Trouble with window trim clips

-

71Twister1owner

I've attached two close ups that might show the clip better. I let Friday get past me (at work) without getting to call the company that was recommended. I loosened a clip and there is no slop to move clip around. Best I can do is to bend clips if I figure out the desired "tilt". I may not be able to remove and replace some of the screws - some seem to be blocked more than others by the gasket.

Original message.

My 71 Duster was just repainted and clips around windshield were replaced with what appeared to be the same as the original clips. The trim doesn't want to snap into place. A local windshield shop looked and said that, possibly, the screw heads were too big. I would have to do some homework to find where I bought the new clips.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and can recommend a solution. I have a bad feeling that I'm going to have to have the windshield pulled and a different set of clips installed.

Attachments

• window trim.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN4531.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN4535.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 160
RT specialties is the shizznit.. They bailed me out with my Dart several times.. If you need clips, they're the ones to go to

Nice looking ride by the way!

I had the same issue with my screws.

All I had to do was beat the living crap out of them to get them to snap into place, but I don't see why you can't install flat head tapered sheet metal screws instead of the supplied rounded head ones.

Those clips are somewhat slotted. You should be able to loosen the screw a bit and slide the clip up even with the outer edge then the trim will snap right in.

The correct screws should come with the clips when purchased. Its a #8 screw with a smaller #6 screw head. Typical #8 screws wont work for the reason you've discovered.

The correct screws should come with the clips when purchased. Its a #8 screw with a smaller #6 screw head. Typical #8 screws wont work for the reason you've discovered.

Good point! Mine did come with the correct screws.

Please note that I've added two close-ups of a clip. Also note that there is not a slot to allow me to shift clips in any direction. I'll try to call RT specialties next week - didn't get a chance yesterday.

Can the screws be removed and replaced with smaller screws without pulling the windows? I talked to someone at RT Specialties today and he felt that it is possible that the screw heads holding my clips on are too big.

I know it's a tight squeeze, but did you try one of those bent/angle screwdrivers?

A long thin shank screw driver will get you there. You'll have to buy the correct screws or buy #8 standard locally in stainless and machine the heads down to the $6 screw head deminsions.

-
Back