Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

-
OK flow numbers are in. Now my flow bench is a tool just like any other tool in the shop. Its home made and is not as fancy as the BIG expensive ones, but it does its job. I use it to flow a head, then port, then flow again to see a difference. Its is fairly accurate and the correlation I get from the actual power one of my engines makes will back it up. From what Im seeing here compared to what TFS claims, yup Im impressed. Is there room to grow? Hell Yes there is!

Flow
Intake Exhaust

I used the same 2.00" exhaust tube as they did. My bore size is a little bigger at 4.400"

Again, these heads are the Real Deal. I will be using them to build a 400-500 stroker and a 440-505 stroker this year. I hope to have them both done before the end of the year, and hopefully before Christmas, so you guys can add them to your Christmas List after we prove they work!

These really look like a BOLT ON AND GO HEAD, unlike some of the other stuff out there for use Mopar guys. Now they need to kick it in the *** and get us some Small Block Heads, Intakes, Valve covers, maybe some rocker arms ect. Boy wouldn't that be nice?

These really look like a BOLT ON AND GO HEAD, unlike some of the other stuff out there....
So to be completely clear, you feel that we can really take these right out of the box and
install them without any disassembly or checking, unlike with other aftermarket heads?

Since the 400/470 kit I'm ordering from 440 Source is intended to be 78cc when installed
as specified (10.06 comp ratio) I should be right on target for a happy pump gas motor.

X2... Please do

Yes I need them bolted onto a small bore and checked. My eddy heads have larger exhaust valves and they clear. How would the smaller valve not clear? My pistons are flat tops with no valve reliefs. Cam is only .525 lift and 248 @ .050

It's very possible that the heads were designed with the valve positions slightly relocated
for better flow. We'll have to see what the man says.

If they are slightly relocated...that would mean other than stock location valvetrain
wouldnt it?

I'm just posing the possibility but you have a point....unless it is a matter of only a few thousands.

What's the difference in the heads? I'm trying to figure out which ones to buy. I want titanium retainer ones but it looks like there are 3 different ones

3 diff might be the spring rate diff. yes its max spring and spring diameter are the differences...

I don't have any small bore BBM right now, but I measured the chamber again and got a measurment of 4.340" at the widest point, so unless you have at least that size bore I don't see the point. They claim a bore of at least 4.350" and I tend to agree. You can try to make the big 2.19 intake valve work on a small bore 383 but that's like running a 2.08 on a 318, makes no sense.

wonder what kind of power those would make on a pump gas 470-499 with a good solid roller in it, cant wait to see what mike can get out of them:D

I don't see why the chamber size is so important. The chamber very obviously widens out from the valve edges, so, what's the big issue? For it to physically fit, all that matters is the valves don't interfere with the bore. Don't give me all that hooplah about shrouding and all that jazz......on all but the most powerful builds that crap means nothing.

OK flow numbers are in. Now my flow bench is a tool just like any other tool in the shop. Its home made and is not as fancy as the BIG expensive ones, but it does its job. I use it to flow a head, then port, then flow again to see a difference. Its is fairly accurate and the correlation I get from the actual power one of my engines makes will back it up. From what Im seeing here compared to what TFS claims, yup Im impressed. Is there room to grow? Hell Yes there is!

Flow
Intake Exhaust

I used the same 2.00" exhaust tube as they did. My bore size is a little bigger at 4.400"

Again, these heads are the Real Deal. I will be using them to build a 400-500 stroker and a 440-505 stroker this year. I hope to have them both done before the end of the year, and hopefully before Christmas, so you guys can add them to your Christmas List after we prove they work!

These really look like a BOLT ON AND GO HEAD, unlike some of the other stuff out there for use Mopar guys. Now they need to kick it in the *** and get us some Small Block Heads, Intakes, Valve covers, maybe some rocker arms ect. Boy wouldn't that be nice?

Agreed on small block heads/intakes,Mike. Those look a LOT better than most out of the box heads, how were clearances on disassemble?

RRR that is the discussion. seems that the heads may have an interference issue with bores less than 4.350

RRR that is the discussion. seems that the heads may have an interference issue with bores less than 4.350

Right, but the measurement that matters is the width from both outside valve edges, not the chamber width.

Plus, Trick Flows claim to fame has always been moving the valves around from their stock locations to help flow. Look at their Chevy and Ford offerings.

The valve center lines are not moved. They are in the stock location. The chamber will overhang the bore on a 383, but it does appear that the valves will clear with about .100" clearance to the wall on a 4.280" bore on both the intake and exhaust side. So it could work on a 383, just have to do some massaging of cylinder tops for the chamber. I wish I had a 383 block to mock them up on to verify these measurements, but I don't. If someone close has on and want to bring it out, that would be great. Then we can put this in the books.

But I still agree that the bore size should be bigger to help take advantage of the chamber and valve package. But it does appear they will work on a 383.

We should know tomorrow as I have a 4.25 bore big block. It will all work out, especially with the smaller exhaust valve as you can even use offset head locating dowels to shift the cylinder head around if need be. That and the 426 max wedge (4.25 bore) came with 1.88 exhaust valves and I have used 2.20 intakes with .680 gross lift on a 4.290 bore.

We should know tomorrow as I have a 4.25 bore big block. It will all work out, especially with the smaller exhaust valve as you can even use offset head locating dowels to shift the cylinder head around if need be. That and the 426 max wedge (4.25 bore) came with 1.88 exhaust valves and I have used 2.20 intakes with .680 gross lift on a 4.290 bore.

super excited to see what you come up with Jim. I have hopes of swapping mine onto my 383 and get real world comparisons to my eddy heads.

I wonder what the larger dia. combustion chamber would do to the head gaskets on a 383?

thanks Mike, if you're impressed, I'm impressed. Time to save......

Talking to a good friend of mine he pointed out that these heads will likely need longer pushrods. He said to get these flow numbers, the port roof has to be raised and a valve over 5" is probably used. That would require the shaft support to be raised as well, requiring longer pushrods, right?

-
Back