personally. To answer the question, it has to do with internal or external balance, not what the cranks is made of. 318's came with cast and forged cranks but were both internally balanced. On the 340, all the forged ones were internal and the casts were all external but a cast crank engine can be converted to an internal balance. It takes some serious internal modifications though. In this case, I would try to find a 904 converter with the correct weights for a cast crank 340 or get a 727 and use a factory converter or the B&M flex plate with a zero balance converter.

Hi. I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I do have the correct balancer for this engine and the guy also gave me weight/template kit at the same time. I will look into the availability of a converter with weights for this combination. I'll also do some research to see if the template will work on the 904 converter. Again thanks for all the help. Bobby

Rebuild the engine, get lighter-higher compression pistons and change the crank to forged and internally balance it.

Make it a "real" 340 and you need not to worry about converter weights

-
Back