Torsion Bar Install?

-

DIYORPAY

Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
I am trying to install my torsion bars and am wondering (car is up on jack stands with suspension hanging) if when i put the bars in if i have to have it hanging or compressed? Can it be one flat off so you cant get enough adjustment? This is all new to me.(probably a stupid question) :dontknow: ????

You need to install them with the suspension hangin so as you bring the car down, the suspension system will "load" on the way down. If you don't do that the car will saggy sag big time.

-Alex

Ok but it seams that even when the car comes down i wont have enough adjustment to lift it back up. right now(suspension hanging) there is about 1 1/2 inch between the adj. bolt and where it hits the control arm key. Maybe i have other problems?

Sorry I should have mentioned that you have to back off the adjustmanet screw all the way. At least, that's what I had to do on my Demon. Back it out all the way with the suspension hanging and tighten it back up with the new arms, then lower the car down.

Others should have more info if needed. Hope this helps.

-Alex

Once you back off the bolt all the way, then reinstall the torsion bars, re twist in the adjustment bolts back to the measured spec from the top of the bolt head to the level part of the A-arm or what ever you took the measurement from.

Drop the car and adjust from there. Bounce on the car a few times and measure.

If you got the bars back in without the front socket twisting you should be fine.

Another quick question...................With the suspension hanging,and torsion bars removed, if i loosen the adjusting bolt should the lower control arm and adjusting blade(key) follow the bolt down till the bolt comes out?(At Full extension) Because when i put one(torsion bar) in and let the car down the adjusting bolt, which is already half way screwed in, barely touched the key. Its hard to explain but maybe someone can understand what i am trying to say. Is there another thread on this maybe with some pics???

If you did not loosen the big nut on the pivot, the arm the bolt contacts will not move.

Thats whats wrong. (I never made the connection) Jim Lusk , Your a life saver .
Thanks, I am sure i can make it work now.

-
Back