Tranny "double bump" issue question

-

shadango

Reaction score
Hi all....

Have a tranny issue I am looking for some feedback on that I can take to my tranny shop.

They rebuilt my tranny back in May...some new parts etc.

Seems to shift good when driving etc but one nagging problem that happens only when the engine/tranny is fully warmed up.

Sometimes when I shift into neutral, like at a traffic light, then shift back to drive, I can feel the tranny engage, but then I step on the gas and there is a slight delay in moving....accompanied by a slight clunk or engagement

If I have it in neutral and shift to drive I feel the tranny shift, then let off the brake and give it gas...it "grabs" a second time. If that makes sense....

It's like like a "double bump"... when you first put it in forward, it half engages,then when you give it gas it bumps the rest of the way into forward.....does it when going from reverse back to drive too.

So I took it down to the shop that rebuilt the tranny so they could see the issue first hand.

The guy who built the tranny and i took the car out..at first it wasnt doing it (the double bumping)...and I figured he thought I was nutz.

Well, finally, it did it.
woo.gif
He made it do it as well if he went from neutral to 1st and then pulled out. Several times.

He suggested that it could be casued by the adjustment screw for the shift kit (transgo) which governs the pressure. Says he thinks he needs to back the screw out some...he said that what is happening is that the fluid is being dumped from the 1st gear circuit when I go to neutral.

Now, snooping around on the web, it has been suggetsed that sometimes the sealing rings make grooves in the stator support. This makes delay when you put N->D. Also read that it could be that the ring grooves are worn on the input shaft...I think that is the same thing, right? Or are these two different things?

The next time I talked to the shop I suggested these and he said that was not the issue.

Do you guys have any experience with this issue?

If anyone has pictures or links on the web to sites that talk about this issue, please post them.

The tranny is out right now as I am swapping converters to try and squash a vibration issue.

Thanks all!

A good place to start on this would be line pressure. After that, with a rebuild in place as the last major history of the trans, it could be a number of things. It might be time to send it back for a look by the builder.

It went back yesterday.

What concerns me is that the tech insists that he feels that the problem is the throttle kickdown adjustment..."nothing wrong internally but I will look".

He is also calling Transgo to discuss...when I talked to Transgo, the guy there said that it is definately an internal issue, NOT related to the kit....gave me a list of a few things it could be and I related those to the tech at the shop.

I just want my tranny working right.

I have to agree with you, it sounds like an internal issue. The only way it could be a kickdown issue (assuming proper adjustment in the linkage), IMO is if the throttle valve was adjusted improperly, and that... is an internal issue.

............The spring is probably broken in the foreward clutch pack.........up means dissambly..........kim...........sounds as if u need a new tranny man..........

Well, the tranny came back from the shop a week ago and finally had the chance to install yesterday (saturday).

The shop tech said he ended up maching the stator support.....that "the case was trash"....said he had to basically tear it all down again and redo...said his boss wasnt happy....He said he also replaced the pump bushing.....

So I guess he missed that stuff the first time around?

Anyways, I have only had the chance to run it today so far. Got it as warm as I could given the 45 degree temps...didnt seem to be double bumping now...

I am crossing my fingers that that issue is history....but I guess I really wont know for sure till I can get some real miles on it in some heat....which means next summer.....by the then the warranty will be up...LOL

I did squash the vibration issue....WOOHOO!

Well, the vibration is gone as far as I can tell.

But the double bump issue is still there.

Looks like it has to come out of the car AGAIN!

sounds like throttle pressure issue to me. Too little initial pressure.
I wont ask why you mess around with it so much but sounds like you desire a manual trans. Good luck with it.

I am not "messing" with it....I am shifting from reverse (like after backing up) to either drive or low (to pull out).

I suppose I could solve the problem by simply never backing up again. LOL

-
Back