Traffic Court WTD? Updated post #35

-
I'm sure the dash cam video was "accidentally" erased long ago.

And that should cause the case to get thrown out. A truck driver buddy of mine just beat a ticket using their dash cam because it showed something different than what the officer testified to. They was no way the judge could convict him even though he was guilty.

Use the words "safe/safely/safety" in your court appearance. This will cause the judge to use his head when issuing his verdict.
eg.- The officer was going 75mph, setting a safe pace for all who were behind him on the freeway.
Or,
I looked over my right shoulder to safely complete my lane change, enabling me to safely exit the freeway.
Keep using these words throughout your explanation of events. The judge will have to consider that you had "safety" in mind at all times, while operating your vehicle.
Best of luck to you!

There's no getting out of this.
It's a matter of minimizing the pain.
Get a lawyer and they'll be able to negotiate some sort of deal with the DA.
You shouldn't go in front of the judge with the officer - you'll lose big.
My wife gets a ticket every two years or less, and I have a legal service I get for a modest monthly fee. I just don't want any points, I don't mind paying since she was caught.

Use the words "safe/safely/safety" in your court appearance. This will cause the judge to use his head when issuing his verdict.
eg.- The officer was going 75mph, setting a safe pace for all who were behind him on the freeway.
Or,
I looked over my right shoulder to safely complete my lane change, enabling me to safely exit the freeway.
Keep using these words throughout your explanation of events. The judge will have to consider that you had "safety" in mind at all times, while operating your vehicle.
Best of luck to you!

You never wanna admit to going above the posted limit. Automatic guilty.

The sad truth is. Unless you have witnesses it's your word against his and who is the judge going to believe. Probably not you. An attorney may cost more then the fine.

Let's face it, speeding tickets are simply a tax on poor judgement. All they really want is your money.
They don't want you to lose your license. If you can afford it, get a lawyer. If you can't talk to the DA and get a plea deal. Last time I was in court for a moving violation the DA was calling people in one on one for plea deals. Their job is to collect the poor judgement tax and will drop the points in a plea agreement.

Let's face it, speeding tickets are simply a tax on poor judgement.

No, its an arbitrary tax to pay for the bloated court system. Safety is not the name of the game with traffic laws.

If it was, people would not be getting tickets for harmless infractions.

Look at redlight cameras. certain cities had them and now removed them. They were put up for "safety", but removed because they didn't make the city enough money.

Trailbeast had it right the only thing I would add would be to stick to the point that the cop couldn't have been speeding because he didn't have his lights flashing as the law requires for him to speed , that and at no time admit to speeding as far as your concerned your speedo never said anything greater than 55mph . Given the story I would be surprised if he shows in court , odds are he doesn't want this story told in open court exposing him for the dick he truly is .

PS this is of course if it is worth your time to fight in the first place , my only 2 tickets in the past 20 years were both speeding but were both in towns I didn't live in with no night court meaning a lost days pay which of course was more than the dollar value of the ticket if I took the early pay discount option they give you up here if you pay with so many days of issue .

Just go tell the DA what you told us. Then ask for the best deal he can give you. Negotiate from there. That's what a Lawyer would do. For ten times what the ticket would cost in the first place. Never bring a Lawyer to traffic court. It sends the message to the Prosecutor that you have a lot to lose because you brought a big dollar Lawyer. It instantly gives them the upper hand.

Just go tell the DA what you told us. Then ask for the best deal he can give you. Negotiate from there. That's what a Lawyer would do. For ten times what the ticket would cost in the first place. Never bring a Lawyer to traffic court. It sends the message to the Prosecutor that you have a lot to lose because you brought a big dollar Lawyer. It instantly gives them the upper hand.

Read post #35. Case is over.

If you were doing 56 or more in a 55 zone, your guilty, period. It does not matter if the cop was doing 100mph, he is exempt from speeding laws. If you are going to loose your drivers license because of this, you should hire a lawyer.

This is one of my pet peeves. Cops run 85+ in the left lane all the time going no where. No one should be exempt form the law. I don't care if they wear a shiny badge or not.:banghead:

This is one of my pet peeves. Cops run 85+ in the left lane all the time going no where. No one should be exempt form the law. I don't care if they wear a shiny badge or not.:banghead:

Police cruisers should have GPS transmitters on them...speeding (without lights/siren on) should result in instant termination!

Also note: they are often using their data terminals and/or phones while whizzing down the road at 90MPH!

here in the wash dc area they first started with red light running cameras ,but 25% of the time the police were caught so the contractor billed dc gov. for there $ % and they didn't want to pay % on the police cars. When there contract ended they were out. then the speed camera shower up and once again the police were getting 20% of the tickets and they worked out a deal, they doubled the fines on everybody else to pay for not collecting on the cop cars, first offence $150,fot 5 mph over ,it's called the commuter tax so when you come to visit dc bring a extra $1000 bucks for all the hidden speed cameras, red light cameras, and don't pull past the white line or your now BLOCKING THE BOX and get red light ticket. tickets will be waiting for you when you get back home.

"when you come to visit dc bring a extra $1000 bucks"

Da Clowns (lawmakers in DC) already have their paws deep enough into everyone's pockets. No reason to bring them more. I'm out!

here in the wash dc area they first started with red light running cameras ,but 25% of the time the police were caught so the contractor billed dc gov. for there $ % and they didn't want to pay % on the police cars. When there contract ended they were out. then the speed camera shower up and once again the police were getting 20% of the tickets and they worked out a deal, they doubled the fines on everybody else to pay for not collecting on the cop cars, first offence $150,fot 5 mph over ,it's called the commuter tax so when you come to visit dc bring a extra $1000 bucks for all the hidden speed cameras, red light cameras, and don't pull past the white line or your now BLOCKING THE BOX and get red light ticket. tickets will be waiting for you when you get back home.
Political thieves and thugs,you can steal more money with a briefcase than with a gun...greed..its what runs the politicians and their crooked gov...

The police protect and serve, in my opinion they should be allowed to go any speed they want. 99.9 % of police are the good guys.

Good thing I didn't listen to your advice. Pleaded "Not Guilty" and told the facts as I stated earlier. Judge found me Guilty but reduced fine to $50 and no points!

nice. exactly why you should go fight any moving violation. they are usually happy to not give you points as long as they get their money.

Jealous ???

No, Richard, I'm not jealous. Cops should not and CANNOT be allowed to go around breaking laws, unless they are CLEARLY in an emergency mode, meaning, lights and or sirens.

Full stops at stops signs, stopping for red lights, and obeying, or at least in reasonable compliance with speed limits...........these are laws which are REQUIRED of all of us for everybody's safety. Using turn signals is NOT an "optional equipment." It's the law.

-
Back