Travco motorhome

-
Cosgig- my daughters are 12 and 6, the older one is good help. The younger one is a one of those kids who is fun to have around, but helping out can be a coin toss.

And I was surprised to hear that coming from the wife. Normally she wants nothing to do with my vehicle projects. Nothing. Nada. Spent the rest of the day wondering if my real wife had been abducted and replaced...

i love travco motor homes. especially the earlies. As a pic ***** I say MORE PICS

Cosgig- my daughters are 12 and 6, the older one is good help. The younger one is a one of those kids who is fun to have around, but helping out can be a coin toss.

And I was surprised to hear that coming from the wife. Normally she wants nothing to do with my vehicle projects. Nothing. Nada. Spent the rest of the day wondering if my real wife had been abducted and replaced...

I'm feeling some "wife and girls can't wait to go camping" vibes coming from inside the Travco!!! You better investigate!!!......

When you take something like this into the woods, can it really be called "Camping," Cospip?

Hemi- I'll get some when we move it out and start cleaning. It's dark inside otherwise and the exterior needs a good detailing. Not to worry, I plan to get plenty of pictures

Ask the girls which "camping" they'd rather do....tents and hard ground or plug-ins and hair dryers!! I'd say they'll call the Travco a "camper" anytime!!

We're currently "camping" at Fort Wilderness at Disney in Orlando! We got a free upgrade to full hookup!! No complaints from wife and girls!!LOL!! Geof

Ha, ha, ha- replaced the back two fuel filters and installed a mini starter yesterday. Looks as though I will be replacing the fuel hoses back there and having a custom starter cable made since the hook ups on the Nippondenso are towards the front, while the "Highland Hummingbird's" were towards the rear.
The relay is up in the frame rail with hardly any slack, so it was only about 6+" too short...
So new battery & starter cables being made up with full insulation jackets on all three

Picked up the new battery and relay-to-starter cables yesterday. Cost me $61 for the 3 cables, the plastic ribbed tubing, and the battery post felts. Spent another $20.79 on a roll of DEi "Cool Tape," which I wrapped the cables with (under the tubing, of course).
Luckily I have a friend who is the retired manager of the local Interstate Batteries warehouse who still sells via swap meets and car clubs. Between the "Extreme deep cycle" D8 battery and these custom cables, I'll bet he has saved me over $300 on all the 'deals.' Heck yeah he was on my Christmas card list!

Don't know if you can see it or not, but that is 'welding cable' that was used for the battery. It's a bit 'meatier' than the stock stuff from 1976.

The battery sits in a slide out tray just ahead of the entry door, the negative cable bolts to the chassis, while the positive heads rearward through an access spot in the frame. The positive cable bolts to a master power switch that, when you open the coach door, can be seen on the 2nd step near the right corner. So the extra heft of the cable is really welcomed!

Attachments

• SSCN2814[2].JPG
    39 KB · Views: 283
  • SSCN2813[1].JPG
    40 KB · Views: 275
  • SSCN2812[2].JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 281
Got the cables all in, hit the master power switch and everything came to life...except the starter. Twisted the key and "Click." Tapped the starter (it is a rebuilt Nippondenso and had it bench tested before I popped it in place) again and- "Click."
Tried jumping across the lugs on the relay-"Click." Hand-spun the motor, not frozen.
Will have a new 2-blade relay in the AM.
If no improvement in this, I have no good idea of what the issue is

Yeah, that'll do it:cheers:!

Did install the new relay, reconnected the cables, twisted the key and was greeted by a fresh, different tone of "Click!"
Nothing.
Ended up talking to a friend who owns a shop and was a master tech at Chrysler "Back in the day." His thought is that there is too much resistance in getting the power transmitted forward to the relay, the ends and/or cable has corrosion killing the flow of electrons.
Crawled back underneath- hell, I've spent more time by far underneath it than inside it, LOL- and proceeded to remove the 14'+ of cable that runs from the outlet side of the master power switch to the starter relay.
Going to get it lengthened 3-4', run it up inside the backside of the doghouse instead of directly over the back half of the tranny.
Biggest PITA? Must've been a Monday morning or Friday afternoon when this thing got insulated (spray foam insulation). Somebody was way happy about using as much product as possible and not caring to wrap /avoid the wiring. I can see I will be spending a lot of time underneath it cleaning and straightening up this sloppy "Crapsmanship."

Spoke with the uncle yesterday. Will also be checking the ground(s) here when the new forward cable arrives and I head back up there (it's about 30 minutes from my house)

Frederick-irony? My nickname is Fred. I like the desert in Central and Eastern Washington a lot. And I also own a '69 V-100 (hence the name). Meth? Not so much...

6 degrees of seperation

New cable done, in hand...if the weather cooperates, it'll be installed shortly

That's cuz it's like a mini house, you know shes just waiting to decorate it her way lol

Next thing you know...etched glass roses and "Curly-Qs'" in all the windows. NO

I say you have a good start to several years of adding to the family history. Once you get her cleaned ,fired up, and road worthy. Take the family out and start camping and making family history!

You are very correct Barracuda...that is the plan. Trying to find a set of the Alcoa 19.5 rims for it, putting 'feelers' out since they stopped producing them 10 years ago.

Might be moving to Sarasota shortly, so don't be surprised if you see this thing within the next year

Frederick-irony? My nickname is Fred. I like the desert in Central and Eastern Washington a lot. And I also own a '69 V-100 (hence the name). Meth? Not so much...

6 degrees of seperation

Sorry, reference to the show Breaking Bad.... :eek:ops:

V'-100,it's damn nice,to see you: invigorated/ complianing/garbage happens,...Looking to ,somd damn cool stuff....

-
Back