Toyota Motor in a top fuel?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Antron Brown runs a Toyota motor in his top Fuel dragster? Jeez, where have I been....Toyota in TF, what has the world come to?

Toyota Decals on a Hemi..........
OK, Ill sleep better tonight.

antron-brown-nhra-4-wide-nationals-850x560.jpg

I could have sworn I saw the Toyota sticker on the valve cover of the Phoenix race just on TV. I was pointing out the valve covers to my son and saw it...maybe I was mistaking.

No, you did see toyota stickers on the valve covers but Brittney Forces car had Chevrolet stickers on the valve covers.Just advertising.

According to the NHRA rule book only one engine is legal for top fuel and funny car...the specs for the engine are based on the hemi.....put any decal on it you want....chevy..ford toyota....kia... it is still a hemi..

Well, the wife drive's a all aluminum powered Kia SUV? Maybe with a little Nitro in the mix, who knows.....lol. Oop's it might have too many cams? Boy are they (TF/FC) lucky. :D

Seriously, there's a reason why the Hemi dominates the fuel classes. Some will remember the old school fuelers with a BBC, Pont, Olds, Ford, etc. While they were there 50/60 years back, only the Chrysler based engine has survived. They were cool in their day, but I have no problem with the current 8/10 thousand horsepower engines :D. And the "decals" ain't foolin' no one :).

According to the NHRA rule book only one engine is legal for top fuel and funny car...the specs for the engine are based on the hemi.....put any decal on it you want....chevy..ford toyota....kia... it is still a hemi..

i have not been paying attention. when did this happen? i had to go look it up. you are correct

cool, and you can get that "one engine" from 3 block makers..and I can proudly say now 'Yoda aint one of 'em. Out!

Yes, the basic architecture of the engine is somewhat based on a 426 Hemi. Now 500 c.i. I think it is possible that Toyota, Chevy, Ford, even Dodge (?) has helped develop some trick parts for these totally aftermarket engines. I'm sure NHRA doesn't tell the teams where the parts have to come from. As long as the engine meets "specs" that's all that matters (hopefully). You've got companies like BME making pistons, rods, and superchargers. Donovan Engineering, Dart, TFX, Brad Anderson Eng., Alan Johnson, and more make blocks. Sid Waterman fuel systems. Heads, valves, cranks, cams, other stuff... who knows? I'll bet those car makers with their huge engineering resources are helping to design some stuff these days.

Any NHRA-accepted, reciprocating, 90-degree V-8, single-
camshaft, automotive-type engine permitted. Multi-valve and/or
overhead-cam engines prohibited. Maximum 500 cid, minimum 490
cid; maximum bore center spacing 4.800 inches; maximum camTop Fuel Dragster
Section 18, page 3
centerline 5.400 inches, maximum two valves per cylinder. Only one
cylinder-head design is acceptable:
Intake valve angle of 35 degrees, + or - 1 degree
Intake valve size maximum: 2.470 inches
Exhaust valve angle of 21 degrees, + or - 1 degree
Exhaust valve size maximum: 2.000 inches
Engine block must be forged aluminium and NHRA-accepted

Plans for proposed changes to vehicle design or vehicle
components and, if practicable, prototypes, must be submitted to
the NHRA Technical Department as part of the review process.
Fees and costs, if any, incurred by NHRA in determining whether to
approve or disapprove the proposed changes to vehicle design or
vehicle components shall be borne by the party submitting the
items for review. Approval, if granted, is valid only if such approval is
granted in writing, signed by the Vice President, Technical
Operations. No proposed changes to vehicle design or vehicle
components can be used in competition unless such written
approval has first been granted.
Proposed changes to vehicle design or vehicle components
includes, but is not limited to, engine blocks, cylinder heads, intake
manifolds, fuel pumps, superchargers, body components, wing
components and electronics, and includes any redesign,
reconfiguration, and/or modifications to existing components. It is
the participant’s responsibility to refer any development, redesign,
reconfiguration, and/or modification questions with respect to Top
Fuel components to the NHRA Technical Department to determine
whether permitted or prohibited before using in competition, and
disqualification or other penalties determined in NHRA’s discretion
may result if this procedure is not followed.

Basically any and all items on the car must be approved by nhra .....

Basically any and all items on the car must be approved by nhra .....

Of course. But that doesn't mean that some Toyota/Chevy/*** designed parts are not being approved and used. NASCAR has the same sort of rules and allows GM/Ford/Toyota to design their own engines as long as whatever they come up with is approved by NASCAR.

Of course. But that doesn't mean that some Toyota/Chevy/*** designed parts are not being approved and used. NASCAR has the same sort of rules and allows GM/Ford/Toyota to design their own engines as long as whatever they come up with is approved by NASCAR.

true the fuelers all have american chysler designed hemis in them, that have been highly refined. but toyota did make a v-8 hemi. was at a speed shop in tulsa-once upon a time, a guy came in and wanted to show the owner (old friends I guess) the hot rod he`d been working on for " don`t know how long". any way it was a hemi , but not like I`d ever seen,and after having two of them, I know a hemi when I see one. I`m standing there trying to figure out what it was, wasn` t an old hemi, much smaller. the guy had us all stumped, even the speedshop owner,and he has had numerous fuel cars. he started it and it was the smoothest running hemi I`d ever seen, like a sewing machine . the owner said there were only 2 of them in the united states,and toyota wasn`t making them anymore, was an experiment w/ them. who knows??

I had a '71 Toyota Corolla with a 1.6L I-4 Hemi. Looked like a 392valve cover, but only one (LOL). Thing ran really good too.
Not mine, but this is what it looked like:
1971_Toyota_Corolla_Deluxe_Wagon_For_Sale_Engine_resize.jpg

Innovation in top fuel and funny cars has been dead for years....Cost control is now the key word....

Ford had changed the block to accept Ford OEM main bearings when they were sponsoring Force.

-
Back