trying to find oil pump relief spring please assist

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
Looking to find oil pump bypass relief spring part # P3690944.
This spring should change bypass pressure from 50 to 70 psi.
I've called several places without any luck. Being told they're on back order.
Does anyone please have access info? This spring is holding up my project.

Local shop mentioned adding flat washers to end of spring to increase bypass pressure.
Has anyone used this method?

See if you can find a rebuild kit for it. I think it comes with the standard spring and the higher pressure spring. You'll have to spend 20 bucks probably, but you will have it.

I would try a ball bearing in there. I dont think a washer would do jack.

Ok. I do appreciate the responses.
Surely dont mind spending a few bucks to get my spring or achieve the goal in another fashion. Whats a few more $. Up to my elbows in pricey new parts already.

I Really want to pursue this 65-70lb pypass pressure thing.

Machinist I spoke to mentioned using 3 washers with a specific combined ht for the 3. I'd rather change the spring as my book has indicated.

Thnx

Ok. I do appreciate the responses.
Surely dont mind spending a few bucks to get my spring or achieve the goal in another fashion. Whats a few more $. Up to my elbows in pricey new parts already.

I Really want to pursue this 65-70lb pypass pressure thing.

Machinist I spoke to mentioned using 3 washers with a specific combined ht for the 3. I'd rather change the spring as my book has indicated.

Thnx
use to use the washer deal on my 406 sbc---bob

This is old school,, before performance parts were readily avail,..

I use a 3/16 nut, with the tips ground of,, so it slides right to the end of the press relief valve, then put in the old spring, cap and pin.. The thickness of the nut is aprox 100 thou..

I've done it this way from before the "super" spring was avail., and it was merely a mentioned in Hot Rod mags.. ..

In prob 50+ applications, It has NEVER failed, or caused a problem ,, and it does bump the pressure about 10 -20 lbs depending on the engine, but total press has never been more than 80 lb cold..

I'll put on my fire-suit before I post,,.. lol

hope it helps

Ok. If its a proven method that's bad ***.

Just how hard is it to re-compres the spring and get the press plug back in? Sounds silly just have to ask if there is a trick thats takes most the bs out of re assembly.

Can you re use the plug? If so, how do you remove it without destroying it?

I'm sure its painfully obvious I have not done this before as I am not a pro engine builder. I appreciate the help!

I use a small drill to put a hole in the plug, and screw a self-tapping into it,, and pull it out.. I can't remember if the mopar pump plug has to seal, I've done this mod to all breeds, so I would replace the plug with new,, or weld/braze up the hole if nec.. clean everything of course..

I've never put a plug in without having the "spacer" in there,, and never had any trouble re-installing ...

PS.. after doing all this work to the pump,, make sure it turns before you install it .. sometimes the idler gear is installed upside down,, and seizes the pump.. and that's not discovered till fire up, and no oil press..

PPS - While this may not be Recommended Service Proceedure now,, it was wayyy back then.. cheers

hope it helps

-
Back