Trick Flow small block heads

-
Yah but how much money did they have into their Eddy's and who did it. I can assure you that the guy who did mine was nowhere near their skill level....I'm not 100 percent sure but I'd think that guys running 9s with eddy heads have probally gone as far as to have the pushrods relocated and using offset rockers.
I looked at what Hughes big mouth CNC costs, to get yah in or near the 300cfm mark and it gets pretty damn expensive..especially after shipping the heads from canada, to them and being shipped back. Not to mention the costs of using their rocker set up.
Talk to Pittsburgh racer, he's a friendly guy and he ports his own heads. But you said yourself that you have valve train issues. Maybe start there. Springs don't cost that much. What's your performance goal?

I do not mean to criticize, but my thoughts for your situation is to consider what some others on this forum have been able to achieve with the eddies. Tony Santos has regular mid to high 10s, Pittsburgh racer has achieved high 9,s with the Edelbrock head. Seems to me you are nowhere near maxing out the performance of the heads you have because other system on your car are not ideal yet.
I would go over what you have and see if other parts of your combo need to be addressed first. $3,000 is a lot of coin to spend only to get a marginal improvement if any. But I have no first hand experience, and this is just mho.
Talk to Pittsburgh racer, he's a friendly guy and he ports his own heads. But you said yourself that you have valve train issues. Maybe start there. Springs don't cost that much. What's your performance goal?
With a new cam swap springs are getting replaced anyways, but geometry issues we thought were another problem, didn't really pinpoint what exactly was causing the issues but the cheap rockers are getting replaced too. Something was causing the engine not to rpm past 5800. Like hitting a rev limiter. My datalog shows no limiter was being engaged, and definitely not a fuel issue. Valve train did show some wear on the bottom of the shafts and under the springs.
So like I said, I wanted to swap the cam to a big boy cam anyways, and have a nice stable valvetrain done correctly .

Im With j par. a .600 lift cam should have rev past 5800
My hyd roller is only a .550esh cam and it runs out of steam at 5800 but have had it past 6500 before without any valve float(behive Springs)
There was no power up there but it keep climbing(I had the cam built to take advantage of the lower rpm. with my stroker)
Mine was meant to go to sleep at 5800 Your Was Not. Lots of HP left on the table with your valve train. Fix it and you may be happy.
switching from Hyd roller to Mechanical roller will help above 5800 for sure.

I understand that if you have the money...........
Better head, better rocker arm, better valve spring that fit that head and install height............Do it once and and be done with it ......I get that too.

Still tweaking mine, probably should get a converter thats actually built for my car. I'm pretty sure i've posted already. But the combo is pretty close, just haven't run the nitrous yet.
Mag block , scat rotating assy 408ci
Trickflow Heads (12:1 comp with these heads)
Super victor intake
quickfuel 950 brawler
Howards solid roller 257/267 .640/.645 lift
Dynamic converter (built for a different engine) 4500ish
4.30 gears
904 w/ manual valve body
all steel car, minus back seat.
11.6/7's @ 7-8000ft DA no nitrous yet.
No idea what it runs at sea level, haven't made the trek to run it at Sac raceway yet.

[
Wow almost identical to mine except my hydraulic flat tappet and heads.I haven't sprayed mine yet either.
It's crazy how badly altitude hurts ya.

[
Wow almost identical to mine except my hydraulic flat tappet and heads.I haven't sprayed mine yet either.
It's crazy how badly altitude hurts ya.
Seriously. If I can get high 10's at sea level, I think I'll be content for a while. LOL

One thing that seems to be forgotten by some is how much work you will need to do to the edelbrocks to use a solid roller. Assuming the valve job/guides are up to snuff stock rpms have no spring cups/locators (have to be cut for them) and will need the matching parts,locks,retainers,cups,springs. Even then there is the fact that no amount of work will fix the crappy factory rocker geometry they have considering the larger valve springs you will need. I would get your rpm heads flowed,if nothing else its good data to have (and good from a sales point),but if you are serious about a solid roller I would think it would be pretty close to even money to buy the trickflows setup and ready to run vs redoing the edelbrocks.I have my engine running but due to life getting in the way I wont have timeslips for quite a while. What I can say is the rocker geometry is better,the quality is top notch and they are ready to run (although I took mine apart and inspected/cleaned everything).The warranty is also top notch,I had one that had a surface issue and summit sent me a new one immediately (had it in 48 hours) and did not even wait for me to send the old one back,just gave me a call tag and said set it out for ups when you can.

Last edited:
I forgot to add you need to check spring height on the trickflows though,they were not way out in left field but not close enough for me lol.

My 9.70’s are in a car weighing only 2860 so it’s not a heavyweight, not a lite weight. That set of Edelbrock heads has the pushrod in the stock location but I used about ever available millimeter to do it. If this was a test n tune go for a balls out number I sure as heck wouldn’t have a powerglide and 14-32 tires on it. I would have a 904 and 10 inch radials. These 9.70’s were also at Keystone in the Summer. Not some coastal super-track. Bracket cars need repeatability

Last edited:
One thing that seems to be forgotten by some is how much work you will need to do to the edelbrocks to use a solid roller. Assuming the valve job/guides are up to snuff stock rpms have no spring cups/locators (have to be cut for them) and will need the matching parts,locks,retainers,cups,springs. Even then there is the fact that no amount of work will fix the crappy factory rocker geometry they have considering the larger valve springs you will need. I would get your rpm heads flowed,if nothing else its good data to have (and good from a sales point),but if you are serious about a solid roller I would think it would be pretty close to even money to buy the trickflows setup and ready to run vs redoing the edelbrocks.I have my engine running but due to life getting in the way I wont have timeslips for quite a while. What I can say is the rocker geometry is better,the quality is top notch and they are ready to run (although I took mine apart and inspected/cleaned everything).The warranty is also top notch,I had one that had a surface issue and summit sent me a new one immediately (had it in 48 hours) and did not even wait for me to send the old one back,just gave me a call tag and said set it out for ups when you can.
Good info. Thanks!

My 9.70’s are in a car weighing only 2860 so it’s not a heavyweight, not a lite weight. That set of Edelbrock heads has the pushrod in the stock location but I used about ever available millimeter to do it. If this was a test n tune go for a balls out number I sure as heck wouldn’t have a powerglide and 14-32 tires on it. I would have a 904 and 10 inch radials. These 9.70’s were also at Keystone in the Summer. Not some coastal super-track. Bracket cars need repeatability
My point was he's only got 11.60s. The heads have more potential than that from what I have seen.

My point was he's only got 11.60s. The heads have more potential than that from what I have seen.

I agree but many leave a lot on the table to grabs 340 in a 3200 pound Duster will crank out 12.20’s with a 484 purple shaft cam, stock rods, pistons, and crank with slightly polished J heads.

I may be wrong but it seems since the op has to redo things he is just ready to step it up a notch or two. I agree there is more in his combo but I think we have all been in the same place where "it's apart so now's the time to do it instead of tearing it back down later".

I may be wrong but it seems since the op has to redo things he is just ready to step it up a notch or two. I agree there is more in his combo but I think we have all been in the same place where "it's apart so now's the time to do it instead of tearing it back down later".

If there talking about me, the car went 11:60s with issues like I stated before. And your right, if I have the car apart now and I'm upgrading to a bigger solid roller camshaft, I might as well upgrade the next limiting factor. Take advantage of all the combo has to offer.

If there talking about me, the car went 11:60s with issues like I stated before. And your right, if I have the car apart now and I'm upgrading to a bigger solid roller camshaft, I might as well upgrade the next limiting factor. Take advantage of all the combo has to offer.

Yup TRICK FLOW FEVER....
It sounds like you have yourself completely talked into them..

My 202 valve eddy heads that were lightly debured and cleaned up ran 9.87 . Trick flow heads with my same rockers and springs ran 9.78 but that was with a little bigger cam and a 950 carb versus the previous 850. I was hoping for a little more as we all do.was close to 5 k to gain a tenth gets harder to go quicker when these cars get to this point so I will be happy with what I have out of this 340 for next season as is lol

My 202 valve eddy heads that were lightly debured and cleaned up ran 9.87 . Trick flow heads with my same rockers and springs ran 9.78 but that was with a little bigger cam and a 950 carb versus the previous 850. I was hoping for a little more as we all do.was close to 5 k to gain a tenth gets harder to go quicker when these cars get to this point so I will be happy with what I have out of this 340 for next season as is lol
I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not asking you to open your hood at the Mopar Nationals so I could see them. It was like my only chance! Dammit..:BangHead:...

Limiting factor to what? What is your performance goal.
You need to look at your whole car. Not just the motor.
That's what I mean by combo. I don,t buy the newest valve covers on the market just because I have the old ones off.
It has not been proven yet that the trick flow totally out performs
The Edelbrock has it? Just sayin. He'll I'm gonna run the old W2.
Sure there's some heads that beat them now, but at what cost. Law of diminishing returns imho

Last edited:
Not to mention you already have the heads.
There is no sense in getting rid of them in search of a few more cfm.
But yet there is always a person trying to justify dumping what you have for the newest and latest and greatest thing on the market to justify going fast, cost to you be dammed. Oh! And then your an asshole for not doing it and relabeled, “He doesn’t care about going fast” type comments. Following there advice invites snickering comments of how dumb you are, being a spend thrift Mr. Money bags and stupid for chasing the newest thing.

The way I see it, if your going to step away from an Edelbrock head, you might as well do it big and go with a Victor head & really move some air!

Not to mention you already have the heads.
There is no sense in getting rid of them in search of a few more cfm.
But yet there is always a person trying to justify dumping what you have for the newest and latest and greatest thing on the market to justify going fast, cost to you be dammed. Oh! And then your an asshole for not doing it and relabeled, “He doesn’t care about going fast” type comments. Following there advice invites snickering comments of how dumb you are, being a spend thrift Mr. Money bags and stupid for chasing the newest thing.

The way I see it, if your going to step away from an Edelbrock head, you might as well do it big and go with a Victor head & really move some air!
Translation: trick flow fever.....

Limiting factor to what? What is your performance goal.
You need to look at your whole car. Not just the motor.
That's what I mean by combo. I don,t buy the newest valve covers on the market just because I have the old ones off.
It has not been proven yet that the trick flow totally out performs
The Edelbrock has it? Just sayin. He'll I'm gonna run the old W2.
Sure there's some heads that beat them now, but at what cost. Law of diminishing returns imho

What standard port head beats the W2? I've never seen one that will.

What standard port head beats the W2? I've never seen one that will.
I agree, the point that I was trying to make is guys think that if it's made of aluminum and it just came on the market, and has all the latest and greatest, it must be the way to go.

-
Back