Transmission cooler under driver area? Pass or Proceed?

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a spot where I can fit my derale transmission cooler. It will be above the frame connector and all lines would be above as well. Yet it sticks down an inch or so. The frame looks like it would protect it from direct rock hits. Also the cooling fins are up high and the fan is lower so any direct hit would only break the fan shroud. Has anyone else done this or should I change locations. I don't want it up front so the only other choice is above the rear axle. Just a more difficult install. How about noise?

IMG-2689.jpg
IMG-2688.jpg
IMG-2687.jpg

It is just sitting there in the pics. Nothing installed yet.

Second option, can you raise the cooler in the mount using some spacers. It looks like a good spot.

Sorry to disagree with everyone on this.
Best spot is in front of the radiator.
Next best spot is somewhere in the engine compartment. Like under the battery. Use it on a tilt blowing downwards or back toward the firewall.

If running hard lines is to difficult, AN lines can be routed to where you want it. As an example, to the rear of the car above the axle in front of the gas tank blowing downwards.

IMO, air flow is the issue where it sits now as well as the danger of road debris’s smashing it.

I agree with rumble, the best spot is in front of the radiator. Mine is behind the radiator, but inside the shroud so it still gets good airflow.
But, if there is a reason to put it under drivers seat, as long as the fan provides airflow, and road debris can't get to it, it should work.

Sorry to disagree with everyone on this.
Best spot is in front of the radiator.
Next best spot is somewhere in the engine compartment. Like under the battery. Use it on a tilt blowing downwards or back toward the firewall.

If running hard lines is to difficult, AN lines can be routed to where you want it. As an example, to the rear of the car above the axle in front of the gas tank blowing downwards.

IMO, air flow is the issue where it sits now as well as the danger of road debris’s smashing it.

I have enough trouble keeping the 512 cool. That is why I do not want it up front. The engine compartment is more of a kiln than an oven. Even with a 26 inch radiator and hood scoop. The air flow would come from the fan not wind. Same for over the rear axle. I will be running nickel/copper lines into it with an connectors. The lines will have insulation going over the exhaust.

Well, try it. Add a temp sensor and take note of the trans temp. Use a stacked plate cooler, they are the most efficient.

You can always move it somewhere else. Maybe use steel hardline instead of the copper/nickel. I think it’s a little more robust. Go for it, get it done. You won’t know until ya go!

Only thing I’d worry about is getting it too close to the floor. You need enough space (plenum) on both sides of the radiator so air will flow and if it’s flush to the the floor you’ll be p’ing in the wind IMO.

That unit looks pretty small — did you consider inside the front wheel well, behind the headlight bucket? There is a lot of depth there, and it would be better protected from road damage. I know I have been on road trips that would have ground that thing flat in the position you are showing it (high crown rough roads).

That unit looks pretty small — did you consider inside the front wheel well, behind the headlight bucket? There is a lot of depth there, and it would be better protected from road damage. I know I have been on road trips that would have ground that thing flat in the position you are showing it (high crown rough roads).
It moves 500 cfm. It should be ok. I am not racing the car except a few test and tunes. I did a mock up and moved the brake line up so I got more clearance than before. I happen to have 2 lengths of -6an line that fit will fit it perfectly so it will go there for the time being. I just ordered some 1/8 npt to -6an fittings so the install will be clean.

Remote Mount : 15 Row Atomic Cool Plate & Fin Remote Transmission Cooler Kit, -8AN

Only thing I’d worry about is getting it too close to the floor. You need enough space (plenum) on both sides of the radiator so air will flow and if it’s flush to the the floor you’ll be p’ing in the wind IMO.
It is set off the floor by the base. There is 1/2-3/4 inch clearance. It is designed not to be flush preventing air flow. I may install a temp gauge as well, not sure about that just yet.

It moves 500 cfm.
The fan might move that much, but airflow depends on how much can be moved through the unit. If it is close to the floor pan there will be a lack of space for inrush air. For me, I got the largest stacked plate cooler I could fit in front of my radiator & used AN fittings.

BTW, when I said "it looks small", I wasn't commenting on how well it would work — I was suggesting it was small enough to tuck into the fender well. I suggested that because I have seen similar installations in rally cars, which would NEVER put anything under the floor — it would get destroyed in short order.

I finished up my remote transmission cooler and installed a transmission fluid thermostat for the dash.
IMG-2723.jpg
IMG-2725.jpg
IMG-2726.jpg
IMG-2724.jpg
IMG-2727.jpg

The thermostat will tell me if I have enough airflow to keep things cool. Now I have to think about what, if any guard I put over it to protect it??

-
Back