Trunk lid alignment

-

Greasyfingers

Reaction score
I installed the trunk seal on my 66 barracuda yesterday and after it letting it dry overnight the trunk wouldn't latch. This is the first time in 30 years that it has a good trunk seal, so I'm sure it's a out of alignment.

I tried adjusting the latch to make it at least latch, but now the drivers side is now sitting higher than the passenger side. The gaps are even side to side and along the top.

Looking at the hinges, I can't see how loosening upper or lower bolts will affect the hight of that side. What am I mentally blocking out to get this aligned correctly?
Unfortunately, my old service manual isn't in the best shape and missing a lot of pages.
Thanks,
Aaron

I installed the trunk seal on my 66 barracuda yesterday and after it letting it dry overnight the trunk wouldn't latch. This is the first time in 30 years that it has a good trunk seal, so I'm sure it's a out of alignment.

I tried adjusting the latch to make it at least latch, but now the drivers side is now sitting higher than the passenger side. The gaps are even side to side and along the top.

Looking at the hinges, I can't see how loosening upper or lower bolts will affect the hight of that side. What am I mentally blocking out to get this aligned correctly?
Unfortunately, my old service manual isn't in the best shape and missing a lot of pages.
Thanks,
Aaron
upload_2020-4-26_21-46-31.png
upload_2020-4-26_21-48-57.png

New seals typically need time to compress with the lid closed.

I'll adjust the latch back where it was and try to get the lid to latch closed. It's a good thing I marked the latch before I moved it.
The adjustment procedure looks like it will only adjust the gaps around the lid and not the height.

I will say two things. First, @Alaskan_TA is right. the new seal is definitely 'fatter' than the old one. If you adjust the latch so that it closes, but is a little lose, the seal will wear in, and you can tighten the seal down after a time. Second, I don't know about 66, but the decklid seal on my 69 FB would go on one of either two ways. I chose poorly. No matter what I did, the decklid would not close. I got a new seal and installed it properly. Problem solved.

I installed new door seals on my beater Mazda and had the slam that door shut so hard I thought I'd brake the glass. It never 'settled in'. I guess the new material is not what they used in 1982. Good luck. I think it should almost close itself with just a little help.

The seal I got could only be installed one way. It has a rolled piece to cover the edge around the top and sides of the trunk opening.

I'll adjust the latch back where it was and try to get the lid to latch closed. It's a good thing I marked the latch before I moved it.
The adjustment procedure looks like it will only adjust the gaps around the lid and not the height.

Loosen the high side hinge to lid bolts.
Press down on the high corner while lifting up the lid out by the bumper end.
Snug the bolts and check it.

It sucks to have to put your hands on the car to do this but once the lid is adjusted and latching press down on the lid when you unlatch it.
This will make it easier for the latch to open and lessens the risk of snapping part of the keylock to actual latch parts off.
If that happens you either have to take the back seat out and crawl through to open it, or drill the lock.
HINT:
They both suck.:D

Last edited:

Thanks,
Aaron

I didnt read all the posts , I went thru the same thing. Dont mess w/ the himges ''if'' the gaps are right , grab the corners of the trunk lid while its open/up , and try to twist it in the directiuon to level it out . a couple of healthy pushing and pulling will bring it to where you want it , use common sense , dont godzilla it to start with, worked for me after the paint booth .

Did the twist on the lid tonight and adjusted the latch to where it took a bit of force to latch it. It's better, so I'll leave it be for awhile than go back and adjust the latch a little more.
Thanks for the tips.
Aaron

Did the twist on the lid tonight and adjusted the latch to where it took a bit of force to latch it. It's better, so I'll leave it be for awhile than go back and adjust the latch a little more.
Thanks for the tips.
Aaron

cool----

-
Back