toshiba c855d laptop help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
ok guys I have a c855d laptop was working just fine yesterday and last night I go to pick it up and at the same time I sneeze (got the flu) and drop my computer on the floor....now when I turn it on it says need to reboot ..took it to the office depot and they say the hard drive is gone looking at bout 200 to fix it.....I paid 600 for this thing 2 years ago and its hard to believe its 200 to fix.. as there any thing I can try or does this even sound right drop it and the hard drive is gone...it makes a clicking sound when it comes on for a few sec then its gone..theres no cash for a new computer right now so I need a fix for this thing...thanks

probably the shock of the fall killed the hard drive...clicking sound are the heads on the hard drive....

you can buy a hard drive from Newegg.com for your laptop and replace it yourself....but you need a copy of the operating system ...windows 7 to get it running again..

or install Linux Mint 17 Mate for free...works for me.

window 8 I think I have the disk I downloaded when I got it and saved them..

Get a new drive SATA 2.5" Gb(same) fleabay $45, reinstall windows. Or take it to a mom N Pop computer repair

The clicking could be the hard drive or the DVD drive. Obviously it was not clicking previously.
Can you access the BIOS setup? Read what is says when you first start it.

Is it out of warranty?

You gotta' know someone local that works on computers that can take a look at it.

Have you tried Toshiba Support?
http://forums.toshiba.com/

yeah out of warranty.....when it starts up it has no bootable device please restart on the screen...

It sounds like a hard drive clicking. I installed a Sata in mine and reinstalled Windows with my boot disc like 69FBCUDA suggested. If you're not comfortable doing it take it to a computer repair place and have it done. I have 3 of those Toshiba's and like them very well. tmm

Not seeing the hard drive.
As it starts, does it tell you what key to press to get to the setup screen?

Get a new drive SATA 2.5" Gb(same) fleabay $45, reinstall windows. Or take it to a mom N Pop computer repair

This is about it right here in a nutshell.

The clinking is the drive seeking but not finding. (bad drive)
But yea, everything sounds kosher, and about right on prices.

Forget regular hard drives. If you need to replace, go with the SSD kind. Solid State Drive, NO MOVING PARTS!

Nah, 250 GB from NewEgg for just under $110. They've come down in price.

can 1 of you guys post a link to the 1 I need .. hate to get the wrong 1 lol..I have the disk from my computer that I made when I got the computer how can I make sure that it has everything I need on them ..I think it 3 or 4 total...I saw some on ebay for 7 8 dollars but I think I have what I need just trying to make sure before I waste money and don't have everything I need to fix it..

restore discs would be 3 or 4 dvds, 8 or more cds. SATA hard drives for laptops are universal in install/fitment. The difference in price is in storage space. So a 500gb drive will cost more than a 200gb drive.
As for removing the original and installing the new, its pretty straight forward but to watch one or more of the many videos on Youtube about servicing laptops will help.
Your Toshiba model number is very likely on Youtube.

Make sure you get a SATA 2.5 inch which is smaller than a desktop 3.5 inch. Taks pictures as you take it apart. A lot of small phillips screws and you might have to pop the keyboard out with a flat blade. PICTURES during disassemble will help at reassembly. Buy one that still has the MFG warranty, they do come defective on ocassion.

The more Gigabyte(GB) the more money, try and stay close to what you have unless it's way to small. To big a drive can kill you disk read time.

here's a good example of what you need, you can proly find cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HITACHI-500...main_0&hash=item3381f27859hash=item23495f697a

If you are close to the Burlington area I have a guy that fixes all of mine. Does a great job. I can give you his number if you would like.

Hard drive replacement video found on Youtube:

[ame]http://youtu.be/eGcfWgMp3Cc[/ame]

I own this exact laptop, and it really is this easy! A magnetic-tip screwdriver is really helpful, also, cause those screws are tiny!

Ok, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! I will not tell you which one to buy, I don't know what you use your laptop for. If you store a lot of pictures and programs on it then you will need a bigger storage hard drive. SSD or regular. Regular will be cheaper, but will break if you drop it, as you found out. SSD is more expensive, but SHOULD NOT break with a moderate drop like the one that broke the hard drive you have now.
The two kinds are mixed, regular with SSD's. LOOK CLOSELY at them. Measure the height of the one you currently have!!!! There is a difference. If you have paperwork for your lap top, read it to see what the dimensions of your hard drive is. It is important!
The speed, how quick/fast at finding things you have saved, of the hard drive depends on two things for sure, RPM, and cache. Those two have a lot to do with the 'search' speed, or how 'fast' it takes to find something and bring it up. Again!!!!! RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. It is always a GREAT thing to learn new stuff, it's what keeps us young!
http://www.frys.com/search?cat=-69564&pType=pDisplay&fq=100413 2.5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007605 600003490
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tail;17_791_47515_47515,Detail;18_160_877_877
I have bought stuff from all three, and I will buy from them again. That has been my experience with them, but I researched the daylights out of whatever I bought. It can be very frustrating, or very rewarding to do this, but knowledge is the key to happiness. Sorry, I know I'm probably going overboard on the research thing, but I don't want you to be unhappy with doing this. That's why I want you to possess the knowledge, it empowers us!. Ok, good luck!

thanks guys sorry I haven't been on much got the flu... and have to use my son computer ..but thanks for all your help..i will be calling and getting a harddrive

-
Back