Transmission will not go in. HELP!!!!!

-

slx70

Reaction score
I am converting auto to 4 speed in a 1970 dart 340,I have all the parts and pieces, my problem is after installing flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate and bellhousing. the transmission will not go in. The bearing retainer hits the bellhousing. I checked the alignment and it was off, so I bought off set alignment dowls 21 th. the largest offset available and and the retainer still hits. I took the dowls out and and put 3 bellhousing bolts in and the trans slides right in. I put the rest of the bellhousing bolts in ,all but 1 that was off just a bit . Has any one had this problem? I have been fighting this for a couple of months now and am at witts end. Can you run without the dowl pins in?

Absolutely not.

You need to find out what the trouble is. Google "bell housing alignment" There are many videos and websites with destructions. Doesn't matter if it's a Chivvy, Ford, or Studebaker.

Have you tried putting the gearbox in with the clutch not installed? What did you do to center the clutch disc?

Here: From Lakewood

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&ved=0CJgBEBYwDw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gt40s.com%2Fforum%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D50231%26d%3D1292251774&ei=8W9mU7jYKMO7oQSLm4LADA&usg=AFQjCNEHNh_dxPQ4aR_rvxtJypk3F5x9zg&sig2=S6nbEV30rz6LK6U1oTTXiw

What is NOT shown in the above destructions is checking the transmission mount for parallel to the block. This is done by rigging the indicator to read on the rear of the bell--- the transmission mounting surface. This is normally done with the engine hung vertically on a stand to negate crank end play

The gearbox will not go in without clutch installed , the trans bearing retainer hits the bellhousing. When I installed the clutch i used the alignment tool that came with the clutch

If the bearing retainer is the right size for the bell opening you probably don't have the clutch disk centered.
Did you use a centering tool when you put the clutch assembly together.
If not, this is probably what the problem is.

I hesitated to say this, and I mean no offense by it, but if you are asking this, then using offset dowels scares me a bit.

Sorry, but I didn't know how else to put it.

The gearbox will not go in without clutch installed , the trans bearing retainer hits the bellhousing. When I installed the clutch i used the alignment tool that came with the clutch

Measure the diameters, bellhousing and retainer.

Measure the diameters, bellhousing and retainer.

Yep, apparently there are two different sizes of retainer.

At first I thought I missed some really important info, but the OP was posting at the same time I was.

If it is the Bearing Retainer right size, there are 3 different sizes, the clutch is not centered. Put the dowel pins back. The plastic tools are not so good. Try loosening the pressure plate bolts so the clutch will float under pressure and try it that way. Make sure you retorque the pressure plate bolts when you get it together.

Offset pins are not there to fix a retainer that is hitting the bell housing; something sounds way off or the parts do not match up. Running without the dowel pins installed is a bad idea; the trannie/bellhousing will shift around without them.

Is there an issue with the bellhousing setting off the rear of the block at an angle with the dowel installed? Are they somehow a bit too long and not allowing the bellhousing to sit flush on the back of the block?

Guys re read his posting...................He says without the dowels it goes right in. Sounds like an alignment problem for sure.

Dowel pins are to center the bearing retainer hole in the bellhousing with the crankshaft. The bellhousing bolts are to hold the Bellhousing to the block.

-
Back