Tricks for keeping glass from fogging up racing on cold nights?

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Have heard using shaving cream on windshield will keep it from fogging up. Any experience with that, or other suggestions?
I have had issues seeing out of the car on cold nights racing, might be dealing with it this coming weekend

1696338523603.png

Shows how old I am.

A little glycerin added to the water for cleaning windows or mirrors will prevent them from fogging or steaming up. Winter and bad ventilation are often the main culprits in rendering reflective surfaces opaque.

i used to use a bit of dish soap and water wiped on the inside of my helmet's visor when i was into bikes. stopped it steaming up pretty good and it's cheap :thumbsup:
neil.

i used to use a bit of dish soap and water wiped on the inside of my helmet's visor when i was into bikes. stopped it steaming up pretty good and it's cheap :thumbsup:
neil.

Yes, that sounds like the Scuba Diving mask trick to keep the mask lens from fogging over at depth.

☆☆☆☆☆

Living in SoCal I never have had problems with the windshield fogging while racing at night.
However, one time years ago at OCIR I was wearing a full-face helmet with a shield during nighttime bracket eliminations. Two or three cars back from my next run I brought my hands up to the bottom of my helmet and nervously blew on my hands to warm them up. That immediately fogged up the inside of my helmet face shield!
Luckily it dissipated before I needed to stage.
Sure learned my lesson.

Talking upper 30’s/ low 40’s this weekend at night where I am headed. It’s basically at elevation inside a national forest.
was down there two years ago had issues with windshield fogging up( rest of the glass too) don’t want to get caught unprepared this time if it happens

I carry a moving blanket in the trunk. Throw it on the windshield in staging and back in the pits at night. Sitting in the closed car breathing makes it worst. So I try and keep the door open. I have my ignition box in the glove box area, and the heat from it comes out the defrost vents kinda keeps it clear. Now with the new dash, no vents.

glass. Gonna try the shaving cream trick, and leave all the windows down
only going to be an issue Saturday evening I think.
Shaving cream? Do you use Mazola for motor oil too? Use the stuff in post #2. That's what it was intended for and it works.

You can also stop makin out with the little woman before you race. That'll cut down on some of the fog too.

Have heard using shaving cream on windshield will keep it from fogging up. Any experience with that, or other suggestions?
I have had issues seeing out of the car on cold nights racing, might be dealing with it this coming weekend
Bought this from a booth at mopar nationals in Carlisle PA. Guy had a boiling pot of water by a motorcycle helmet visor. No fog. It’s the truth

1CAC72A1-1969-4429-A704-EEC944397F22.jpeg

OR you could just get the stuff desigined for it. If not, make sure you get somethin that smells good at least. I like green label Barbasol.
With Respect Rob. Fair Warning.

Barbasol -> "One of the most popular shaving creams for men – Gillette, is also one of the most harmful one, along with Nivea Men, Barbasol and many other popular brands packed. These are packed with fragrance, phthalates, SLS and other toxic ingredients that can harm men’s reproductive systems and overall health..."

"
Every time you see the word “fragrance” in your products it’s very likely it contains phthalates. Phthalates are used to make fragrance last longer and can enter the body through the skin, nose and mouth. It’s a well-known carcinogen and endocrine disruptor which has a lot of links to long-term health and reproductive issues in men.

Exposure to phthalates through personal care products can reduce testosterone levels.

A study by the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, found out phthalates can significantly reduce testosterone levels in boys ages 6-12 and men ages 40-60.

Unfortunately, phthalates are not often displayed on labels because fragrance is considered a Trade Secret in the U.S. Meaning that companies aren’t required to display all the ingredients that go into the production of a fragrance – which potentially contains phthalates and hundreds of other harmful ingredients.

So if you see ‘fragrance’ or ‘perfume’— even ‘natural perfume’—on an ingredient list, you should always question what that means."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate -
"Another controversial ingredient is SLS, often found in shaving creams. It makes a great lather, but it also has a number of health implications. SLS can cause skin irritation or trigger allergies.

Men who are frequently exposed to environmental toxins – which many are found in personal care products, can experience a massive drop in both sperm count and sperm motility (ability of the sperm to fertilize an ovum).

SLS can potentially increase the chances of developing cancer, including breast cancer. – No, it isn’t a typo, men can also develop breast cancer, in fact men account for approximately 1% of all breast cancer cases and the numbers are increasing."

@inkjunkie

Good old Turtle Wax with a slightly open side window...Growing up with a VW Beetle in the Canadian Prairie, you needed something to keep the glass clear....A coat of Turtle Wax on the inside of the window prevented fogging allowing you to see where you were going....Good luck!

I had mentioned glycerin way back, cuz it worked for us "back then" - - from a pharmacy for a few cents .
Someone mentioned shave-cream, but it's messy and if you are using Lexan, you will scratch the **** outta it, trying to clear the cream.
You know what, - shave creams ingredient is "glycerin".
My mentor used to say "suit yourself", pronounced "shoot yourself" when I chose an alternate method , he was usually right.
Mind you, - he was never wrong, - even tho he wasn't always right.

Last edited:
-
Back