Trying to figure out a plan of attack on my new toy

-
Looks like an A-body keeper to me. I know decode and plotting history is important and interesting. But your vision of its future is what's paramount. If car originally was setup to accommodate a big block? I would travel that road. Just my opinion of course.

Why can't it have a 360 intake and 2bbl? Seems just as reasonable that someone would swap a running 360 2bbl in rather than a 360 long block and use the 318 intake and carb.

If it is a matching 360 intake and carb, makes sense to just getting running and worry about the 4bbl until later.

Just a though.

360 2bbl manifolds used a different carb pad and a bigger 2bbl than a 318.
The 318 2bbl doesn’t bolt on.

Actually, looking through some catalogs, it appears as though there may have been some 360’s that used the “small” 2bbl in 1980.
Which is about the year they used 051 heads....... so that stuff might all be “correct” together.

All the 360-2bbl intakes I’ve seen used the bigger carb, and had “360” sized ports.

SHES ALIVE!!!!! i made sure the battery was charged and cranked it a bit and BAMMMM it came to life....she is loud and she is leaky...i have several leaks i need to address below but hopefully it is minor...probably need to address the motor mounts also...saw this on the driver side...trying to find a pic of how this is suppose to look so i can figure out what is missing

20220315_182411.jpg

Last edited:
also saw this on the carb after it ran for like 20 seconds...it was idling fine...i turned it off

20220315_165813.jpg

Actually, looking through some catalogs, it appears as though there may have been some 360’s that used the “small” 2bbl in 1980.
Which is about the year they used 051 heads....... so that stuff might all be “correct” together.

All the 360-2bbl intakes I’ve seen used the bigger carb, and had “360” sized ports.
That's not an '80 model carb.

SHES ALIVE!!!!! i made sure the battery was charged and cranked it a bit and BAMMMM it came to life....she is loud and she is leaky...i have several leaks i need to address below but hopefully it is minor...probably need to address the motor mounts also...saw this on the driver side...trying to find a pic of how this is suppose to look so i can figure out what is missing

View attachment 1715889047
First I would replace both engine mounts. But the bolt head is soposed to be out side the Gruve and sitting down in the cut out of the k frame engine mount. Also it looks like the flat washer is missing

It looks good under the valve covers, like it's been gone through and freshened up or very low mileage and well maintained. The 051 heads were also used on 318 four barrel applications. I have seen them on a 318 with a 360 two barrel intake and Holley 2245 carb. Good place for a 1971 factory iron four barrel intake or an aftermarket aluminum intake.

Why can't it have a 360 intake and 2bbl? Seems just as reasonable that someone would swap a running 360 2bbl in rather than a 360 long block and use the 318 intake and carb.

If it is a matching 360 intake and carb, makes sense to just getting running and worry about the 4bbl until later.

Just a though.
I did just that back in the 80s a 360-2bbl intake and carb on a 318. Dead, stone stock, 77 long block. ran pretty decent. this engine was in a 76 Charger SE (twin to the Cordoba) manifold and carb came off the Charger's original engine.

Last edited:
-
Back