Trouble with neighbors dog...

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
So this morning I heard a commotion out in the back yard, come to find out one of the neighbors dog broke through their side of the fence ( wooden privacy fence) and charged at my blue heeler and attacked her while my mom was in the back yard watering flowers. I had to chase the dog off, but my dog has always been a back yard dog and has never been in any fights at all, let alone seen many dogs and she seemed to of been taken by surprise when the dog attacked her. The dog ran back into their yard through the hole it made and I nailed up some boards on our side of the fence to keep it out for the time being. The have two dogs that are very aggressive and while I was nailing up the boards both dogs were trying to bite me. I had my mom use my cell phone to video tape their aggression toward me while boarding up the fence.

My question is this, how should I approach them the situation and the aggressiveness of their animals? I don't want to have angry neighbors for saying something wrong, but the line has finally been crossed with their animals. Next time their dog might not come back to their yard alive if something happens again. Anyway has anyone had similar problems?

Okay here is my opinion. I don't believe in hurting an animal...unless it poses a risk to mine/family or my pets safety. If it is after you or your kids or your dog then by all means an aggressive dog needs to be stopped. Now for the legal advice I can give. Try to talk to your neighbors first, tell them they damaged your property and attacked your dog. Try the civil way first. If they are aggressive and unresponsive call the police and get a report. They will then be legally responsible for what happened and they can't say they were unaware. It is damage to private property and you are afraid for your own safety as well as your family and pets.

Contact the neighbors in question and tell them what happened. Show them the video if they don't believe you. If they want to act like their dogs and be aggressive then call the police and go from there. It might be your little daughter or grandaughter next time instead of your dog that they attack. Don't take matters into your own hands before calling the authorities. You might end up shooting more than just the dogs.

It's time for your neighbor to put another short chain link fence up on there side.....
be nice and give them a heads up and let them know that if the dogs bite you or anyone or your dog the law will have to step in and remove these aggressive pair of dogs.
The dogs think it's there fence so I think it would be naturel for them to bark and stay a couple feet away, But if they was trying to get to you I would make this clear to the owner..... His dogs need some people training.....or he could be looking at a big attorney fee.... Just wanted to be neighborly, Here o the hill if a dogs gets on my property and get's just remotely close to the house or Buddy I pump a bird shot in the chamber and if he runs I leave it at that, but if he just looks at me I aim about 30' to the right or left and pull the trigger.... and buddy get's use to having a gun shot around him.

Oh I couldn't shoot the dog, we live inside city limits anyway haha. But my Mom is always scared when she gets near the fence watering because their dogs try to tear up the fence to get through, they bite the fence and pull on it. We are being as civil as possible for many years, but this has gone to far now. Not to mention they have a lil Chihuahua that nips at our heels at times when doing something such as mowing the lawn, it is always out loose in the front yard.

I bought a paintball gun for this reason...and its very amusing watching a pink rottweiler run away lol

Always try to resolve it in person first. Used to be you could splatter an offending animal and not think twice about it. Nowadays, there's a group that thinks animals have more rights than people. The video is a smart move. The more video and pictures you have depicting the animal(s) being aggressive, the better shape you are in, in CASE you have to do something drastic. In Georgia, our law says the property owner has the right to use deadly force against a perceived threat regarding an animal. Perceived by whom? The property owner. Most cities and counties have leash/restraint laws. If the dog can break through the fence, clearly, that restraint is not good enough. If you have small childern or pets of your own, it will not take but a few seconds for something disasterous to happen with an aggressive animal. You need to look out for your own because more than likely, no one else will.

Check your local ordinances.
In my county you can shoot and kill a dog if it is a danger to you or your pets.

If you get caught simply shooting at a dog for being in your property, you can go to jail and get fined big time if it is not posing an immediate threat. (thanks to bleeding heart animal tards who must have never been attacked.)

I would notify the neighbor of the situation and hope they will not act like toothless rednecks that will immediately puff up their chest and call their next of kin for a night vision crossbow a-thon in your back yard to retaliate because their psycho dog is more important than the safety of others in their eyes.....yes there are people like this in the world and usually people that own aggressive dogs like this are total social douchebags.

If they act like asswipes about it then call the local animal control officer and have them come over to talk to the neighbors and make sure you file a report to get it on record.
If they are asswipes about it then expect to have lingering animosity with said neighbors after animal control speaks to them.

My neighbor had an aggressive dog and I recently tried something I never tried before and it really put the dog in it's place and turned it into a scared kitten every time I do this.
The dog would bark like mad when anyone was in my back yard and it would charge the fence as if to kill someone, barking like a friggin rabid demon from hell.
So one day I decided to give it a blast with one of those small sporting event air horns and boy did it scare the living crap out of that dog.
It ran off, tail between legs sideways and crashed into his dog house in a panic. ha, ha, funniest thing I ever saw.

The dog literally was so freaked out that it did not come out of his dog house for 2 days.

Every now and then the dog would start barking like an idiot non stop and I would shoot a quick blast out the window and the dog would immediately STFU.

Now if we are in the back yard and the dog comes around and even hints like it's gonna get agressive I reach into my pocket and the dog runs for it's life...ha, ha.

Can't say this will work for every dog but it works well on the neighbors idiot pitt bull.

the horn is a great idea . A boat horn would really do the job . Or just hook one up to your
air compressor with around 140 psi...lol

My neighbor has thanked me for running his two male dogs back on to his property, he lets them run lose and they have jumped Socket one time while he was on a leash and one of them got a big tear on the back of his neck that Socket did tearing into one of them, I went straight to his house and told him that I keep my dogs on my property and his has the run of the damned county, he said he has had many complaints and said he will keep a closer eye on them, Thay are part lab brothers about 5 years old, I told him I will not shoot them but when I see them cross the fence I will fire a shot to worn them...
He said PLEASE do. They have not crossed the fence in two years know and buddy lets me know when they are walking there fence line and all I have to do is open the door and they get back toward the house and land over 60 Akers (how ever you spell it).... I would not shoot a dog unless he/she is on an attack mode and doing it on my property (stalking) and the law here in the county clearly states all animals are to be leashed... I lived in the city limits maybe 4 years in my hole life and I don't mind seeing dogs running or walking around, But if it is a dog I have never seen I will watch him like a hawk and see what his intention are.
The folks across the road has a small dog that comes over and does not harm anything, but when he gets with in 40 yard of the house my little Boogy 12 year old maltez enjoys stepping out on the front porch and barks and runs it off, she struts back in the house like a bull dog with her head held high and we laugh at her.
I love animal's very much, but they need to be put in there place when needed buy there owners... Yes a good scolding shows a dog you care..
Dogs are some times smarter then there owners and the dogs get there way and this is bad practice, the owner of these dogs should be spending a 1/2 hour outside in the back yard with them while you are mowing or doing anything and make them understand this is BAD wrong....:angry4:
If they don't these animals may hurt or even worse if they can not control them.. You may be saving the life of another buy doing something now, an attacking bully dog needs to be put in it's place and it can be dun in just a short time, sounds like to me these dogs are not getting any attention myself and all they want to do is terrorize. they need to get out and around other people and animals and on a leash, talked to and made to respect.. It can be dun, even old dogs can learn with a little one on one time and work...
depending on there past just how hard it will be.

thanks y'all. Talked to the neighbor when they got home finally and the lady was sympathetic and felt bad about it. I was as nice as I could be about the situation and she was going to try and fix the problem with her dogs.

So, she must be going to buy a 12 ga. And some buckshot?....lmfao

make a report to the police now...so it is on record...if the dogs are tearing at the fence to get thru at your mom somebody besides you and the neighbours should know.

I wait until the dogs are far away and shoot them in the *** with my pellet gun. It's too far to break skin, and they think it's a bee. I agree, however. You have to talk to the neighbors first. Give them the opportunity to do the right thing. You might be surprised.

Hey Dart, next time you go to a gun show, check out the small personal tazers... There's a Chinese brand that sells like hot cakes and they've got a good 50,000 volts on tap. In fact, when it fires, it will scare the sh_t out of anybody within 15 ft of it. It's funny to watch.

You won't have to actually use it, but I can tell you that when that thing "cracks" they will high tail it outta your "space". Of course, it the dog was aggressive enough, I'd just tap him on the snoot, which would probably make him sh_t himself...as he vacates my space. Plus, since they're legal, you won't get in any trouble over it.

Another option is a bottle of Ammonia. Hose 'em in the snoot with a shot of that stuff and they''l be looking for an exit strategy. I used to use that when a neighbors Rotty would try to separate me from my motorcycles when cruising thru the neighborhood. After you hit 'em the first time, all you have to do is hold your hand out like you're going to do it again, and they "remember".

Southernman

Check your local ordinances.
In my county you can shoot and kill a dog if it is a danger to you or your pets.

If you get caught simply shooting at a dog for being in your property, you can go to jail and get fined big time if it is not posing an immediate threat. (thanks to bleeding heart animal tards who must have never been attacked.)

I would notify the neighbor of the situation and hope they will not act like toothless rednecks that will immediately puff up their chest and call their next of kin for a night vision crossbow a-thon in your back yard to retaliate because their psycho dog is more important than the safety of others in their eyes.....yes there are people like this in the world and usually people that own aggressive dogs like this are total social douchebags.

If they act like asswipes about it then call the local animal control officer and have them come over to talk to the neighbors and make sure you file a report to get it on record.
If they are asswipes about it then expect to have lingering animosity with said neighbors after animal control speaks to them.

My neighbor had an aggressive dog and I recently tried something I never tried before and it really put the dog in it's place and turned it into a scared kitten every time I do this.
The dog would bark like mad when anyone was in my back yard and it would charge the fence as if to kill someone, barking like a friggin rabid demon from hell.
So one day I decided to give it a blast with one of those small sporting event air horns and boy did it scare the living crap out of that dog.
It ran off, tail between legs sideways and crashed into his dog house in a panic. ha, ha, funniest thing I ever saw.

The dog literally was so freaked out that it did not come out of his dog house for 2 days.

Every now and then the dog would start barking like an idiot non stop and I would shoot a quick blast out the window and the dog would immediately STFU.

Now if we are in the back yard and the dog comes around and even hints like it's gonna get agressive I reach into my pocket and the dog runs for it's life...ha, ha.

Can't say this will work for every dog but it works well on the neighbors idiot pitt bull.

'spaz, that's awesome. I'm gonna have to try this with the neighbors' dogs...:snakeman:

God gave man dominion over the fishes and everything else.
The police are civil servants serving civilians.
You dont have a problem with a human ( neighbor ) . It's a dog. No different from a bear or a rat. You have a God given right to kill it, eat it, whatever, if necessary.
The animal rights activists wont agree with me.
I have to add that Spaz found a method to exercise his dominion in a acceptable fashion. So long as he doesn't torment the animal for giggles, whatever works.

Id give them a lil blast of pepper spray while i walked the fence line with them barking away...Pellet gun works wonders...

If that were my yard and my daughter were attacked it would be a rough scene for there dog. We have a very similar situation. A very aggressive dog has broken the fence on all sides. complaints were made, but no resolution. We even tried introducing there dog and ours, and in a freindly setting (neutral ground down the road) it still attacked my big dog.

Hopefully your neighbor gets it under control before a kid is the next victim.

God gave man dominion over the fishes and everything else.
The police are civil servants serving civilians.
You dont have a problem with a human ( neighbor ) . It's a dog. No different from a bear or a rat. You have a God given right to kill it, eat it, whatever, if necessary.
The animal rights activists wont agree with me.
I have to add that Spaz found a method to exercise his dominion in a acceptable fashion. So long as he doesn't torment the animal for giggles, whatever works.

You are incorrect. It's a pet, not a wild animal and the neighbors are legally responible for that pet. No one is responsible for a wild bear or rat. If the neighbors don't get control of their dogs they can get fined, go to jail and their animals could get killed.

God does not give you the right to kill and eat your nieghbors pets as they the legal property of the aformentioned owner. God gives you the right to defend yourself against any and all threats, animal, human or otherwise.

Having said this I would not hesitate to use my .45 on a dog that broke through or jumped over my fence and attacked myself, friends, family or dogs although detterents like ammonia, pepper spray, pb guns or the like would work as well. If my dogs got loose and got shot it would totally suck, but it would be nobody's fault but my own.

Blasting pepper spray through a fence at a barking dog is illegal in this state. If I caught someone shooting pepper spray through my fence I'd shove that can of spray up their *** and give it a blast.

I dont care what species of creature my fellow man chooses to pet.
If it conflicts with my happiness or well being in this life I will exercise my domain in whatever manner I choose.
Sure I have a dog and I pet her. I can promise she wont cause me, you, or anyone else any grief. If she did I would expect her to quickly realize our dominion even if it resulted in her death.

-
Back