towing with dolly ...

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
Towing an automatic car about 30 miles - do we have to disconnect the driveshaft ?

You really should. And don't forget a spare yoke or plug for the transmission output so you won't leave a trail of fluid.

Since the tow truck drivers around here pick up RWD A/T cars wo/removing them, I would think that it is ok for short hauls and moderate speeds (in neutral of course). I, myself, would remove it though.

An alternative is to have the car running in neutral for the tow, or, back the car onto the dolly. You would have to tie off the steering wheel to keep the front wheels straight...
For 30 miles I would probably let it idle for the trip.
C

after '70 just take the key out of the ignition and your front tires are locked. tow with rear wheels up and you should be good to go

after '70 just take the key out of the ignition and your front tires are locked. tow with rear wheels up and you should be good to go

Around here that's a big big no no. Lots of guys that I used to work with can attest to that. Big ticket, and or big insurance problem. If the wheel get's out of whack from hitting a small crater and jumps then relocks turned the car is and will swing out to the side and hit things. And most likely it would swing out to the side where cars are parked just because.

Yes You Must Disconnect It.what Happens Is Your Drive Shaft Still Turns In Neutral This Turns The Gears In Your Transmission But Since The Engine Is Not Running The Transmiision Pump Is Not Working So Your Trans Will Burn Up.i Wondered Myself If You Really Had To Do This.i Read Your Same Question In Mopar Collectors A While Back.and This Is The Answer They Gave
Jim

What if u just unbolt the drive shaft from the rear end and strap it up under the car? Then nothing will spin inside the trans and u wont have the trans fluid leaking out of the tailshaft housing.

On early A-Bodies with trundle front u-joints, just removing the rear and tying up the driveshaft is the fast trick. Always works.

Definitely disconnect the driveshaft.

Only other thought for yourself would be;
*do i want to disconnect the driveshaft?
*do i want to possibly have to rebuild the transmission?

Around here that's a big big no no. Lots of guys that I used to work with can attest to that. Big ticket, and or big insurance problem. If the wheel get's out of whack from hitting a small crater and jumps then relocks turned the car is and will swing out to the side and hit things. And most likely it would swing out to the side where cars are parked just because.

Interesting, I have seen tow trucks do this, but I wonder if it is illegal up here and they could have been pulled over for it. You make a good point.

Yes, remove the drive shaft. Whatever you do, don't try to back up with a car on the dolly, it's not like a trailer.

But this is the least safe way to tow. The geometry is crazy when you go around turns. The car pulls VERY HARD on the straps on the front tires as the car try’s to rotate. This is not like a bumper hitch ball. It would be like hooking two bumper hitch balls one on each side and you get the idea about the forces working against you. I've towed with one and I won't do it again. Not to mention backing up with that system is a nightmare. I'd spend a little more and have a rollback do it. If you still want to try it, pull the drive shaft and plug the rear of the trans.

Just for info,
towing a four-speed in neutral is a no-no as well. I found out the hard way. Do you how expensive an A-body output shaft is? They are not cheap and are hard to find used.
Rod

Idling the car in nuetral for the 30 miles will do the trick, the pump is active and circulating fluid and you have airflow to cool the radiator.
Works with manual trannies, too.

Tow dollies are like anything else, if you use them enough, make a few minor mistakes, you learn the inns and outs.
After some time, some people can use them as if it's 2nd nature.

I look at it this way, th U.S. D.O.T. hasn't illegalized them, yet, so they must be alright in COMPETENT hands.

I wouldn't sell mine unless it was the very LAST way to eat. Have had it for 15 years, backed up with it, towed backwards (NOT recommended!) with it, even towed 1-ton duallies with it. It's been a very reliable and simple TOOL.

It also falls, according to Federal D.O.T. Mandates, in a "No Brakes Required" category, since it technically is rated under 3500 pounds.
It would be better with brakes, though. :)

One thing to do is have as much weight ON the dolly as possible.
With mine, if the towed vehicle has no engine, the towed vehicle will sometimes want to "whip" and dance around, pendulating, if you will.
Creepy feeling, especially with a 1/2 ton and nothing for weight in the bed.

Mark.

-
Back