Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

-
BIG bores make more power, plain and simple.
Yep, hence the "LMAO" after the question.
Mike, be carefull saying that out loud on here, most members on this site don't believe that!
After reading what you said, backing Mike, I guess it is better to say it than not. I believe it soundly, and it is said here by a few that know that you think would be believed, but, theres still a few that won't believe it. I guess there gonna have to build a few engines to find out what we all ready know. You try to tell'em...... Let'em go to the school of hard knocks and empty pockets instead.

I have 2 builds in the shop that I will be testing them on, a 505 RB and a 500 B, both with HR cams.
Firstly, heartfelt thanks to MRL and IQ52 for everything you guys do. There is no way to put a value on
your input and I for one couldn't be any more appreciative.

A set of the Trick Flow heads are definitely in the cards. Now the can of worms.

The one thing that I am still in complete flux on is the valvetrain. I am all over the place on whether to use
a hydraulic or solid; flat tappet or roller.

Best bang for the buck is probably a solid flat tappet but a hydraulic flat tappet is relatively maintenance (and
noise) free once you get past the break-in period.

Then you lean towards a roller due to the inherent performance advantages along with the elimination of
break-in concerns. There may be some durability issues on long term street use of rollers with "race type"
specs but I'm hoping that something more conservative should not be an issue.

You hear many good reports about no-problem street use of a conservative soild roller setup and then you go
somewhere else (ex. Yellow Bullet) and see where people swear that there is NO WAY a solid roller will last for
more than 2,000 miles on the street (admittedly this seems to be mostly from BBC and BBF owners running
.800 lift set-ups).

Many modern new cars come with hydraulic rollers albeit being designed for them from the start.

I am thus strongly considering a small Voodoo solid roller with MRL big wheel roller lifters (my only choice) and
wonder if there would be a significant performance penalty for using a 550+ lift hydraulic roller (with or without
bushed lifter bores) in comparison. What about switching the Trick Flow valve springs for Bee Hives on either cam?

Intended use will be anything from car shows and lot's of local cruising to hopping on the expressway for a
couple of hours.

Question: Are the lifter bores bushed in both of the builds mentioned above?

HR?
I prefer to know what these new ports can do running on solids and race gas.
Test out that high grade aluminum alloy with some heat and cylinder pressure.
Is trick flow a race head manufacture or Is this just another Chinese street rod head on the market? Never followed the non Mopar camps parts much.
Be nice to see a USA made race quality head with ports sized for 446 cubes.
440s have great cranks and a decent block. The heads and oiling need the most help to get
more out of them.
Tired of the sound of lazy hydraulic 500 cubic dollar engines choking on junk gas myself.
To streetable to catch or hold my attention. Fingers crossed that these are more than street parts.
Great to hear your reports on these heads are a better quality than what's been available,
hope the news keeps coming in good as you pass on your findings.

HR?
I prefer to know what these new ports can do running on solids and race gas.
Test out that high grade aluminum alloy with some heat and cylinder pressure.
Is trick flow a race head manufacture or Is this just another Chinese street rod head on the market? Never followed the non Mopar camps parts much.
Be nice to see a USA made race quality head with ports sized for 446 cubes.
440s have great cranks and a decent block. The heads and oiling need the most help to get
more out of them.
Tired of the sound of lazy hydraulic 500 cubic dollar engines choking on junk gas myself.
To streetable to catch or hold my attention. Fingers crossed that these are more than street parts.
Great to hear your reports on these heads are a better quality than what's been available,
hope the news keeps coming in good as you pass on your findings.

To hear the excitement from 2 builders is VERY positive.... I do see your direction of question.....the "too good to be true".... hope the heads are all they are shown to be also....soon the abuse factor will tell the "rest of the story". Thanks again to all the info these guys are putting out there... better than a magazine article so far!

Trick Flow Specialties has been around for awhile and is very reputable. They started in '83 with Ford 385 series stuff and has expanded since. Known for high quality pieces and big power.

Thanks 451, this is sounding more encouraging the more we hear from everyone.
On the edge of our seats here.

now to figure out witch part number to order that will match my cam the best which is a 23-702-9.I'm using 1.6 rocker arms

Hey Mr. Liston, what would you recommend for pistons with these heads? Looking for a nice 10:1 street 440, nothing real radical. Thanks again for your work and info.

Any 440 flat top piston with valve reliefs will do the trick. They will put you in the 10-10.5 range depending on your installed height and head gasket thickness.

Maybe MRL should become a authorized distributor for trick flow......since he and IQ did all that work to verify and support their claims...

How well will they flow on a 500 cid low deck stroker motor? I have a 4.375 stroke Keith Black that I want to drop into 400 block for my 68 valiant project car.

That many cubic inches you want max wedge ports or larger. Standard ports are too small unless you're talking low rpm daily driver type engine.

That's what 526CI(?), you really should consider B-1's, originals or M/C's. 800+hp with two plug wires pulled off.:D S/F....Ken M

Got a question here. Does it appear that anything different has been done to help cool the two center exhaust ports? I know its hard to say without cutting one open but thought I would ask anyways. Thanks

I have 2 builds in the shop that I will be testing them on, a 505 RB and a 500 B, both with HR cams. Actually they are very similar in build specs, as they both want the same thing. Only real difference is one guy wanted a tall deck, the other wanted a short deck BBM.

Interested in the results. Any approx cam specs you can share with results?

These are a possible upgrade for my warmed over 516's on my street 493" RB

Measured combustion chamber sizes in cc's.

Head #1..........77.6, 77.5, 77.6 & 77.4
Head #2..........77.6, 77.5, 77.6 & 77.4

The very same on both heads

outstanding Jim! I am very impressed with how accurate the machine work is on these heads.

So how much will a Trick Flow cylinder head change effect performance? Can't tell you that yet. But we are beginning to get feedback on changing from a OOTB RPM head to a ported RPM head.

On a RPM head/RPM intake to a ported 2.14/1.81 RPM head and a Victor intake that went from 266 cfm @ .500" lift to 295 cfm and from 278 cfm @ .600" lift to 314 cfm, That car went from 11.75 ET to 11.07.

A 4000# B-body with OOTB RPM heads, a RPM manifold and a 511 B-engine, went to a 440 using the same cam, same compression, ported 2.14/1.81 RPM heads and ported RPM manifold, completely skipped the 12's and went from 13.05 to 11.80.

These Trick Flow heads are going to be as good.......as long as you are able to build an engine that can support them.

So how much will a Trick Flow cylinder head change effect performance? Can't tell you that yet. But we are beginning to get feedback on changing from a OOTB RPM head to a ported RPM head.

On a RPM head/RPM intake to a ported 2.14/1.81 RPM head and a Victor intake that went from 266 cfm @ .500" lift to 295 cfm and from 278 cfm @ .600" lift to 314 cfm, That car went from 11.75 ET to 11.07.

A 4000# B-body with OOTB RPM heads, a RPM manifold and a 511 B-engine, went to a 440 using the same cam, same compression, ported 2.14/1.81 RPM heads and ported RPM manifold, completely skipped the 12's and went from 13.05 to 11.80.

These Trick Flow heads are going to be as good.......as long as you are able to build an engine that can support them.

Low 11's here i come.

my 383:

stock bottom end rebuild with forged speed pro pistons. down in the hole 8.7:1 compression with 84cc heads

comp cams 294s .525 lift 248 @ .050

eddy performer rpm intake

750 cfm proform

tti 1 3/4" headers into full x-pipe 3" exhaust.

car went 11.82 @ 112.59 in full street trim.

I got high 77's on both, I call that good enough, splitting hairs at this point. Now on the NHRA 360 we did this year, I spent 15 hours getting them all the same, 68.6cc's

I have another set showing up tomorrow.

We are expecting 600-625HP out of this 505 with a MILD HR cam. (mid 230's duration, mid .500's lift)

We are expecting 600-625HP out of this 505 with a MILD HR cam. (mid 230's duration, mid .500's lift)

is that a 400 or 440 block? pushing the limits of the factory block isn't it? could you go into details about how you keep the bottom end together on a build such as that?

We are a Dealer for Trick flow and will also have a nice build soon for Car Craft...it'll feature a small stroker (3.910 possibly) using a hyd. roller cam. This will be a fairly high rpm build and we expect very good power from it...even on pump gas.

Brian

We are a Dealer for Trick flow and will also have a nice build soon for Car Craft...it'll feature a small stroker (3.910 possibly) using a hyd. roller cam. This will be a fairly high rpm build and we expect very good power from it...even on pump gas.

Brian

sounds like a 470 b engine? that is what im building right this moment. I am hoping for 600hp on pump gas with a solid roller cam.

Brian

Looking forward to seeing that...currently collecting pieces for a 470" B

Hey Mike. Mr. Broken Record here. Are those lifter bores bushed?

Sorry. No they are not. We just got done with 3 BBM HR roller builds this year, no issues with any of them. Ranged from 460-570hp and all were done with the same brand lifters and cams.

-
Back