True car people are becoming a thing of the past

-
I'm closing in on 67 yrs old. I want to sell my last B'cuda and leave the old car hobby in my memories. I'm not physically able to get the car prepped to sell. We truly enjoyed it when we were younger but going to a show or cruise-in isn't appealing at all today.

I say that because I used to be able to talk car with quite a few guys at work. These days at my current job there is no one. Although I have had two young guys approach me wanting to learn about cars and I even sold a Valiant to one, but they are young and do not carry meaningful car conversations. There really is no where for them to learn. The old auto school I went to is now closed off and most of the equipment is in urban decay mode, the old race track is now closed. All the old machine shops are closed and most of the old timer machinists have moved on to the salvage yards in the sky. All of the old salvage yards are either shut down and torn down or have been converted to a ten year or newer pick a part. I went to insure my valiant the other day (new daily driver) hardly any of the insurance companies want to insure any car before 1981. Only one classic car company will insure it with no miliage or other restrictions. Hagerty has their nerve to tell how us how many miles we can drive and control when and where we drive. Not trying to get political here, in fact please don't, just pointing out how much the world has changed.

Car shows are a complete waste of time these days, they look like dodge dealership parking lots and the old cars that used to be regulars are gone.
It's been a great 20 year run that I have been into old mopars but it's just not the same anymore even though I won't stop driving the valiant or dart any time soon.

Here's to the "good ol days" (pretty much anytime before covid)
Please do not take this wrong. I do not mean anything sexist at all, but I think it is awesome that we have several ladies on this forum that are certified gearheads. I have never known a woman who had any interest in cars other than liking her husband's car. You make our hobby and this forum better.

I lived in Missouri 37 years and moved to S E Tx. 7 years ago. Mo. has/had 3 car plants of the big three and it is an old car hobby state. Tx. is a pickup state and as usual big on GM. Yea big state and lots of population and has an old car hobby like anywhere, but the contrast between the two states to me is considerable. Everything in Tx costs more when buying... but funny how it is always cheaper when selling! Tx. in general has much higher per capita income than Mo. but average type collector cars sell quicker in Mo.

Back in Mo. you paid a few $ for an antique tag good forever. No property tax unless you just want to pay it. If so just a few $. Here you get a 5 year antique tag with property tax prorated over that 5 years plus the high cost of the tag plus have to have inspection. So I just pay for collector car insurance. Mo. antique tag is a little outdated and drive it here in the sticks! Go figure?

@harrisonm Back in the 90s I bought a 68 ( or was it 69?) Vette, 427 4 speed car but just the lowly 4 bbl engine not the 3 deuce deal. Yea we replaced the fenders and interior and did all the paint. I went to Blomington once just to see the dog an pony show. I learned real quick not to mention my lowly 427 4 bbl Vette, IF I had a strait six AMC Hornet I would not have been more LOWLY!!!! BUT I have a straight six Hornet right now!!!! :BangHead: :rofl:

It’s not just car people. It’s small mom & pop farmers, plumbers, electricians, book stores, etc, the list is growing day by day. Most of the kids in their 20’s are worthless and not making a mark to make the world a better place…

I agree. I used to be into Corvettes. I did a cosmetic restoration on a 66 vert and a frame off on a 65 Factory AC vert (why did I sell that one"). I will never forget going to an all Corvette show and watching the Best of Show award going to an 85 (I think) Vette. Yes, he did do an amazing job detailing it, but come on. He literally drove it home, detailed it and brought it to the show. People were really pissed when that was announced. You should have heard the groans and booing.
A related story. After a 3 year frame off on the 65, it looked AMAZING. I took it to a car show sponsored by the Arkansas Street Rodders club. I was stationed at Little Rock AFB at the time. There was a Corvette category and only 3 cars. Mine (which looked like a brand new car), a 66 vert that was just a nice driver, and a 66 coupe that was fairly rough. The other two cars belonged to club members, and they got first and second place. I walked off and told them to keep their third place trophy. I realize that we should go to car shows for the fun of it and not worry about trophies, but that was SO in my face I just walked away. Interestingly, a reporter from the Arkansas Gazette was there. He liked my car and was so impressed that I did all my own work that he scheduled a photo shoot with me and gave it a whole page in an upcoming Sunday paper.

club members putting in the show should not be allowed to get an award.

I am from australia and the scene died out way before Covid, one of our main streets in melbourne every sat night would be bumper to bumper, muscle and serious rice burners all doing laps. Now its tumble weeds blowing down it. Goverment killed it but also just the scene turning on each other killed it as well.
Plenty young guys into cars just different scene, chrome bumpers becoming a bit of a boomer scene. Jesus on a duster fb page i see people saying 73+ is rubbish 71 and 71 only real duster. They think stock look with cragars the only way to do it. I posted a pic of my wheels and told they shouldnt be on a duster bla bla.
So you will find lot of the older guys turn younger guys off the scene.
I have a 1998 ss holden ute,, 355 stroker and new paint. When i park up with my chrome bumper mates people take more pics of that than the old cars, as relate to it as they grew up with them. The scene is shifting, put a tune and few mods in a golf and have 400+ hp. Chrome bumpers are ridiculously expensive so becoming unafordable.

We have a decent tuner crowd around my parts. I personally don't get it. But my dad didn't like my muscle cars. Called then "Noise makers."

To each their own I guess.

Pictures please!
Hahah no worries, was my work ute then turned it into a weekend. Its an 1998 ss ute 1 of 300 as first year thye made the ss in a ute, 355 stroker 410hp, walkinshaw twin throttle manifold (used on the v8 super cars of the day) big brakes, 4l60e with all the fruit, custom stall, coil overs, eaton tru trac diff and 4.11s does a mid 12 quarter but was built as a daily driver originaly.

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_8071.jpg

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8169.JPG

Hahah no worries, was my work ute then turned it into a weekend. Its an 1998 ss ute 1 of 300 as first year thye made the ss in a ute, 355 stroker 410hp, walkinshaw twin throttle manifold (used on the v8 super cars of the day) big brakes, 4l60e with all the fruit, custom stall, coil overs, eaton tru trac diff and 4.11s does a mid 12 quarter but was built as a daily driver originaly.

View attachment 1716189606

View attachment 1716189607

View attachment 1716189608

View attachment 1716189609

View attachment 1716189610
Thanks, that's sweet! I can't get enough of it.

Car shows are a joke. It angers me to watch a new challenger off the showroom getting a trophy. I mean, wtf did they do other than buy a new car? But hey, I got a second place for a car I spent 10 years building.
As a man that has judged a few car shows, I agree in part.
The new cars with zero modifications that show up at our show get scored on their rarity. The Hellcats and Demons did well. Also, one has to look at how the modifications improve on the original design. Blinged out ghetto sleds are often not even considered by me when a tastefully done, less modified one sits next to it.
Regarding the original topic….
She has a point.
I am a lifer. I’ll do this until I’m planted but I too have seen a drop off in the fellow enthusiasts. Guys I knew that liked these cars either got old, decrepit, sold out or turned gay.
(Kidding on the last one)
I used to have contact with a few guys that would come by my place when I was on a project. It used to be that you could count on at least three guys to assist on an engine swap. I recall those 12 hour marathon sessions with pizza and jokes, guys razzing each other and telling jokes. It really was like that.
There are young guys in the hobby but these cars can’t be bought with a months wages of low paying jobs.
I bought my first Charger in 2000 for $1700 and got to drive it for a year before swapping in a 440.
That stupid movie franchise spiked the value of those cars, driving other Mopars up with it. Few guys under 30 can afford a $20,000 project that needs everything.

Last edited:
I have to add that I sold my 75 Dart Sport in October, and it was a guy in his 30s that bought it. His father in law is a big time Mopar freak and turned him on to the scene. The buyer is a computer programmer who works for a provincial government department, he was really excited about it, they drove some 6 hours one way to pick it up, then turned around and drove back.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's sweet! I can't get enough of it.
Haha thanks mate, in the process of building my duster hopefully to same kind of level. Love working on oldies its just a big meccano set. The ute had me more worried as even tho 98 model a lot of electrics etc

In 1986 when I was 14 years old the thing to have was a Plymouth Duster 340....I got a Chevelle smh..in 1990 got a 1972 orange Hcode demon and never looked back..could get a duster body for $50 back then....I paid $750 for running demon 340...yeah they all needed suspension work...but they pulled hard...way past the chevys or 5.0's....seemed like it was on ice hence 3.55 sure grip. Been sick with moparidous since then...have bout 1000 magazines from 70's and 80's and 90's...I was on a mission to purchase used parts and stored them everywhere (bad idea)miss the spirit of the old swap meets....things just aren't the same

.... The young guys fueling up don't even notice another car. I have noticed that young girls show much more interest than young guys. If I get a comment on one of my cars these days it is usually some young girl says ,"I like your car.", "That's a pretty car.", "Cool car...sounds good too.", etc but that's as far as their interest goes.

This I can confirm...for central Europe.....sometimes I'm parking near a local high school, young girls show much more interest.
Why? I have no idea...

Well, you can certainly look around and easily find examples of what @Princess Valiant is talking about. A lot of today's kids have ZERO interest in anything trade wise. Just look at most of your public schools now. It's rare to see any of them with any type of shop classes anymore. I graduated in 1983 and ours was the last to have shop class then. They vacated the building and levelled it, because The Medical Center of Central Georgia bought the property to expand the ever metastisizing hospital. So Bibb County hasn't had shop classes in all that time. We live in neighboring Jones County now and their shop classes went belly up about 2008 or so. Sad, really. The interest in becoming any type of skilled labor is simply going away.

The interest in becoming any type of skilled labor is simply going away.

totally the school admin, counselors and mostly parents fault. they all push college like crazy. not that college is bad in all cases but all too often they will drag kids in and put them is classes that are useless. they only want the money. they don't care if the kid can find a job after graduation as long as they got their money. parents are scared to death of little johnny getting a manual labor job too. the kids you are talking about are that way because of their parents.

totally the school admin, counselors and mostly parents fault. they all push college like crazy. not that college is bad in all cases but all too often they will drag kids in and put them is classes that are useless. they only want the money. they don't care if the kid can find a job after graduation as long as they got their money. parents are scared to death of little johnny getting a manual labor job too. the kids you are talking about are that way because of their parents.
No doubt the parents play a huge role, but a lot of them simply want to play video games the rest of their lives.

How many parents bought their kid a new car back in the day? Pretty common now. The college parking lot is full of 85 to 100,00 dollar cars. Not much incentive to learn about or work on one of those!

My stepson is 30 and worked his way thru college and with scholarships graduated 6 years ago with his masters in Ag business/education and his student loan is almost paid off, but he never stopped paying on it either. He taught HS ag 5 years before his current position in administration. He enjoyed teaching, the kids but the parents involvment with the FFA drove him away as it does so many. Basically he handles 70 schools in his district involving the state /fed $ that goes to HS vocational courses. Tx. is big on HS ag/FFa and all tech training. Everything from ag to all manner of tech be it auto to HVAC and all in between. Schools sometimes tend to divert funding to sports that was slated for tech courses!!!

I really beleive there is or will be a resurgence in vocational educaion/classes and HS and beyond. People are seeing the college and their student loan cashcow or what it really is. A windfall for the university and a huge drain on the kid too stupid to pay the $ for a meanful degree. The US today is mostly a service based economy. We sent most all manu. to China. Ag is mostly what we produce and OIL. UNless the green gov ment kills it off, we will eat, drive, heat our homes and did I mention EAT!?

Last edited:
-
Back