Toyota Troubles!

-
These threads are always a pain in the *** for the Mods.... It ALWAYS becomes a pro-American, screw everyone else topic. Where do you guys buy your sneakers? Or electronics? Maybe you should stop buying food too because it may have been shipped on a Volvo truck?

Yeah, Toyota is in a bind. Remember when Ford had it's "issues" with it's trucks blowing tires? Outside supplier of tires, American vehicle blamed. How about those Vegas that were designed to compete with Foreign products? How many of THOSE are still on the road?

Chill out guys.... I'm not going to touch this thread from here on in, but really. Calm down.....
:angry7:

These threads are always a pain in the *** for the Mods.... It ALWAYS becomes a pro-American, screw everyone else topic. Where do you guys buy your sneakers? Or electronics? Maybe you should stop buying food too because it may have been shipped on a Volvo truck?

Yeah, Toyota is in a bind. Remember when Ford had it's "issues" with it's trucks blowing tires? Outside supplier of tires, American vehicle blamed. How about those Vegas that were designed to compete with Foreign products? How many of THOSE are still on the road?

Chill out guys.... I'm not going to touch this thread from here on in, but really. Calm down.....
:angry7:

you forgot the pinto/incinerator

FF

anyone who wants to know what kind of recalls are on their vehicles should check out the NHTSA site. Every person who has worked for a dealer will have done recalls. A few I personally performed that I can remember working for the Ford truck dealer where f250 and f350 fuel tanks breaking loose and hitting the cabs. this caused the tank to split open so we had to install new straps and put a plate in front of the tank. another was the 4.2 timing cover leak that even after repaired lead to the engines siezing. Certain f250 and f350's again where the beds would break off the truck in an accident so we had to place metal cables around the bed cross supports then bolt them to the frame. Expeditions had undercoating between the frame and the trailer hitch that had to be removed because over time the bolts would back out causing you to loose whatever you where towing. And these are just a few I can remember! also keep in mind I only worked on trucks! point being all manufactures have safety recalls its just a question of how many and how the company responds to fix the problem.

I just wish one of you guys would blame Obama for this so I can toss it where this thread belongs: In the Politics Section.

Are you suggesting this isn't Obama's fault? I thought everything that went wrong was? :munky2:

Hope this helps :-D

When I started this thread, it wasn't about where everthing is built. It was about a company, that Americans have been duped into believig how great they were. How they are the best car manufacture in the world. The truth is, they are no better or worse than the rest. They just have better PR! I didn't want to get in a pissing match. The only people to blame for toyota's problems, is toyota. In this down econmy, they have caused several Americans to become idle in there plants, not to mention the dealer end who can't sell their cars, & stopped production from their suppliers. They in short have become an truley American company.

Don't forget the 88 Super Duty Fords that had the Hyd. clutch..............

The area of the firewall where the clutch master cylinder mounted was not very strong and would flex everytime you pushed in the clutch. It would flex up to 3/8". Got really hard to push and eventually the firewall would crack.
I noticed mine real quick and the factory reps flew down to check both our our Super Dutys. The 'fix' that the fabricator at the Ford dealership was then used by Ford nationwide.

"Toyota moving forward"..just don't try to stop..cause' you won't:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Hey Mike, I read the entire thread and could not agree with you more. Its only natural with lots of room to vent the topic would go to 'us versus them'. If it was just everyone here I might say something on the order of staying on topic. HOWEVER, after what I heard on the radio today made me madder than a cat crapping tacks. It seems our overseas auto makers are putting their focus on the American made assemblies and made some comment about their assemblies being made correctly and the ones made here not. This is where it hits me. Just who is designing the parts and who is responsible for the proper quality control? If a part is not being made correct should there not be a master copy or design backup to reference?
When I think that they are shipping 3/4 assembled cars over here and having the cars completed here thus avoiding paying heavy import taxes essentially making them more money and then they start pointing fingers?
Its kind of like I always say, 'you poke a bear in the eye with a stick and you are going to regret it' kind of fits into this situation at least to me. No, I do not own a foreign car and do not plan on anytime soon and I have nothing against foreign cars either as some are made much better than what we offer here but having this happening just puts me farther from ever buying one. Its not about recalls as American cars are recalled all the time. GM is famous for 'silent recall' practices where things are corected when a car comes in for Warrantee work for just one example. To me its how these overseas auto makers are handling this situation that does not sit well with me.
Chas.

As of last night I have read where the problem with the gas pedals has spread to Ford and GM models using the same part made here in the USA and in Canada. There is no "one person" to blame here as Im sure these parts were built to specs and passed a lot of quality control stations so Im thinking metal fatigue is the culprit. I worked in an assembly plant for 33 years and know that there are a lot of people in the pipeline that can reject a certain part at anytime just because they dont like the way it looks, functions or smells and yes we rejected a lot of air conditioning ducts because of toxic odors.

Chazram,
Nobody ships 3/4 assembled cars here to be completed.

Years ago Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and a Isuzu brought in cab and chassis and had beds installed at the port to get around a 25% import tarriff that the BIG 3 had imposed on imported trucks because they "took away sales from the full-sized trucks".

Remember all the early thru late 70's baby pick-ups you saw running around with their 4 year old beds half rusted off???

Yep, the beds were made right here in the USA.

Actually I heard on the morning news that the part was failing because of condensation getting inside. We'll see how true that one is. And I heard that the problem has spread to Ford as well.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this yet.

Wylde1.

Now there shipping the replacement parts to their factories first instead of fixing the cars on the road. They are putting profits before human life.

Even the the head guy at toyota said that the quality has declined because of cost cutting measures.

Now there shipping the replacement parts to their factories first instead of fixing the cars on the road. They are putting profits before human life.

Even the the head guy at toyota said that the quality has declined because of cost cutting measures.

Just read a news release that said the problem was only in American assembled vehicles and Toyota didn't really see any need for urgency. After all, it's just a few more dead and maimed yanks. No problems in the land of the rising sun.
Get America back to work
Be a Patriot
Buy American

Just read a news release that said the problem was only in American assembled vehicles and Toyota didn't really see any need for urgency. After all, it's just a few more dead and maimed yanks. No problems in the land of the rising sun.
Get America back to work
Be a Patriot
Buy American

The Toyota folks may think that Americans are beneath them and are not capable of building good vehicles, but we sure can make big bombs, can't we?
Get America back to work
Be a Patriot
Buy American

I have removed my comment because I am the first one to jump on people who get political outside of the political forum so after some thought I realize that not being a politicaly one sided rant'er also includes me. With that said I appolijise for insulting anyone with what I said. I'm out

Excuse me if I missed this being said before. But when this whole thing started, and the problem was blamed on the floor mat holding the pedal down, there was also talk of the fly by wire system, or the computer, being part of the problem. Now all I hear about is that the problem is in the pedal assembly. So I have to wonder where does this problem really lie. If there really is a computer problem causing this, and the problem continues after the pedals are changed, I wonder how that will be explained. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pedal sticks in place wouldn't the engine just rev at that throttle setting, and not keep accelerating, which I beleive was the original problem?

Roadcuda, you hit a point of topic I was in today. I am not sure of I am stepping on myself on this one as the only thing I can compare is what is on my 2009 Freightliner. There is no gas pedal cable connected to the assembly. It is done by sensors and computer. If and I say IF any of these cars have the setup anything like this there wil surely be more involved. If the read is wrong on the position of the pedal the computer will adjust accordingly. Lets assume the pedal works the same and apply this to that accident in California. So perhaps the man driving the car is stuffing his right foot under the pedal trying to pull up on it to aid in slowing the car down. Since there is some sort of fault the car continues to not stay at the speed it was at but continue to accelerate. As I stated, the guy driving the car was a State Trooper. This guy must have been trained? For this car to continue to pick up speed something was wrong. Older car, broken return spring maybe. Newer car with a computer controlled accelerator. I would be looking at the computer and sensors. This car could have a cable driven pedal. Still, the computer has alot to do with it. The idle speed etc. is controlled by the computer. Again, I would be looking in this direction. I could pour a gallon of water on the pedal and cable in my Dakota and its not going to stick. Well maybe right now as its 10 degrees but you get my point. Moisture causing this?? I may be way off here but since its not happening to all the cars I dont think its got anything to do with the pedal itself. Only time will tell what is really going on but something is not being disclosed here.

On a personal note, I am kind of taken back by the anti foreign car rant going on here. There is far too much anger and hate in the world and reading it in this thread really brings me down. Its not a 'thin skin' issue or a foreign or 'us versus them' issue if you will to me. Its a manufacurer who screwed up and is not being 100% honest. Thats what ticks me off. People have died and got hurt over lack of disclosure. American manufacurers are just as guilty of this. Its just wrong to me and it stinks.

I too was die hard buy American and MoPar until my family was forced to endure the torture of owning three different brand new Chrysler cars that were virtually worthless after 3 infuriating, inconvenient and unsafe years. I am an armed forces veteran and the son of a loyal Chrysler employee that lived, breathed and preached Chrysler but was the unfortunate purchaser of two of the aforementioned disasters on wheels. My family was treated worse than terribly by Ma MoPar while dealing with the issues associated with these junkwagons. After the best auto tech that I personally knew advised me to purchase Toyota I reluctantly did so and have never looked back. My current daily driver 1994 Previa is the ugliest, most boring and absolutely best auto I have ever owned. Purchased 8 yrs. ago with 102k miles it has hauled myself and many MoPar parts in comfort in attaining it's current 203k miles. Invisible to both women and cops and not extremely powerful it has kept me out of trouble while saving me a fortune in repair costs. Say what you want but my family's daily drivers have been and will remain Toyota until such time as that company screws me as bad as Chrysler boned my family.

I have the perfect solution buy a HORSE!!!! I love it look at the maintence record change the shoes every once and a while and feed it as long as the back end is over the neighbours fence no problem there and you can get 10 years easy out of it. Odd time it might get sick but the doc cost a lot less then a mechanic and you don't even need to buy very many tools just a hammer and nails for the shoes none of the metric or SAE stuff. Who's with me if we buy in a big lot maybe we can get a deal or can start breading them so we never have to buy a new one again.

Sorry just thought I would try to lighten things up a bit. God bless and have a good day everybody.

I have the perfect solution buy a HORSE!!!! I love it look at the maintence record change the shoes every once and a while and feed it as long as the back end is over the neighbours fence no problem there and you can get 10 years easy out of it. Odd time it might get sick but the doc cost a lot less then a mechanic and you don't even need to buy very many tools just a hammer and nails for the shoes none of the metric or SAE stuff. Who's with me if we buy in a big lot maybe we can get a deal or can start breading them so we never have to buy a new one again.

Sorry just thought I would try to lighten things up a bit. God bless and have a good day everybody.

Ah... but then the tree huggers will be bitchin' about the greenhouse gasses being emitted. Sometimes ya just can't please nobody. Kinda like this thread! :toothy10:

Wylde1.

I think Toyota is putting a bandaid on this repair. Just think about it, they state the pedal is hanging up. I would guess that most of the people that drive these, will drive them normal. Meaning that they are only going to use 1/4 throttle. I would think you could stop a car at 1/4 throttle with the brakes. So far, all that I have read have stated that the engine had went full throttle. I personally believe that they have electrical "ghost" concern that they havn't found a fix for yet.

-
Back