Transporting glass

-

GhostFish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on transporting 2 windshields about 300 miles? Ram bed. Obviously I don't want to strap them down too tight, nor too loose. Should I use blankets in between? Invest in giant bubble wrap?

Any thoughts, suggestions, stories from experiences?

Thanks!

I'd be tempted to call the local windshield outfit and see how they do it. Those windshields have to get there somehow, LOL

That's not a bad idea...although they may have special trucks designed for it. I'm just getting two used ones along with a crap load of trim for the Dart.

Old couch cushions work really well. Lay one down to stand them upright on, (in the same position they are installed). Then put one on the front for the first to lean on, put one between the two and put one at the back and prop something against it to hold the whole thing steady.

Is your truck an extended cab or club cab.

IF it is I would wrap them in a comforter or moving blanket and set them in the seat (on edge) and strap em in with the seat belts.

Most glass company trucks I have seen have a padded rack inside with upright posts and the glass sets in between the uprights.

Wow that rack is awesome. Probably overkill for me considering I only plan this trip with glass once. Still looks sweet lol.

And the truck is a standard cab sadly. So upright and padded as much as possible. I think I have some spare 2x4s in the garage I could build something with actually to keep them upright. I know I have a few spare blankets too. I think that might do the trick!

@fratz - lol "mostly" I know how my luck runs >.<

Wow that rack is awesome. Probably overkill for me considering I only plan this trip with glass once. Still looks sweet lol.

And the truck is a standard cab sadly. So upright and padded as much as possible. I think I have some spare 2x4s in the garage I could build something with actually to keep them upright. I know I have a few spare blankets too. I think that might do the trick!

@fratz - lol "mostly" I know how mu luck runs >.<

I used the rack as an example if you wanted to build one out of pvc and foam wraps. Cost would be rally cheap as none of the materials are expensive.

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is to protect the edges as best you can. Any sharp blow on the edge could lend you a pile of little pieces of glass.

I think you'll be fine as long as you pack and cushion them properly.

Making a quick makeshift rack to put them in so you can secure them isn't a bad idea.

PAD, PAD and PAD!

Get some pvc and the foam wrap they put over it to prevent freezing and build a rack would be one option. Glass has a better chance of not breaking if it is transported upright.

View attachment 1714713736

I have also used mattresses to transport glass but I haven't hauled it 300 miles.

at the glass pant I worked at if we wanted to transport 1 or 2 pieces of glass to a different plant or to do a remote repair we would just use 2"x4"'s drilled like the above rack using 1/2 inch wooden dowel rods instead of metal. they were spaced about 1 to 2 inches apart due to the different curvatures of the glass being transported. We would have the top piece a 2"x4" with the holes drilled all the way through and a 1 inch layer of fclosed cell foam to help hold the glass in position and cushion it. It was NOT locked down solid tight on the top of the glass(just clamped onto the dowel rods to prevent coming off while driving). The bottom was locked down solid to the bed of the truck with snatch straps or bolted to the bed if using a company truck. I transported glass that way as far as Chicago from Detroit where the plant was located.

Make the same rack as above out of 2x4 and put some couch cushions on each side and the bottom so the stand upright but can't move freely. Screw it together so you can just take it apart and get the cushions back on the couch before the bride misses them!!

Glass has a better chance of not breaking if it is transported upright.
we have a winner.

One thing you don't want is movement-when I used to have to transport curved glass on the truck at the glass shop I worked at, I would clamp it down tight in the middle against the rack, then put a little pressure against the ends so they couldn't move. If it starts to move around (and flex) that's obviously when it's going to break. Same as laying it flat on the ends, or with the ends up, if it can flex it's toast.

and yeah, the PPG (sorry, PGW) vans that delivered our glass had racks like those in them

good god just take 4 old tires with you. put each piece of glass (curves facing up) on top of a tire then put another on top of it. 13 or 14's work best. been doing it that way for 25 years and never broke one yet. long ago when you bought a window from the salvage yard you always got two tires with your window to transport it. No it can not be on a rim...............just the tires

I don't know about anyone else but I don't have 4 spare tires laying around...

I do have extra 2x4s and some blankets though so I made a contraption that will hold them upright in the bed. Should be good to go.

Thanks for everyone's input!

-
Back