Toyota Troubles!

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Well It Looks Like The Car Company That Could Do No Wrong Has. So Much For Quaility! They Have Stopped Production On 8 Models, Including The Camery. The Reason Was, Unattended Acceleration. I Knew When I Heard The 911 Call From The California Family That Crashed & Were All Killed During The Call, That This Was Going To Be Hard To Cover Up.

I love Toyotas and their world wide quality is second to none…… But none of that matters if the cars accelerate out of control and kill people.

They really need to get a handle on this. Stopping production is a good move but what about the cars that are out there on the road everyday now?

What I don't understand is how (like in that 911 call) they could not just turn the ignition off or toss the car in neutral and use the brakes.

My guess is the brakes got cooked trying to stop the car with the engine running wide open.

Note…. Im not saying it was the drivers fault at all. This is clearly a Toyota issue.

Did you see the other crash where the car went through a fence and landed upside down in water…. All were killed and the floor mats were in the trunk.

Got to say i love it, deserves em right they have been JUNK for years,People are brainwashed on the name i wish they'd go under.Look how long it took for this to happen they didn't care who got hurt or killed trying to blame it on floormats,COVERUP They get freeland here to build there plants then they don't have to pay taxes for 5 years, Did you know that when 9/11 happen that gm dodge an ford gave billions for recovery toyota gave 0000 nothing.I cuss everybody that drives one Fix this country create jobs open factorys cut off forengn trade for 5 years, And remeber they don't allow sales of usa cars in japan

This actually happened to me once and in my case it was the floormat that caused it, I put it in neutral which nearly blew my motor up. I ended up putting my foot under the pedal and yanking up, it's quite terrifying so thinking clearly isn't as easy as you might think. It wasn't a Toyota, it was a Chev but it had nothing to do with the make anyway, just had the floormat in the wrong position.

Have to feel really bad for those that lost their lives because of this, if they put it in neutral or turned the car off they would most likely still be here.

First off I would like to say that Toyota is cutting production immediately so that they can fix customer cars first if you go to a dealership they will not even sell an effected car they have been told no cars are to be sold until the issue has been resolved. I work where they build the corrolla and matrix and about 15 minutes from where they build the rav 4 and all of them have even stopped being shipped until the repair is completed. As much as anyone wants to bash an automaker for a bad product you have to remember that the automakers don't even build half of the parts that go on the car but just for the most part assemble it. Are they still accountable? Yes but so is the supplier that build the part. These things happen when I worked for GM we had a lower control arm come loose because of bad welds and dropped an elderly couple on the road thankfully nobody was hurt. As far as saying buy big three and support our economy this is a very uniformed decision. It is no longer a matter of buying a North American car but what percentage of the car is North American. When I built the Chevrolet Equinox and Torrent and Even the XL7 all of them except the sport version of the Equinox had Japanes transmissions and all but the sport and XL7 had chinese engine whereas they had japanese and I personally watched thousands of those being shipped out for bad flywheel balancing and no compression. Very few parts to the car are actually built in North America. So when you talk about people being blind about Toyota quality I Think the majority of people are blind about where their car is actually built way too many "out of a job yet keep buying foreign" on Dodge trucks that are all built in Mexico last I looked take not I build Toyota's but am not a spokesperson for anyone by anymeans.

Toyota has put a stop on this until they get it corrected..But, they have not found the problem...I am a Manager of a Toyota store..The case of the 911 call, the gentleman was a police officer and this was caused by a after market rubber floor mat that was on top of the factory floor mats..This was the only case so far.. I think by putting a stop on sales-production until they look into this is a great move by Toyota and shows they care about saftey and not profit like other auto makers..All vehicles have recalls...

Never owned a toyota, but worked on plenty of them. Almighty Honda and Toyota make mistakes too. What I look at, no matter where it's built, is: How is parts availability and price, and how straightforward are repairs since I will be the guy fixing my cars.

I look at it this way. When was the last time you saw a mid '90s Honda or Toyota. They are throw away cars and trucks. All companies have recalls but for Rusty frames? Run your spare tire in the bed for safety? Give me a break. Jmho

Meh, with the millions of vehicles they make (#1 seller in the US), something was bound to happen. My family owns a 2005 Tundra and a 2007 Carolla (I even won one of my championships with the 5-Speed Carolla), and we love 'em. We put on 20,000 miles/year with no problems whatsoever.

Toyota has put a stop on this until they get it corrected..But, they have not found the problem...I am a Manager of a Toyota store..The case of the 911 call, the gentleman was a police officer and this was caused by a after market rubber floor mat that was on top of the factory floor mats..This was the only case so far.. I think by putting a stop on sales-production until they look into this is a great move by Toyota and shows they care about saftey and not profit like other auto makers..All vehicles have recalls...

from what i understand is, this is not a voluntary stop in production. it is the fed law to halt production if the repair is not at hand. so please don't think toyota has your safty as priorty #1. believe me, they are just as greedy as any manufacture. its money out of their pockets.
after my wife & daughter heard the 911 call, they asked me what to do if it happen to them (they both drive chry. products). i breifed them on what action to take. unless there are further details not being shared from the 911 call, it would seem that the 911 operator would need some further education. the point is, toyota has always been on this pedastal. they have covered up several problems in the past ie oil sludged engines & floor mats. i also worked for toyota at one time. every certified used toyo got a new oil filler cap & engine flush. no matter how you cut it, they are going to have a big time image problem now.

Having never driven one of these cars, is it not possible to turn the ignition off?

Maybe I can get my neighbor to run his toyota trash can into my Infiniti so we can both get rid of them and blame it on the throttle... hmmmmm....

Where is that ambulance chaser phone number from the TV?

I look at it this way. When was the last time you saw a mid '90s Honda or Toyota. They are throw away cars and trucks. All companies have recalls but for Rusty frames? Run your spare tire in the bed for safety? Give me a break. Jmho

Strange…. Almost all the mid 90s or older cars I see are Toyotas or Hondas……. You do know the frame rust issue was not across the entire product line right?

Remember when the paint fell off just about all the cars from the big 3? Kind of the same thing.

There is only 1 car that the engine can overpower the brakes and that is a top-fuel car. If you don't believe me, try it on your car.
The company that I work for hauls the Lexus and Toyota products and it came as a surprise to us.

YA!!! I love it and I don't care if they never fall apart, why are so many people so blindly dedicated to foriegn cars. My newer american cars have and are going over 300,000 miles without troubles so why by a foriegn car? I know a few are assembled here but where does the lion share of the money go. We are really good at supporting everybody elses economy. it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they went bankrupt, I have never owned one nore will I ever. American cars are good enough for me, you can call me anything you want but one thing I am is an American.

Love seeing this..i would/will never own a foreign automakers trash:thumbdow::thumbdow:

YA!!! I love it and I don't care if they never fall apart, why are so many people so blindly dedicated to foriegn cars. My newer american cars have and are going over 300,000 miles without troubles so why by a foriegn car? I know a few are assembled here but where does the lion share of the money go. We are really good at supporting everybody elses economy. it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they went bankrupt, I have never owned one nore will I ever. American cars are good enough for me, you can call me anything you want but one thing I am is an American.

Totally agree! Oh yea, it's funny I was right behing this Nissan today and the wonderful paint job on it was well, FALLING OFF! I heard here somewhere where the AMERICAN car's paint was bad.

Go check a Crown Vic or a Ram or a Magnum/Charger/300/Challenger and see where they are made.

Then check a Camry, Sienna, Corolla, Tacoma, Tundra, Matrix and see where they are made.

At least all of my cars (81 Malibu 9C1, 73 Dart and 75 Darts, 98 Dakota R/T and 04 Mustang GT) were all made in the USA.
If they were made somewhere else, I would not care because they are what I wanted.

That is why my 4 bikes are all made in Japan.

Then check a Camry, Sienna, Corolla, Tacoma, Tundra, Matrix and see where they are made

They maybe allowed to make them here but they are certainly NOT an american based company..

All 4 of my vehicles are made right here in the U.S.A. by American based companies..2 Buicks my duster and my Ford truck:thumbup::thumbup:..i'd walk before ever owning a foreign automakers product:thumbdow::thumbdow:

Four people were killed in one here a few months ago, they found the floor mats in the trunk where toyota said to put em, the investigation was ruled inconclusive as of today. I read yesterday that they now think its the gas pedal assembly being prematurley worn down causing a binding action. Toyota has halted sales of these models also.

So does this also include Lexus? Isn't that just a glorified Toyota? My mother-in-law has a new Lexus suv and they think it is the best thing on the road, is it now unsafe too? Not sure if I want my daughter riding in their vehicle till it is fixed.

yes its a sad story and i hope that they get things worked out..and not go under as some has stated (why) because i leave here in north carolina and my wife works for the (toya):clock:company that makes they verta and trans. yes thats right right here in the good old usa..so she needs a job..as far as problems go dodge has had there share of problems as well and so has the others..so just cause its not your brand or thing you want it to go away thats not right...then you got all these people dont buy from over seas by usa well how many have looked around your house and found everything made in the us...it may be that alot of stuff is made over there but not all...

Holy crap guys. I am a die hard mopar lover and also drive some foreign stuff..... but some of my mopar bretheren here are acting like our doo doo dont stink..... What ! I work for Dodge Dealer..... do you have any idea how many recalls there have been since I have been there in the last 8 years !!! I lost count....!!!! Let not forget the big brake issues afew years ago with Jeep, or how about the Dakota/Durango ball joint recall a few years back?? Do you not think people died because of these problems ??? YES ! they did... hence the RECALL ! I fully understand being American and wanting to buy only American stuff but lets not get carried away. Toyota has had some of the least amount of recalls out of any manufacturer. They obviously do something right. The point is.... all new cars are crap. There will be recalls. You all ought to see the amount of Rapid Responses on the newer vehicle that get repaired BEFORE you own them... its almost unbelieveable. Now to hang myself... I have had 2 '90's model toyota trucks....and both have seen the war. I lost one to a collision...... which it actually survived well.... and am still driving the other.... they are excellent vehicles..... now.... wheres my mopar I need a dose..... lol.....

-RPM

yes its a sad story and i hope that they get things worked out..and not go under as some has stated (why) because i leave here in north carolina and my wife works for the (toya):clock:company that makes they verta and trans. yes thats right right here in the good old usa..so she needs a job..as far as problems go dodge has had there share of problems as well and so has the others..so just cause its not your brand or thing you want it to go away thats not right...then you got all these people dont buy from over seas by usa well how many have looked around your house and found everything made in the us...it may be that alot of stuff is made over there but not all...
Good point.
I guess most of you don't like the '70 Swinger 340s. Most of them were made in Canada.

-
Back