trunk seal install

-
My trunk seal install pic from 3-20-09 just after I posted in this thread.

Clothespins & 3M snot worked & still looks great 7 years later!! haha :)

demon-trunk-seal-jpg.1714883529

Demon Trunk Seal.jpg

I did just peel mine off a couple of months ago when I started my rework and should be re glueing it in a couple of weeks lol !

I just did mine. Black 3m and clothes hangers on sides and top. I found blue tape best for the bottom. As stated earlier, start in the middle bottom even with key hole. I laid 8" of adhesive at a time on paint, small amount, do not try to put too much as it will get everywhere. a little goes a long way. just make sure no gaps. lay the gasket around the trunk space before you start as otherwise it will slide off and you will have glue everywhere.

trunk seal 28-1.jpg

My trunk seal install pic from 3-20-09 just after I posted in this thread.

Clothespins & 3M snot worked & still looks great 7 years later!! haha :)

That's a great idea!

Black 3m adhesive and patience. only do about 8" at a time as once the adhesive is on it is slippery. a little goes a long way, only put a small straight line on car, not gasket, and then lay gasket on adhesive. clamp with clothes pin. I found blue tape best on bottom. as stated earlier, start right above the keyhole on the bottom track.

trunk seal 30-1.jpg

I finished mine last night. Only had the yellow cement have a little to clean up but it's on there solid. :blob:

trunk seal 32-1.jpg

Nope your trying to get the compression seal on the outside to keep water from entering in the first place , backwards like that gives it a ramp in and air pressure can push it past like a one way flapper valve , the other way around the air pressure on the molded "V" forces it open creating more seal pressure .
PS be real careful with the adhesive it eats modern paints .

This is a great thread, old or not ;) I'm just now putting the trunk lid and new seal on my freshly-painted Dart body.
And this is why I always do my homework before diving in and making a huge mess... I thought the seal went on the lip outside of the gutter, not the inside edge :rolleyes:

My old 69 DART comes to life once again,glad i started it,and glad there was so much help from you all.

I checked out this thread, before I started to installed my trunk seal lip on, found most of the installers were using clamps and tape. If you are using a cement type of adhesive such as 3M black super, or others. Use the lift and press method of installing weather stripping much quicker and alignment is straight. No clamps no waiting to dry, gently lift ( not pull ) the seal up several times depending on the amount of cement used, the air will dry the cement quicker. Clamps may have the tendency of letting the weather stripping shift while trying to air dry....which takes much longer.

IMG_3332.JPG

I just did mine and following the instructions on the 3M Black adhesive, I applied a thin layer to both surfaces and gave it about 2 minutes to get good and tacky, then pressed them together firmly. No clamps or tape needed and they locked into place almost instantly. Did a foot or two at a time.

IMG_20190503_172237478.jpg

-
Back