Total Brake Job on '70 Dart

-

69dartwant

Reaction score
Am seeking suggestions on real good quality brake components.
I have an all original '70 Dart with a 225 engine, and I want to find out where can I buy quality {not Chinese } brake parts, all components to redo the system. Pads, wheel cylinders, drums, hoses, the whole shebang. Thanks in advance, Mike

Rotors and drums can be resurfaced. Select "Best Quality" at your local auto store.

NOS and NORS parts on Ebay. Get a parts manual from my Mopar.com and get the factory part numbers and do a search. Also just Google the part numbers, and they may show up on someone's website of parts for sale.

Here on FABO is @mobileparts who sells NOS brake parts, and would be a good first stop.

Try a wanted to buy ad here on FABO.

Other NOS sellers you can find by googling these names. I've used all of them. They have search functions on their websites.
AMS Obsolete in Georgia
Central Jersey Motor Parts - Jack Koziol
Brad's NOS Parts
Len Dawson's Deception Pass Parts
Arizona Parts - Martin Kolner

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need nos Mopar. In that eBay suggestion look for old stock from what I call the "big 3" in brake parts/ those being bendix (who was the oe supplier back then) Wagner and raybestos.
Even back then they had "good " (cheap grade) "better" and *best".
Other companies that are gone now like EIS (who supplied car quest for years, then raybestos took over right up until Advance bought them out) had a good product as well. Any of them made wheel cylinders, hardware etc. Also there's Carlson who did hardware and wheel cylinders, caliper rebuild kits, etc but not pads/shoes.
I am always scouting eBay for parts like these that fit my junk, and "stock up" when I find a deal.

You're right though today's stock is questionable at best/on parts that should never be in question.
I hate buying house brands of brake and suspension parts, the 2 most important systems on a car. With house brands, you have no idea what you're getting.
I always try to get name brand whenever possible unleash I'm in some kind of a bind and have to have something "now" and even then I'm keeping it in the back of my mind that these parts may not last all that long. I mean, ask the counter help "who made these"
Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows there is no "duralast" or "brake best" factory.

Check out Rockauto. Whether you buy from them or not they have brand name parts available and their website is easy to navigate and look parts up on. I use them for my parts catalog quite often. Raybestos, Wagner, and Dorman are good brands for shoes and hardware.

Even among old school brands I don't know if current stock is what they used to be, either.
Just yesterday I had to do a brake job on the side for a buddy, and I told him that I would try and get something name brand for his truck. I succeeded, I went to Federated and got the parts there.
I got their SST line, which I thought was all raybestos.
I was 1/2 right. The fronts were but the backs said "Bendix". With a sticker on the box end that gave the "raybestos" PN. The counterman said that they were in the process of "changing over".
All the print on the boxes was identical, except for the brand between them, which used to be just fine when they were who they used to be. With all the conglomeration and buyouts these days, who really knows? Both the "raybestos" fronts and "Bendix" rears, were "made in India"
Something I've been seeing more and more often lately. To which I have to ask.... Is it supposed to say "made in Indiana" and somehow the printing press messed up and somehow left off the last 2 letters?

No fan of current day dorman parts here. Mostly Chinese. They never used to have pads and shoes in their line, another company who ain't what they used to be. Their "old stock" hardware from the days when most parts stores' counter was one big dorman cabinet was great though.

PS: can a mod move this thread? Brakes has no bearing on what engine is in the OPs Dart, we do have a category for brake issues.

No fan of current day dorman parts here. Mostly Chinese. They never used to have pads and shoes in their line, another company who ain't what they used to be. Their "old stock" hardware from the days when most parts stores' counter was one big dorman cabinet was great though.
I agree. Things have changed. Sometimes Dorman is all you can get new. Especially the goofy little small parts.

I would be careful on Raybestos. I bought some Raybestos parts for a customer, and payed the premium price. Items turned out to be exactly the same as the parts house brand for less then half the price. I called Raybestos to complain, and ask why I should pay more for the same item. I was told "we have nothing to do with those parts, we just licensed the name".

I recently did a brake job on a friends Impala. We spent a whole morning looking for American made components. Went to all of the parts houses in town and looked at the rotors made by Raybestos,Wagner, Bendix & even Delco. We found that they were all made in China or Taiwan.

Is there a place that I could look up who really makes what parts for a given brand?
That's one thing I miss about the "old" car quest is that somewhere on the box in small print anything that I bought there had listed "made for Car quest by........" It made me feel better about buying their parts.
Charlie/ that's good info on raybestos, I wonder how much more of that BS is happening.
Sounds like false advertising to me.

I recently did a brake job on a friends Impala. We spent a whole morning looking for American made components. Went to all of the parts houses in town and looked at the rotors made by Raybestos,Wagner, Bendix & even Delco. We found that they were all made in China or Taiwan.
Yup I've been down that road and is why I buy as much as I do, on eBay.

Charlie/ that's good info on raybestos, I wonder how much more of that BS is happening.
Sounds like false advertising to me.
That goes on a lot more then you would imagine. I just bought a Black and Decker toaster. What a piece of junk. The old Blacke and Decker company would not sell such a piece of garbage. How about those ads on TV for Bell+Howell products? The old Bell and Howell company went defunct years ago.

"Bell and Howell LLC is a U.S.-based services organization and former manufacturer of cameras, lenses, and motion picture machinery, founded in 1907 by two projectionists, and originally headquartered in Wheeling, Illinois. The company is now headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, and currently sells production mail equipment, buy-online-pickup-in-store smart locker and kiosk solutions, and provides maintenance services for automated, industrial equipment in enterprise-level companies. Since 2010, the Bell + Howell brand name has been extensively licensed for a diverse range of consumer electronics products"
The last sentence tells the story.

Black and Decker went to 'ell a LONG time ago. In the 70's they sold cheap junk through K mart and such. It was absolute junk

So far as Bell and Howell, the brand no longer exists. It is just a pirate use of the old name.

-
Back