Trying to figure out a plan of attack on my new toy

-

hotairgypsy

Reaction score
just picked up today a 73 dodge dart that was advertised as a 318....well i get home and decode the vin and it says it came with a 383...well i was all excited but i was told the engine was swapped...so i went under the hood and looked at the stamped numbers on the block...
comes back as the following

4179930 – 1975 – 1993, 360 LA-series small-block

so i bought this car as a fixer upper not running..they said it needed a carb...i am not worried after 50 plus years things change...so i got to make all this right...this block has a carter 0-2361 carb on it ...what i dont know is did they change the short block and reuse the 318 stuff or all 360 stuff...so how would you all attack this to make it all a go...i dont even know if the carter 2361 is the right carb for the 360...do i need to look for the part number on the heads? will that change anything...just trying to get focused on a plan of attack...any guidance would be appreaciated...

20220314_172833.jpg

Welcome to the best Mopar site around! There are plenty of real experts here who are glad to help.

thank you...i am soooooo excited to be part of the club....been wanting an oldie for a long time...i guess i better show the project so all knows its real...i have not even unloaded it...i have to take it for title work tomorrow so just leaving it on the trailer but trying to get a jump on part ordering

20220314_151034.jpg

20220314_151046.jpg

You could start with photos of the engine so we can see the intake, heads, oil pan, serial number on the passenger side.

Things definitely get swapped around over the years. Looks like you have a 72 front end, and its missing front and rear side markers, so definitely "customized" car looks nice tho

is the number from the block i upload on top good enough for the block or do i need to go look over the passenger side....the pic above is from the driver side

Welcome to the site! Nice lookin' car.
One thing I can tell you beyond all doubt, your car was not a factory 383. The swan song for factory big block A bodies was 1969.
If your car is a '73, then a '72 front clip was put on it.
Give us the first 6 digits of the vin and we can tell you what it really is- If it's in need of title work, you don't want any surprises...
Make sure the dash vin matches the stamped numbers on the radiator yoke, there are also numbers stamped under the trunk seal.
'73 Dart front end:
OIP.2oo5MeIXqtajIRccz1kNMgHaFj?w=220&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

just picked up today a 73 dodge dart that was advertised as a 318....well i get home and decode the vin and it says it came with a 383...
No ‘73 Dart ever came with a 383.

well i was all excited but i was told the engine was swapped...so i went under the hood and looked at the stamped numbers on the block...
comes back as the following

4179930 – 1975 – 1993, 360 LA-series small-block

so i bought this car as a fixer upper not running..they said it needed a carb...i am not worried after 50 plus years things change...so i got to make all this right...this block has a carter 0-2361 carb on it ...
Not many of us are numbers experts that know what carb you have by just stating the numbers on it.
2 or 4 barrel?

what i dont know is did they change the short block and reuse the 318 stuff or all 360 stuff...so how would you all attack this to make it all a go...
Just get it running. What does the car not have?
Battery?
Fuel tank?
Distributor?
Oil?
Gas?

i dont even know if the carter 2361 is the right carb for the 360...
The carb can be retuned no matter what it is.

do i need to look for the part number on the heads? will that change anything...
Possibly! Depends on what you want to do with the car/engine/performance.

just trying to get focused on a plan of attack...any guidance would be appreaciated...

Start with paragraphs! OMG dude!
Start with just getting it running.
A factory service manual is a big bonus plus to have.
Figure out what it is you want to do with your car. What is it you want out of it?[/QUOTE]

vin is LH23G3BXXXXXX....Door vin tag and dash match the title...need to look under the hood

Last edited:
Looks like a dead stock engine minus the headers, chrome valve covers and aftermarket wires.
Look near the spark plugs to see if there is a letter embossed/cast into the head.

That’s a dry nice looking car.

And welcome aboard

1973 high option dart hardtop. Came stock with a 318, side of block will have the displacement cast into it of the current motor.

as for getting it running i have not tried anything as of yet...i just got home a couple of hours ago from picking it up...i need to do all the basics of course but want to make sure i dont have unwanted parts that could hinder the starting process...already have to address basics on the carb but was just considering replacing it if that is a better option

20220314_164404.jpg

G code is 318

Take your time going trough the systems. It sucks when your broken down on the side of the road due to the prior owner being a hack

G code is 318

Take your time going trough the systems. It sucks when your broken down on the side of the road due to the prior owner being a hack

so true...this is a fun car for the misses and me...we have our daily drivers ...i am planning on taking my time and having fun with it...there are all kinds of wire hacking in the car but this is no biggy to me...been working on modern cars for years so this simple non computer controlled world is a nice change

Looking at the two oval holes in the firewall it came stock with A/C and the heater controls should reflect that. Do get those holes covered for safety.

that is what i was seeing also just want to make sure i understand what i am seeing...this block was changed out...at least the short block...no idea what all was reused from the 318 that is had from factory....

so when i order parts for the engine then i need to find part for a 1975+ 360 ...i am wanting to but the typical tune up crap ie dist cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc

I'm going to say you have someone's hot rod project.
We can see he didn't get it all together.

Plan of attack.
A. Learn what critical parts are missing or misconnected.

B. Decide what your short term and long term goal is, once you know the above.

Did it come with an air cleaner?

Last edited:
I'm going to say you have someone's hot rod project.
We can see he didn't get it all together.

Plan of attack.
A. Learn what critical parts are missing or misconnected.

B. Decide what your short term and long term goal is, one you know the above.

Did it come with an air cleaner?

yes it has the air cleaner...just removed to get my pics....doesnt look like the carb has an electric choke so researching carb options with electric chokes to kill 2 birds with one stone

a 360 with a 2bbl and an RV cam will shred the tires....but will quickly tail off after about 4000 RPM. It may be a great street brawler as is. Just get it running and mash the gas to find out what you got. Buddy had a stock 302 in a 67 (68?) Mustang Only added headers and that car could smoke the 10" tires at will.

-
Back