Tranny pan install

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
I am putting a new pan on my 727 and have a question. Should I put any sealer on my gasket or just install and make sure I do not over tighten? The gasket supplied with the pan is rubber. thanks for your replies!

Rubber gaskets don't need sealer, put the bolts in, then come back and give it what I call, a 'kiss and a snug'. Each bolt 180 degrees from the last one until it's done. After a heat cycle you'll want to double check them.

I used one of those rubber gaskets on my 904 and for the life of me could not get it to quit leaking.

727 is 2464324ac

904 is 4295875ac

get the applicable gasket from your dealer...no sealant and they dont leak...

use whatever gasket you want to....but those dont leak..reusable too

Probably single biggest problem with VC, oil and trans pan gaskets is OVERtightening

Hold the head of your ratchet in your palm "like a screwdriver"

I haven't had good luck with rubber gaskets either, even when the pan is new and there are no burrs or high spots on the case. The Mopar reusable one is the one I have been using for quite a while and it seals good every time for me.

I use the rubber ones with a thin film of red RTV on both sides and never had a leak problem.
I also have a sheetmetal screw in the right front corner of the pan for draining it, and I put the screw back in and a little silicone around the screw shaft inside the pan before I put it back on.
Also never leaked. (cleaned and dryed first of course)

Next time it comes off it's getting a real drain plug and the reusable gasket though.

Thanks everyone. I went to the mopar dealer this morning and bought the mack daddy gasket for my Dart. Now I just need to get out in the garage and install my new pan.

Thanks everyone. I went to the mopar dealer this morning and bought the mack daddy gasket for my Dart. Now I just need to get out in the garage and install my new pan.

Sweet, I have used these before too, they are awesome!

Smart choice I used a rubber one and all it did was leak. Went to dealer and got a good one and no issues.

Most any gasket will seal as long as you knock the dimples out of the pan first before you install the new gasket.

No silicone is needed with any transmission pan gasket!!:banghead:

Most any gasket will seal as long as you knock the dimples out of the pan first before you install the new gasket.

No silicone is needed with any transmission pan gasket!!:banghead:

Your probably right about that if everything is real close to perfect, but it isn't always perfect.
Also many trans shop use silicone, and some skip the gasket all together and use silicone only, depending on the trans.

If your transmission shop is using silicone to seal transmission pans with a gasket and silicone i would find another shop to do your work.

Some of the new transmissions silicone is used only to seal the transmission pan and there is no gasket,but if a transmission shop put silicone on my 727 pan and a gasket i think there is another problem.

If you get the gasket for a 1994-2000 dodge pickup it is the same as a 727 except it is a plastic core with rubber seals on both sides. My buddy gave me his from his 2000 diesel and it worked great. The nice thing about those is that you can reuse the gasket and they don't leak.

-
Back