Trying to be realistic

-

Reaction score
440 engine, mild build, definitely not wild, good torque cam, good cast iron heads, 750 Edelbrock/aluminum intake, good internals/balanced ect,no high RPMS needed...... nothing exotic but not lame stock.

Id like to run my stock truck cast iron manifolds, I have a set that are NOS and no issues, the look is just fine for me and will be even better once I get them ceramic coated, I can buy a set of headers at about a grand all done but I dont want to just piss away money.

I can see where a set of headers on a high revving engine can expel the exhaust that much quicker and how thats needed on a high RPM engine but mine is gonna see 5000 and down 95% of the time and the only time it would ever see above that is if I decided to get stupid which prob. isnt gonna happen.

On the same token I dont want to put a big cork in my engine. What do you all think?

I would run it since it is a mild engine and a stoplight tire shredder,

IMO one of the single things that anyone can do to improve performance in a BB is to include headers . BB iron manifolds are notoriously restrictive and heavy . Gains of 35 h.p. are not uncommon . Are they expensive ? Yes . But, it's about the best bang for your buck out there . Later, Tom

I have a set of chrome Schumacer Tri Y's, brand new. I was going to use them in my 440 Demon build but went with a 426 Hemi. 500.00
+ shipping. (what a way ti hijack a thread)

Ceramic coating manifolds is closer to pissing money away than buying decent headers.

You talk about "lame stock" but at the moment, you're describing building something mighty close to that.

Engines internals will gain you nothing on this build unless you're trying to make this mill last forever. Instead, define what you want it to do, and work backwards from there to get it to meet that goal. Internals are more for reliability at a certain power point, and you're far from that.

I have a set of chrome Schumacer Tri Y's, brand new. I was going to use them in my 440 Demon build but went with a 426 Hemi. 500.00
+ shipping. (what a way ti hijack a thread)

I should have mentioned that the engine is going in a 4 wheel drive truck so I dont think your headers would work, Im really limited on what does.

Ceramic coating manifolds is closer to pissing money away than buying decent headers.

You talk about "lame stock" but at the moment, you're describing building something mighty close to that.

Engines internals will gain you nothing on this build unless you're trying to make this mill last forever. Instead, define what you want it to do, and work backwards from there to get it to meet that goal. Internals are more for reliability at a certain power point, and you're far from that.

A decent sounding/performing truck that is reliable is exactly what I am after. I cant think of anything Ive seen on a Mopar that didnt look cool stock just the way it was originally. They had it right back then in every way.

I should have mentioned that the engine is going in a 4 wheel drive truck so I dont think your headers would work, Im really limited on what does.

A decent sounding/performing truck that is reliable is exactly what I am after. I cant think of anything Ive seen on a Mopar that didnt look cool stock just the way it was originally. They had it right back then in every way.
Fair enough. There's a high likelihood that I didn't understand your goals, or the question.

They make decent, cheap headers for trucks. 440 included.

Flowtech Standard Header 13504FLT: Advance Auto Parts

Hooker Headers Competition Header 5905HKR: Advance Auto Parts

https://www.summitracing.com/search...2+4294951331+4294947851+4294948820+4294945642

200~ aint bad for a set of headers.

You'll be fine with the stock manifolds. Cheap headers will likely leak and certainly more likely than your manifolds leaking.

My truck's a smallblock but it's got cheapie headers. On its second set after 10 years. It's a worker - plow, trailer, woods, etc. I love the sound of 3/4 throttle pushing an 8' blade up the incline on my driveway. Personally I'd do headers and don;t look back. The truck manifolds suck, and headers will give you a lot more torque from idle until whenever. I rarely get past 4200, and it's mostly under 3K. I have a mild cam, ignition, 4bbl and intake, etc. Even on a stock engine headers will give power and economy boosts.

Back in 1995 a coworker and I both bought new Ram trucks. He complained constantly of terrible gas mileage from the 5.2 in a 4wd 1500. We put headers and a K&N air filter on the beast, to gain 2 mpg and he didn't grouch so much.

440 engine, mild build, definitely not wild, good torque cam, good cast iron heads, 750 Edelbrock/aluminum intake, good internals/balanced ect,no high RPMS needed...... nothing exotic but not lame stock.

Id like to run my stock truck cast iron manifolds, I have a set that are NOS and no issues, the look is just fine for me and will be even better once I get them ceramic coated, I can buy a set of headers at about a grand all done but I dont want to just piss away money.

I can see where a set of headers on a high revving engine can expel the exhaust that much quicker and how thats needed on a high RPM engine but mine is gonna see 5000 and down 95% of the time and the only time it would ever see above that is if I decided to get stupid which prob. isnt gonna happen.

On the same token I dont want to put a big cork in my engine. What do you all think?

first off, 440's take a ton of cam and head work to make power in high RPMS. My car has ported heads and a [email protected] solid cam, 2" headers and a 950 carb. It makes peak power at 5800. When it had an 825 and 1.875" headers it peaked at 5600. It makes 450ftlbs at the wheels at 3500 and at 2500 it makes over 400hp and over 400ft./lbs. Hardly a high RPM race car.

If you want to run manifolds that's fine. they are reliable but harder to make power with. Perhaps try to find a cam with split duration to hold the exhaust valves open a little longer to compensate. Ceramic coating manifolds is a waste. I personally run headers on my daily drivers. I put 100,000 miles on a set of headers on my F150. Some of my care have come with factory stainless headers. I.e Audi, BMW. The euros are way ahead of us.

Headers are not just for high RPM power.

-
Back