Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

-
Talking to a good friend of mine he pointed out that these heads will likely need longer pushrods. He said to get these flow numbers, the port roof has to be raised and a valve over 5" is probably used. That would require the shaft support to be raised as well, requiring longer pushrods, right?

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, you're only a day away..............

Mike could maybe tell us today if they are using a longer valve.

When they get here tomorrow I will measure from the deck surface to the rocker stand and we will know. But I can tell you this, we have gotten, according to our flowbench, 350 cfm from the RPM head and the Stealth head and they don't have raised ports.

Of course these heads will give us an idea if our flowbench is all out of whack. We can compare our bench to Mike's and the advertised flows. So far no CNC ported head has ever even equaled the advertised flows when tested on our bench.

You cannot race flowbenches.............but you can compare different heads on the same flowbench.

Tomorrow..............

............................tomorrow

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, you're only a day away..............

Mike could maybe tell us today if they are using a longer valve.

When they get here tomorrow I will measure from the deck surface to the rocker stand and we will know. But I can tell you this, we have gotten, according to our flowbench, 350 cfm from the RPM head and the Stealth head and they don't have raised ports.

Of course these heads will give us an idea if our flowbench is all out of whack. We can compare our bench to Mike's and the advertised flows. So far no CNC ported head has ever even equaled the advertised flows when tested on our bench.

You cannot race flowbenches.............but you can compare different heads on the same flowbench.

Tomorrow..............

............................tomorrow

not gonna sleep tonight. its like i sent my child off to surgery. lol super excited to hear what you find.

So they are longer valves, about .400" longer.

Yup, they be LONG. I got an installed height of 1.950" with 155# seat pressure and 415# open at .600 These are the 1.550" Spings

Any chance we'll see flow numbers on a set hogged out to Max-Wedge ports soon?

So they are longer valves, about .400" longer.

So with the valves being longer, does that affect anything such as piston to valve clearance?

So with the valves being longer, does that affect anything such as piston to valve clearance?

the valve is in the stock location. the installed height is taller. that means that the valve is longer on the rocker side of the head. it allows more travel for the valve. it doesn't put the valve closer to the piston. your cam lift is the only thing that will effect valve to piston clearance other then the overall size of the valve head itself.

The rocker arm pedestal is .600" taller from the head face to the rocker shaft saddle.

The intake valve hits the cylinder wall of the 4.250 standard bore at .770" when using a 8519PT1 head gasket. The exhaust valve doesn't hit the wall before the retainer hits the valve seal at .850".

the valve is in the stock location. the installed height is taller. that means that the valve is longer on the rocker side of the head. it allows more travel for the valve. it doesn't put the valve closer to the piston. your cam lift is the only thing that will effect valve to piston clearance other then the overall size of the valve head itself.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm no engine expert by any means but that makes sense.

The rocker arm pedestal is .600" taller from the head face to the rocker shaft saddle.

The intake valve hits the cylinder wall of the 4.250 standard bore at .770" when using a 8519PT1 head gasket. The exhaust valve doesn't hit the wall before the retainer hits the valve seal at .850".

So with a valve spring change the heads could go 0.800 or more lift right out of the box? Glad to see that the Trick Flow engineers didn't screw up the installed height like the Edelbrock engineer did. Sounds like the installed height on these heads is even better than on most of the Indy heads. The Indy heads usually require machine work to handle a big valve spring and 0.800 lift.

looks like these are going onto my 383 soon as i get them back!

what head gaskets do you recommend for the 383 with a .030 over bore ( 4.280). the 8519PT1 says it is a factory replacement and not intended for performance use. or are they just fine?

What head bolt kit do you recommend? I like to use ARP when possible.

got my new summit catalog and the trick flow heads are in there,im interested what people say before I buy a pair

looks like these are going onto my 383 soon as i get them back!

what head gaskets do you recommend for the 383 with a .030 over bore ( 4.280). the 8519PT1 says it is a factory replacement and not intended for performance use. or are they just fine?

What head bolt kit do you recommend? I like to use ARP when possible.

I use the 8519PT1 to 12:1 and I've never had a failure with them.

TrickFlow recommends ARP 145-3609 head bolts in their instruction sheets.

I'm with Mike, I see these heads as the real deal.

The spring pockets are super thick. The ports could easily go MaxWedge tall but you would have to bell mouth the sides of the ports around the pushrod holes to get the width.

what hardland sharp rockers can I use and arp head stud kit

According to the Trick Flow instructions, for Harland Sharp rockers use:

S70015KE for 1.5:1
S70015KE for 1.6:1

Stud kit, TrickFlow:

TFS-61604304

Or they use the same ARP 145-3609 head bolts as the Victor 440 heads so they might use the same ARP studs, but I have no part number for them.

-
Back