Trans fluid $$$???

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Anyone buy ATF+4 lately? I used to complain at Walmart $4.77/quart. But today I had to get a case and goddam... $11 per QUART? A case of ATF+4, a filter and tax cost me $157 this morning. $12 and some was tax, also ridiculous. That's Illinois for ya though.this is an 01, takes that plastic encased style filter not the open/exposed style that I have at least 6of, sitting here.
When did they stay adding gold dust to that shyt?
And to say I have about 30 CASES of type F that I can't get any bites on via CL for 20/case.... Only a couple of tire kickers that give me nothing but drama and excuses why they can't make it here this time.... What would it have hurt to filll a fresh, dry 46RE with type F? I even blew down the coolers with a few cans of that "kooler kleen" and a 150 shot of compressed air afterwards so it was bone dry.

I do not think it would hurt anything especially on a Hot Rod application.
As I recall, Type F has more friction components and shift
a bit harder. I used it on all my older cars and race cars!

No, don't use type F in an RE trans. The modern +4, DEX6, etc., all have anti shudder additives for the lockup torque converter.

As for the price for fluid and everything else we buy, I can't reply without getting political.

I'm getting fed up with the cost of everything these days.
Before 2 days ago I'd never spent $540 (and that was with my wife's employee discount, even) on 4 tires let alone that that was for only 2..... Everything is going up except for my pay. .
I didn't put type F in there, but I wanted to just because I have so much of it /(and I've never owned a Ford anything)

Buying ATF-4 by the gallon helps a lot vs by the quart at $48.00 for the 4 quarts, at 12.00 a quart.

20230703_184938.jpg

By the gallon works out to $8.50 a quart.

☆☆☆☆☆

I just did fluid and filters in my RE68 behind my 6.7 diesel.
Let it drain over night I went thru 8.5 quarts of Dex +4 with my discount at Dodge dealer I got it for $11 per quart.
Still cheaper than rebuilding the trans.

My cost is $8.51 for Napa atf+4--I used to pay roughly $4 a quart. The napa part number is 75-206 and is made by Valvoline.

Also, to the OP, you don't have to use the plastic filter, in fact I'd recommend using the yellow Dacron filter (1966-1995) on that RE trans, simply by removing the third T25 torx screw in the valve body.

We make a .375" filter extension for this to get the spacing exact as the plastic filter.

I remember when +4 first came out, they sold an additive that you could add to Dex 3 to make it compatible for new transmissions. For all the shops that had 55gl drums full of Dex sitting around.

. But today I had to get a case and goddam... $11 per QUART
You bought that at O'Rileys didn't you?

For the same Pennzoil high milage10W-40 oil Orileys charges 11.00 (ish)

Same exact oil at Home Depot 5.00 ish.

Nope. Federated auto parts
But in my opinion the guy that said he can get it for $8.51 that's even too damn high

Last I bought was at wally's and was $8.50.

I need some more and priced it at Advance yesterday- $13.

Gonna look at wal-mart today.

I like the gallon idea.

I would imagine, though I have not paid attention to it, that Menards carries that ATF also, Dex 4. Will try and remember to look the next time I am there.

Type F is about $6. at Walmart.
Does anyone know where to buy it cheaper?
We have 10 race cars all with aluminum speciality
internal Drums etc. and need to change them all every
20 runs to get the aluminum flakes out.
The brand does not seem to make any difference anymore!

20 a case for F?? I would take 5 cases if i were local.. i always used F in my old mopars. never had issues with it

I am dealing on a 71 Demon Superstock in
So Minnesota and may be heading your way
in a couple weeks.
If I do perhaps, we can make a deal and I will buy
all the cases that you want to sell.
If I do buy the car?

Type F is about $6. at Walmart.
Does anyone know where to buy it cheaper?
We have 10 race cars all with aluminum speciality
internal Drums etc. and need to change them all every
20 runs to get the aluminum flakes out.
The brand does not seem to make any difference anymore!
Rural king used to be $3.99 a quart for type f. It since has gone up to $5.49 a quart. That is what I use in my race transmission as well as other race transmissions I build. I’ve gone many rounds with it and it treats me the same as every other type f I’ve put in.

I could swear someone here mentioned (In a old thread) about using some industrial hydraulic fluid as trans fluid and it's insanely cheap... can't remember the name though.. type 401 or something?

I could swear someone here mentioned (In an old thread) about using some industrial hydraulic fluid as trans fluid and it's insanely cheap... can't remember the name though.. type 401 or something?
I remember that as well. I think that was more geared toward a 727/904 and not an RE style trans. Like Duster346 said, the atf +4 and other modern fluids have correct additives for the lockup converters.

Anyone buy ATF+4 lately? I used to complain at Walmart $4.77/quart. But today I had to get a case and goddam... $11 per QUART? A case of ATF+4, a filter and tax cost me $157 this morning. $12 and some was tax, also ridiculous. That's Illinois for ya though.this is an 01, takes that plastic encased style filter not the open/exposed style that I have at least 6of, sitting here.
When did they stay adding gold dust to that shyt?
And to say I have about 30 CASES of type F that I can't get any bites on via CL for 20/case.... Only a couple of tire kickers that give me nothing but drama and excuses why they can't make it here this time.... What would it have hurt to filll a fresh, dry 46RE with type F? I even blew down the coolers with a few cans of that "kooler kleen" and a 150 shot of compressed air afterwards so it was bone dry.
i understand about the price of things ,i also live in this state, i just bought atf4 ,cost me around 19$ a gallon,i save my gallon containers and buy it at the dealer in bulk out of their tank. parts stores are 9to 11 dollars a quart.

I could swear someone here mentioned (In a old thread) about using some industrial hydraulic fluid as trans fluid and it's insanely cheap... can't remember the name though.. type 401 or something?
Ag hydraulic fluid for tractors?

-
Back