Trunk lid tension help

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Got a couple questions.

is there any adjustment in the tension for the trunk lid hinges?

reason I ask is......now that I installed my go wing spoiler on my duster it barely wants to stay open on its own.

so I was curious if anyone knew if there was a way to adjust the tension to make up for the added weight on the deck lid with the spoiler.

Thanks in advance.

Go in the trunk and move the torsion bars 1 notch tighter and check the tension.
Keep doing it until it doesn't fall down.

Trunk1.jpg

Agreed; however, when he says go "in" the trunk, he really means go "in" the trunk. You need to get in the trunk and pull the deck lid down all the way to remove as much tension as you can. Keep someone nearby to let you out if the latch catches - or disable it somehow (maybe a rag over the latch.) My son had to use a crowbar to pry the tension rod out of the hole and work it into the next hole.

Agreed; however, when he says go "in" the trunk, he really means go "in" the trunk. You need to get in the trunk and pull the deck lid down all the way to remove as much tension as you can. Keep someone nearby to let you out if the latch catches - or disable it somehow (maybe a rag over the latch.) My son had to use a crowbar to pry the tension rod out of the hole and work it into the next hole.

That would be funny as hell! Stuck in the trunk! Well, maybe funny to everybody else but the stuckee. I am going with a go wing soon as well, but my sport has a latched access to the inside of the vehicle so I should be safe. :)

HAHAHA

thanks guys for the quick response. I was hoping there was an "easy" solution....I just had not had a chance to look in the trunk and see for myself...so I figured I would ask fabo.

I should have no problem doing it myself.....you can use a screw driver to access the reverse side of the trunk latch in these cars...so even if it locked on me...Ill just make sure to have a screw driver handy lol.

thanks again guys.

And yellowdartdave....thanks for taking the time to snag me a picture of it so I would know what you were talking about! I appreciate it.

It's actually the other way around. When the lid is open all the way, that is when it has the least tension on it. Use a broom stick (or similar) to hold the lid up. Then I use two BIG screw drivers to pry the torsion bar out of one hole and into another. One for the tension and the other to move the bar over. Pull the plastic guide off first so it doesn't get lost. When you reinstall it, use a different surface to ride on. Just be carefull you don't damage the brackets where the torsion bars pivot.

It's actually the other way around.
Come to think of it... that was over five years ago when we did that... and it does make more sense. The torsion bars are there to help lift the deck lid and keep it from sagging downward - more tension the lower it goes. No wonder we had such a difficult time adjusting it. What can I say - it was our first project car and we had no clue what we were doing.

Thanks for clearing that up...

-
Back