torsion bar adjustment

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
There may not be right answer for this but roughly if turning the adjuster bolt one full turn how much will the car raise? Just dropped my RB in and cant even get the floor jack under the K frame. Wanna raise it up a bit.

I'd go more, like halfway between where the screws are now and full in. Make sure you lube the threads well.

What bars are you running?

Those threads weren't designed to lift the car. To just reach under there and turn them with a wrench can strip the threads. I would use a bumper jack or something to get the weight off them first.

Josh after you adjust,its always good to write down how many turns/per side.You,ll also have to roll the car back and forth,also bounce the suspension up/down for the car to settle after adjusting.Good luck.

I'm sure it depends on the bar size, age, wear, but 5 full turns on my 318 Scamp raised the car about 1/2". I know what you mean about no go jack!

The correct answer as to how much one turn will lift the car depends on too many things. Bar diameter, how weakened they've become over time, day it was made, color of car etc...

wow quick replies... Good tip about getting the weight off the wheels i might just have done that that without thinking. They are 340 bars .870. I dont believe its down on the bump stops. Im not ready to set right height just yet but wanted to be able to get my floor jack under. Maybe ill start with that 5 turns per side and see where i end up.

I'd start with adjusters bolts about halfway in with those bars and then go from there.
Drive it up onto some 2x10s or very trusty ramps to set the ride height. Use the factory specs and measurement methods. Barracuda is 1.5" IIRC.

Good advice on taking the weight off. It will make it easier and why take a chance. For adjust down, not so much an issue. So go higher and lower it down when you make your final settings

.870's are going to be real soft with a big block in there. you may want bigger bars if you are going to do a lot of street driving.

The Mopar Chassis Manual is something that nobody should ever be caught without.

Where might one find these factory specs and measurements?
Factory Service Manual or a Chiltons if you must. The '70 Chiltons I have is actually pretty good. Once you see a Chrysler, dodge or Plymouth service book from that era, You'll probably want one. Occasionally a local library will have them - the automotive collection at the Philadelphia library is amazing (assuming they didn't get rid of it to save money..)

1968 Plymouth
Height, Valiant 2.125" Barracuda 1.375" plus minus .125
Camber, most negative recommended, 1/4* left, zero right (This was for high crowned roads that were the norm, if your roads are flairly flat, then both sides can be the same. As tyres developed they tend to prefer more negative camber. You may find a '72 service book shows more negative. I don't have anything that new. If you want to spec 1/4* negative, see how that works out. I tend to run at least 1/4* negative camber.
Caster: power steering 1.125* positve.
Toe In: 3/32" - 5/32" (on a stock dia. tire) go for the 3/32" or equiv in degrees.

You can download the 72 factory shop manual right here. AbodyJoe hosted it

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

-
Back